Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS scheme tenants

Options
  • 20-09-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am in process of renting out a two bed apartment in north Dublin and want to get a tenant on the RAS scheme. Do local authorities put landlords in touch with potential RAS tenants on their books? Has anyone out there tried to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You register with the council but it's down to you to find tenants.

Go on to gumtree.ie, under Properties and place an ad seeking RAS tenants, or place an ad in the paper.
    RAS tenants are always looking for willing landlords so you'll snap one up straight away.

The council don't put landlords in touch with tenants (which always baffled me especially when both parties were actively seeking) so you still need to find the tenant yourself.

Then when you've found one, the tenant will do the legwork, i.e informing the council that they've found a property, and the council will contact you to explain the scheme.

Be aware that the council don't pay the full rent you're looking for..they pay a reduced amount because as far as they're concerned, you're getting a long term tenant. (Minimum 5 years, but you can sign up for 10.)

You can also sign responsibility for the property over to the council for the duration of the tenancy, and then you'll get the rent you're asking for, but only if you let the council take over the responsibilities...bear in mind this means that if your tenant moves out, the council will be the ones who replace him/her.

If you want full responsibility over the property, you'll get a reduced rent but then you also have the option of coming off the scheme after the agreed tenancy has ended.

So, to summarise, you need to place an ad seeking RAS tenants.
    I've seen many people searching for landlords on gumtree, but you could try other sites too.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oxandbucks

im looking for a landlord under this scheme,have been renting a property for the last six months and haveing lots of trouble with our landlord so myself and partner and child want to leave our current apartment,ive sent you a pm

Advertisement