Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Shelving Unit made

Options
  • 20-09-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

As per picture (don't mind my awful drawing skills):

shelvingunit_zps84f70347.jpg

It doesn't have to be very strong. It's not a wine rack or not to store other heavy item like books etc. It's for storing wool yanks :D

What material would be the best to use? I want it to be gray or gray-bown color. What price should I expect to pay for it? If anybody know a carpenter who does this kind of work please let me know. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Prob use an mdf and paint it what ever colour you want there is a bit of work involved in making that infairness.

If your interested I could price it up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Why a lot of work? I'd imagine the inside shelves are boards slotting together, no fixings, and these are held together within outer frame. Well this is the way I'd do it if I had workshop, tools and materials...

so how much you'd estimate this could cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

where are you based? that is not a big job in fairness could be made in a couple of hours:)

co. wicklow.
    I don't want it to be massive structure made of thick boards etc. - nice light elegant shelving unit to organize my wool, that's all I want. It doesn't need the base or feet either, and I would fix the top to the wall to prevent it from falling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

It's not exactly difficult to make but it would be considered time consuming doing all the slots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It would need a back to stop it racking and to strengthen it for wall mounting.
    All those 45 to 90 degree joints would need careful mitering if its not to look awful. I would say there is at least 2 days work to do it properly.

joints aren't 90 degrees...
    ah well, I might just pay a visit to ikea instead...

j@utis wrote: »
    joints aren't 90 degrees...
    ah well, I might just pay a visit to ikea instead...

The diagonals hit the verticals at an acute angle of 45 degrees and each other at 90 degrees. It would be much easier to make a ' pigeon hole ' construction with vertical uprights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I agree, its quite a bit of work, more so that its tricky ok and wouls be time consuming. I did one myself for the back of a room. I did a pigeon hole style though. Its about 5 across by 7 holes high. Took me a week to do it!
    I'd say that could be done with just thin plywood.

Cheers , Good luck

;) If it didn't have a back it would sag like a concertina.For neatness that needs a rebate into 12mm mdf sides at least. The shelves could be 6mm mdf.
    MDF takes a way better paint finish than plywood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement