Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the curtain pole was pulled off the wall

• 20-09-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

The child is in bed-no story and feeling very sorry for himself!

An attempt to put a bigger plug into the wall has failed as the plaster seems to have crumbled around it. (he did a right job on it). The hole is about 1/2 cm. Trying to be clever I put a good strong metal plug in beside it but somehow the bloody thing bent and I can't get it out!

In the past I have tried polyfilla type stuff that claims to be drillable when dry but it's never worked- Can anyone recommend a miracle product for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

axel rose wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a miracle product for me?

no miracle product

a good handy man with the right tools and fixings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I refuse to pay a handyman to do such a small job! So any advice on the right tools and fixings then!

long rawl plugs and screws that reach the blockwork behind the slab

Hi Meercat,

I have a weird wall. I tried a version of the plugs you used....thats what is bent and stuck in the wall :(.

Now I'm limited as to how far over I can move.....There is maybe 3-4 inches before I hit the wall behind the plasterboard.

Theres a dragons den idea somewhere in this....

• Advertisement

Hi Meercat,

I have a weird wall. I tried a version of the plugs you used....thats what is bent and stuck in the wall :(.

Now I'm limited as to how far over I can move.....There is maybe 3-4 inches before I hit the wall behind the plasterboard.

Theres a dragons den idea somewhere in this....

you need to drill the concrete
    you may not have drilled in far enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Extra long screws.....

The hole in the plasterboard is about 1/2 a cm wide though. I haven't seen a drill bit that is long enough to get in through the plasterboard and then into the block behind it.

There has got to be an easier way.

<Why hasn't someone invented magic putty or a wide rawl plug for a normal screw?>

Do they even exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

You need to move the position of the holes of the pole holder by 20ml, drill , put in wood wall plugs, you can make these yourself with a good Stanley knife, job done.

they will never move again, you should be able to do chin ups on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Very easy and simple fix here..........................

100mm frame fixers.

SDS Drill and 8mm sds masonary bit,or a normal hammer drill and 8mm masonary drill bit.

Drill wall to 100mm depth.

Fit frame fixer plug,then fit screw through curtain pole bracket.

Screw into place with a size 3 pozi bit.

Simples.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

The hole in the plasterboard is about 1/2 a cm wide though. I haven't seen a drill bit that is long enough to get in through the plasterboard and then into the block behind it.

There has got to be an easier way.

<Why hasn't someone invented magic putty or a wide rawl plug for a normal screw?>

Do they even exist?

The fixings that Meercat linked to are the way forward. The long metal ones that you may have used can be far more difficult to remove.

If I were in your position I would buy a long drill bit to first drill out the metal fixing if it cannot be pulled out. I would then move sideways as far as you can go and drill through the plasterboard and into the block deep enough to insert the rawl plug that Meercat linked to. The screw/nail that is inserted is usually hammer in and screw out if needed. You may need to buy the longer drill bits. It they should be available in any builders providers.

See my post above with pictures of what to do.

No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

The fixings that Meercat linked to are the way forward. The long metal ones that you may have used can be far more difficult to remove.

If I were in your position I would buy a long drill bit to first drill out the metal fixing if it cannot be pulled out. I would then move sideways as far as you can go and drill through the plasterboard and into the block deep enough to insert the rawl plug that Meercat linked to. The screw/nail that is inserted is usually hammer in and screw out if needed. You may need to buy the longer drill bits. It they should be available in any builders providers.

used them, but for some reason if you have weight they will move and eventually drop.

used them, but for some reason if you have weight they will move and eventually drop.

No they dont.

How do you thinks radiators are fixed to insulated plasterboard walls in houses??;)

And also heavy curtain poles and lined curtains too.

paddy147 wrote: »
    See my post above with pictures of what to do.

No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

but it is good to know how to do this if times are bad.

but it is good to know how to do this if times are bad.

Well now you know (as a few of us have said to you now).;):)

100mm frame fixers.

SDS Drill and 8mm sds masonary bit,or a normal hammer drill and 8mm masonary drill bit.

post of the day paddy(just the job)
    how do you remember to take all the pictures:D

meercat wrote: »
    post of the day paddy(just the job)
    how do you remember to take all the pictures:D

I like pictures.....;):D

Very handy to have a disc or media card full of pictures,incase you ever need or want to look back over things.

I like pictures.....;):D

Very handy to have a disc or media card full of pictures,incase you ever need or want to look back over things.

invaluable to this forum paddy
    a picture says a thousand words

• Registered Users Posts: 21 croninmccarthy

100mm frame fixe1rs.

Do all of the above and your sorted. Good advice i would go with it! It dos'nt get much simpler...

• Advertisement

invaluable to this forum paddy
    a picture says a thousand words

My girlfreind hates it when shes working away around the house and garden and I have the camera with me.:pac::D

Well now you know (as a few of us have said to you now).;):)

OK I thought I was just trying to be helpful, I work in an industry where I have to adapt, for some reason I seem to do it well, give me a bin I will give you a Ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I fixed a boards to the wall into the wooden studs. Then fixed the curtain to that. Because the plate for the curtain fitting was too small for those long screws, even if I drilled it bigger.

OK I thought I was just trying to be helpful, I work in an industry where I have to adapt, for some reason I seem to do it well, give me a bin I will give you a Ferrari.

Sure we all have to adapt to and modify things that we come accross each and every day,whether its at work or at home.;)

BostonB wrote: »
    Personally I fixed a boards to the wall into the wooden studs. Then fixed the curtain to that. Because the plate for the curtain fitting was too small for those long screws, even if I drilled it bigger.

yes
    some of the retaining plates are way too small for mounting on plasterboard walls
    they wont allow for bigger fixing screws
    a board mounted behind the rail is a decent alternative

what size bin will i send;)

Sure we all have to adapt to and modify things that we come accross each and every day,whether its at work or at home.;)

Yes I agree, but most people turn to me or you to try to find a solution, for some reason, which I am not sure why, I seem to be able to come up with the solution,

every time once I say we can do it this way they say yes how did we not see it,

not saying I am brilliant, but I can solve problems.

what size bin will i send;)

LOL, one with a, wake up the neighbors engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 insulation man

Use an external wall insulation fixing the will hold up a hanging basket they can hold a curtain pole up available from any external wall insulation contractor

• Advertisement

You can buy large heavy duty and fully adjustable curtain pole brackets in Home Focus for 6 euro per pair.

These brackets come in chrome,stainless steel,satin steel and nickel finish.

They will take frame fixer screws.

Advertisement