Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The evenings

• 20-09-2012 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

They're bet lads. The depressing Irish Winter begins. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I love the dark evenings/mornings. I love christmas, I love snow and ice.....however I hate constantly being freezing in my house, and when I go outside. I dont mind a bit of cold but I just wish it wasnt so errr "painful"?.

I wish we got boiling hot summers, and freezing snowy winters. Then Id be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I forgot how much colder it gets!

Well at the end of the day, there has to be evenings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't care about the cold or the rain, in fact I absolutely love it, the harder it falls the better.

I just hate getting up in the morning when it's dark out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well at the end of the day, there has to be evenings.

No, that's called the night.

And yes, I'm aware someone is going to give me a smart answer because of my smart one.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The depressing Irish Winter begins. :(

I don't mind the winter that much, though it means it can be pretty dangerous where I live. The roads near my house are hilly and are left untreated. Also, my water gets cut off :(

/fills bath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I blame the imminent autumnal equinox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Anyone think we'll have another Winter 2010 i.e snow and lots of it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

a fat guy wrote: »
    I forgot how much colder it gets!

You're going to be devastated when it actually gets cold so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Abi wrote: »
    I don't mind the winter that much, though it means it can be pretty dangerous where I live. The roads near my house are hilly and are left untreated. Also, my water gets cut off :(

/fills bath
    Enjoy those baths while you can, when this water charge comes in you'll be washing yourself in a basin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm sure there are boardsies on the weather forum stocking up on lube and Kleenex in anticipation of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The evenings are getting colder alright, in fact I think I'm gonna bring a wooly hat to football tonight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Mickeroo wrote: »

Oddly enough, this time of year feels colder than it used to...

I do like the weather, but waiting for a lift in the cold is annoying!

I can't wait for Halloween and Christmas... And for it to get dark really early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mickeroo wrote: »

Exactly my thoughts last week when I saw a woman out gardening with a coat and furry hat.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

a fat guy wrote: »
    Oddly enough, this time of year feels colder than it used to...

I do like the weather, but waiting for a lift in the cold is annoying!

I can't wait for Halloween and Christmas... And for it to get dark really early!

We didn't get the usual back to school heatwave this year tis true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Now that I'm living in Dublin breathing in smog and the fumes from teaspoons of heroin on the streets I really miss going home from school as a young lad and lighting up the nice turf fire and lying down in front of it of a winters evening.

I am some culchie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Now that I'm living in Dublin breathing in smog and the fumes from teaspoons of heroin on the streets I really miss going home from school as a young lad and lighting up the nice turf fire and lying down in front of it of a winters evening.

I am some culchie.

When you say 'lying down' in front of the turf fire , does this mean you have no furniture in hovel house ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mattjack wrote: »
    When you say 'lying down' in front of the turf fire , does this mean you have no furniture in hovel house ?

No house just lying down in the bog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

This is a colder than "normal" September - the Ice Age Cometh ........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It is indeed. I was chilly in my t-shirt at work today. Might wear a light pullover tomorrow. FFS, it's hardly the antarctic. Women in my gaff are all moaning about the cold, no idea why they don't just make the sammitches faster to keep warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think i have SADS i hate the cold weather and the dark evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I love the cold crisp mornings, when you walk out the door its like you've stuck your head in a bucket of ice, really helps wake you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Pottler wrote: »
    It is indeed. I was chilly in my t-shirt at work today. Might wear a light pullover tomorrow. FFS, it's hardly the antarctic. Women in my gaff are all moaning about the cold, no idea why they don't just make the sammitches faster to keep warm.

Women are always cold, it's crazy!

My mothers workplace has all women, the heat is on most of the year. The ice caps melting is solely down to wimmen!

Put on a bloody jumper!!!!!

blacklilly wrote: »
    I love the cold crisp mornings, when you walk out the door its like you've stuck your head in a bucket of ice, really helps wake you up.
    Indeed. Sadly, sticking my head in a bucket of ice is somthing I'd do as a form of torture rather than a pleasure. I'd rather stick my head in a bucket of cool Coors, given the choice. I like the summer. It's summeryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

My mothers workplace has all women, the heat is on most of the year. The ice caps melting is solely down to wimmen!

Maybe women feel the cold so much more because men are crap at keeping us WARM ....! Defo a new thread poll in the making ....!:D

All women?

Nope, I'm hot!

Eden3 wrote: »

Maybe women feel the cold so much more because men are crap at keeping us WARM ....! Defo a new thread poll in the making ....!:D

As pointed out make sandwiches quicker and faster!

You will be warmer, men will never be hungry, win win!

I should be minister of heat!

Pottler wrote: »
    summeryer.

Great adjective

blacklilly wrote: »
    Great adjective
    I thought so too. I was fairly sure it was an old one though. It has a summery ring to it. Downside of winter is the ashes, and the "get some coal". I hate "getting coal" and I hate feckin ashes. I dream of the Canaries - permawarm. lovely. Probably wear thin as well though.

• Advertisement

That's the only advantage of living with a man, he gets the coal and cleans out the ashes, plus you only have to do it for less than half a year! We have to make sandwiches all year round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Big disagree with you there, OH went to bed the other night and asked when was the electric blanket and winter duvet going on the bed!!!

I was just after opening both windows in bedroom, HE has started wearing these sports body warmer tops under his shirt going to work last week.

If he puts on the heating before Nov. I'll scream, stove is warm enough. Deep breath rant over......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm looking forward to the dark evenings. I think this Summer completely dragged and went on forever so I'm looking forward to Christmas and the cold weather :)

Big disagree with you there, OH went to bed the other night and asked when was the electric blanket and winter duvet going on the bed!!!

I was just after opening both windows in bedroom, HE has started wearing these sports body warmer tops under his shirt going to work last week.

If he puts on the heating before Nov. I'll scream, stove is warm enough. Deep breath rant over......

I can only assume you are actually married to a women?!

If not straight to the solicitors tomorrow for divorce papers!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

well that was a depressing opening post :(

I really feel sorry for my OH when it gets to this time of the year coz summer los is lovely and warm although she can't hold your hand because of this, winter los is a permanent ice-cube, she will cling to you for warmth 24/7 and freeze you in the process, you may mistake this for affection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I can only assume you are actually married to a women?!

If not straight to the solicitors tomorrow for divorce papers!

:P

Hmmm, food for thought ;) he is a great chef though, decisions decisions.....

• Advertisement

I generally prefer winter to summer but when some days work out that I don't see any natural light whatsoever it can feel a little bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I just hate the cost of the heating in winter, my ****ing electricity bill doubles in the the ****ing winter, I hate the cold mornings too, other than that the weather doesn't really bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I love a crisp cold day. Hot weather makes me irritable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Positive things about the pending darkness:

You don't have to see the white sky *white sky* (Brick from The Middle) :)
    that we live with and have had all summer (and since Ireland began, circa 1916). The dark eradicates this.

Also when it's dark it's really comforting to get back home and switch your 'mood' lighting on (and no I don't mean for the sex).
    I place lamps on the floor, have one with an orange shade outside the bedroom door, really creates a lovely, warming glow
    (note to self: must now buy a salt rock lamp).

There really is nothing colder than...the cold light of day.
    Winter: BRING IT ON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I hope so. '09 was as cold as '10 and both were nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement