Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White only taxi drivers need get in line in Dublin

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

Pottler wrote: »
    You're wrong Michelle, you having no sense of humour and another person in the next room having one does balance out - it's a known fact. It's called See-Saws Second law. You should google it. Oh, and the other poster may not in fact really be Mildred.

Again you dont know me and shouldn't comment on my sense of humor!.. This is not a forum for jokes and sense of humor and thats a fact!

When I need to laugh or something, I know where to go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Can people not see that some people are annoyed the goverment still giving out PPS numbers for low level jobs to Non EU nationals?

Myabe for a while close the door give some young Irish a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I get a distinct sense of PC here. What if the rank was manned by all black taxi men? Would the OP be on here giving out if that were the case? Somehow I doubt it.

Personally, and while I am not a racist, if I had a choice bewteen a black and a white taxi man and all other things being equal I would probably go for the white one. At the very least you could probably have a decent conversation with the native fella as he'd know the place and everthing. I doubt you could have the same level of normal "Dub conversation" with a Congolese man in fainess. ie who would be more likely to want to chat about the hurling or the soccer match and rant about the gubberment. I doubt you would get the smae from a blaxi.

I have nothing against blacks per se, I would just prefer a white driver. Surely I shoudl be entitled to choose which taxi i go home in without being called racist because I have nothing in particular against them

If you don't want to be called a racist- don't espouse racist attitudes like pretty much everything you have said in this post

If only the comma there was a "but" I would've got racist thread bingo.

As for having better chats with white taxi drivers I find that constantly giving out about other taxi drivers doesn't entertain me massively while plenty of blacks and whites are perfectly capable of talking about football and the weather.

Thats why im not ready to give up on Ireland yet. It is because of people like you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Few things.
    -lots of taxi drivers are indeed racist pigs, lots aren't of course, lots hide it well so it's no supprise this is happening.
    -Ireland has a problem with racism. It's ugly and we try to pretend everyone is welcome, really we like them to come and do jobs we don't want to, bin men etc, we don't want them getting notions and taking our good jObs.
    -someone suggested no regulation. Seriously, are there not enough criminals with plates. Some regulation is required.
    - seeing people defending and excusing racism in this thread is sickening , disgraceful.
    -OP hardly expected a frank decent discussion about racism in the AF forum, that was indeed foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It was a joke? I hope you dont need the Mod to tell you that you need to stick to the point. You can look for a funny forum and joke around all you want. This is serious
    You've been warned about back-seat modding before. Stop it.

/mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I hate the denial of Racism in Ireland and the lack of will to deal with it. The man has rights . The excuses are a disgrace. Taxi drivers often feel the need to deliver racist rants mid-tansit about everyone. Polish Black people etc.

'We have people immigrating they should all give upp their jobs and their houses'..IT IS RIDICULOUS we have youngpeople going abroad having to deal with being foreign and taking jobs often very well paid ones away from others and i hope they get a more sophisticated and generous welcome.

We have people immigrating to coutries where i am sure they meet the same attitude, these people are the same that give us a hard time. Talk about hypocracy. We expect the worl to accept our immigrants. Well that mmeans we must accept people without racism.

It is time the govt put an end to racist attitudes.

I find it hard to figure out your post, could you change immigration to emigration where needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It was a joke? I hope you dont need the Mod to tell you that you need to stick to the point. You can look for a funny forum and joke around all you want. This is serious

..just because you didn't get it...;)

wprathead wrote: »
    ..just because you didn't get it...;)

Based on your comment, is everyone meant to get a joke? Again get back to the thread and not talk about some joke.

• Advertisement

I don't like whatabouttery but (:P) in comparative terms Ireland is pretty OK when it comes to the ould racism. We have one of the highest proportions of foreign-born population in the world and so far at least it hasn't caused any major problems despite the somewhat poor handling of it by the government in several ways. In terms of day-to-day racism the vast majority is the "harmless" old-timey racism or else it's arseholes who if they weren't picking on someone for being foreign they'd find someone with long hair or a ginger or something instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't like whatabouttery but (:P) in comparative terms Ireland is pretty OK when it comes to the ould racism. We have one of the highest proportions of foreign-born population in the world and so far at least it hasn't caused any major problems despite the somewhat poor handling of it by the government in several ways. In terms of day-to-day racism the vast majority is the "harmless" old-timey racism or else it's arseholes who if they weren't picking on someone for being foreign they'd find someone with long hair or a ginger or something instead.

The aul racism or the good old-timey racism.
    Sure don't we all love it! :pac:

Fecking non-Irish feckers! Taking up my job!
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'll listen to American music on a Chinese made gadget while watching non-Irish sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

@michelle. From your vigorous arguement you put up, I think you have actually proved his point that you indeed have no sense of humour.

Own goal there michelle

ah c'mon, we are pretty racist now Buttonftw- I'v cousin who is black and she gets some amount of abuse now and then, it is upsetting- just because you don't witness it daily doesn't mean it is there

that said- Ireland thankfully doesn't have any crazy-neo-fascist-white pride movements (or atleast any of note) like in the UK, USA, main land europe and Russia, so that is something I guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's not that they're racist against the blacks being taximen.
    They're pissed off because it's so easy to get a plate now. That and they're a bunch of selling and buying under the counter of taxi plates so half the time that nice taxi driver that lost a fare to the white one probably has no clue where you live.

You say that as if the white "local" lads know their way around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great fun in Galway and the new estates with names as Gaelige :pac:

Cúirt na Rasaí my good man

Whaaaa :confused:
    You show, I go ;)

• Advertisement

@michelle. From your vigorous arguement you put up, I think you have actually proved his point that you indeed have no sense of humour.

Own goal there michelle

Haha, well I am serious about some things.

Have you lived in another country b4? Like for 1 year or something? I doubt you don't. Immigrants are very sensitive with somethings based on their experience, and you don't expect them to joke about it when its serious to them and they're trying to prove a point. Get it?

hardCopy wrote: »
    You say that as if the white "local" lads know their way around!

Just the other month I wanted to go to a place about 15 minutes walk from where I live. I say to the nice driver where he's to go.
    Says to me "isn't that out by Kildare, gonna cost you about 40 euro".

Guess what the race of the driver was.

ah c'mon, we are pretty racist now Buttonftw- I'v cousin who is black and she gets some amount of abuse now and then, it is upsetting- just because you don't witness it daily doesn't mean it is there

that said- Ireland thankfully doesn't have any crazy-neo-fascist-white pride movements (or atleast any of note) like in the UK, USA, main land europe and Russia, so that is something I guess..

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lillywhite? :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Great fun in Galway and the new estates with names as Gaelige :pac:

Cúirt na Rasaí my good man

Whaaaa :confused:
    You show, I go ;)

Yeah even normal placenames like Bally or Killina type ones the do not get it quickly. I guess to them it would be like the way we cant't get what they say when the are all like "whaa-bab-bab-bab-bab-bab" or whatever. I remember when I was in my friends house in college, one of his housemates was a black woman, and she was always on the phone ringing home to Africa. Jeez, the loud conversations were some laugh with the way she was babbling on. Real loud too. We'd be in stitches laughing at it. Twas comical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

White taxi drivers in Dublin? This I gotta see!

Just the other month I wanted to go to a place about 15 minutes walk from where I live. I say to the nice driver where he's to go.

Yellow? Green?

Lillywhite? :)

Bit racist aren't ya! :pac:
    But yeah, Dublin accent on him and all.

Haha, well I am serious about some things.

Have you lived in another country b4? Like for 1 year or something? I doubt you don't. Immigrants are very sensitive with somethings based on their experience, and you don't expect them to joke about it when its serious to them and they're trying to prove a point. Get it?

I couldn't care less. In the general case, it's not one persons problem if another person has a rod up their hole.

Are you German by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Again you dont know me and shouldn't comment on my sense of humor!.. This is not a forum for jokes and sense of humor and thats a fact!

When I need to laugh or something, I know where to go
    After Hours? I've heard it can be funny somtimes.

I couldn't care less. In the general case, it's not one persons problem if another person has a rod up their hole.

Are you German by any chance?

Is it not? Cos I have seen people that were prosecuted cos they saw something about or happening to someone but chose to keep it silent or do not want to do anything about it.

Am I German by any chance? Im not going to answer that question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Based on your comment, is everyone meant to get a joke? Again get back to the thread and not talk about some joke.

Banned

Re-reg.

Is it not? Cos I have seen people that were prosecuted cos they saw something about or happening to someone but chose to keep it silent or do not want to do anything about it.

Seriously, you must be kidding me. You hardly took that literally did you.

Christ, I'm off to bed. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Am I German by any chance? Im not going to answer that question
    Soo, Michelle, them Black taxi drivers? Whatcher think about them? Fair ball I say, what's that?? Stasi? No, never did? You're not from around here, are you? Feckin Foreidgners, coming over here quoting our posts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

I think both sides are pretty competitive!

There is a rank near the google building that is for black taxi drivers only. One day a white taxi driver tried to park at it and one of the black guys jumped out of his car and started shouting at him. So he just drove off!

It's the competition and lack of work causing the madness. It's not just the taxi industry. A lot of Irish people have the chip that foreign workers are "taking our jobs"!

If it was the boom we wouldnt be seeing/hearing any of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Chinasea wrote: »
    I haven't been using taxis lately and I know there has been a few threads about Dublin taxi drivers (the yob variety), BUT I could not believe what I saw last night in Grand Canal Dock.

A black tax driver was trying to pull up to pick up a fare outside one of the office blocks and a security guard lifted what looked like a poker and started whielding it at the taxi. Then when we came outside later to get a taxi I noticed that the rank was manned by all white taxi men and it was apparent that this was a white only rank too!

I am sickened at this. I Googled 'Dublin Taxi Drivers' and found some articles and blogs talking about the fact that many of the taxi ranks are completely monopolised by these brutes. OMG, this is shameful.

usually these threads are locked or only permitted if you do not criticise black taxi drivers in any way.

i misread it. its criticising white taxi drivers. thats okay.

Chinasea wrote: »
    I haven't been using taxis lately and I know there has been a few threads about Dublin taxi drivers (the yob variety), BUT I could not believe what I saw last night in Grand Canal Dock.

A black tax driver was trying to pull up to pick up a fare outside one of the office blocks and a security guard lifted what looked like a poker and started whielding it at the taxi. Then when we came outside later to get a taxi I noticed that the rank was manned by all white taxi men and it was apparent that this was a white only rank too!

I am sickened at this. I Googled 'Dublin Taxi Drivers' and found some articles and blogs talking about the fact that many of the taxi ranks are completely monopolised by these brutes. OMG, this is shameful.

boo hoo. those racist Irish picking on n innocent black man

Who pays the security mans wages?

Is he a taximan taking a few hours off to watch for his comrades?

Do they take turns monitoring the rank?

maybe the innocent black taxi driver was trying to park where he was not permitted. they have to obey the same rules as anyone else.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe the innocent black taxi driver was trying to park where he was not permitted. they have to obey the same rules as anyone else.

Not necessarily. If a person is a holder of a valid race card, the normal rules and regulations don't apply:D:rolleyes:

If there was ever a balls made of something, it was the taxi situation. I'm not involved in the business in any way but I sympathize for long term career cabbies. Every man and his dog seems to be at it these days, talk about flooding the market.

Nothing worse then getting into a cab in an Irish city/town and the cab driver doesn't know where how to get where you want to go

there is a system and way of doing things among taxi drivers. it applies to taxi drivers who are black, red or blue.

using the race card for doing your own thing works at the moment but will eventually wear thin.

Nothing worse then getting into a cab in an Irish city/town and the cab driver doesn't know where how to get where you want to go[/QUOTE]

thats when I get out again. If I see a sour pus on the cabbie whether he be black or white I do not get in. if I wanted negativity I would switch on liveline

there is a system and way of doing things among taxi drivers. it applies to taxi drivers who are black, red or blue.

using the race card for doing your own thing works at the moment but will eventually wear thin.

That was one of the complaints I heard most from taxidrivers; that it's a lot easier ot get taxi plates now. So practically anyone can get them putting the legitimate ones in a bad situation

the OP hasn't really given enough information for us to know what happened

I am hoping that the security man was moving him because he was skipping the queue, and if it was- it was rightly so

However, if was moved purely due to his race..
    ..the idea that there are "white only" or "black only" ANYTHING is/would be extremely disturbing

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Few things.
    -lots of taxi drivers are indeed racist pigs, lots aren't of course, lots hide it well so it's no supprise this is happening.
    -Ireland has a problem with racism. It's ugly and we try to pretend everyone is welcome, really we like them to come and do jobs we don't want to, bin men etc, we don't want them getting notions and taking our good jObs.
    -someone suggested no regulation. Seriously, are there not enough criminals with plates. Some regulation is required.
    - seeing people defending and excusing racism in this thread is sickening , disgraceful.
    -OP hardly expected a frank decent discussion about racism in the AF forum, that was indeed foolish.

is there a country on the planet that is not racist?
    are blacks capable of racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

boo hoo. those racist Irish picking on n innocent black man

So is this going to be one of these threads where you whinge about not being allowed to be racist, how the white man is the oppressed one and the jews are after you? I'd say it is.

is there a country on the planet that is not racist?
    does that make it right?
    are blacks capable of racism?
    obviously they are, but again, does that make it right?

the OP hasn't really given enough information for us to know what happened

I am hoping that the security man was moving him because he was skipping the queue, and if it was- it was rightly so

However, if was moved purely due to his race..
    ..the idea that there are "white only" or "black only" ANYTHING is/would be extremely disturbing

apparently some blacks choose a black driver over an Irish driver.

We are done here.

Far too generalised for reasoned discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement