Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the curtain pole was pulled off the wall

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

LOL, one with a, wake up the neighbors engine.

its on the way:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

How did it descend to this.

Use an external wall insulation fixing the will hold up a hanging basket they can hold a curtain pole up available from any external wall insulation contractor

welcome to boards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Use an external wall insulation fixing the will hold up a hanging basket they can hold a curtain pole up available from any external wall insulation contractor

You dont hammer in curtain poles for a very good reason or 2.

How did it descend to this.

nothing on the telly

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    nothing on the telly

this is true LOL.

simple thing today, we had to clean eighty miles of guttering, (well prob 10 miles), but the roof slate was protruding into the gutter, we used the garden shovel (the one for the weeds), using our hand was very slow, so I decided to use an empty silcone container to push along the gutter,

it worked a treat, picked up everything, plus I could attach it to a 6 foot stick allowing me to get to places that were never visited in 20 yrs,

I need to sleep now.

simple thing today, we had to clean eighty miles of guttering, (well prob 10 miles), but the roof slate was protruding into the gutter, we used the garden shovel (the one for the weeds), using our hand was very slow, so I decided to use an empty silcone container to push along the gutter,

it worked a treat, picked up everything, plus I could attach it to a 6 foot stick allowing me to get to places that were never visited in 20 yrs,

I need to sleep now.

Sorry,but what has any of that got to do with a fitting a curtain pole and helping the OP??:confused:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sorry,but what has any of that got to do with a fitting a curtain pole and helping the OP??:confused:

IT tells him there are many ways to fix a problem, while it might not be the first thing you think of, you are most likely to be right in thinking there might be a different way to go about it,

tried and tested is there for a reason, don't give up.

IT tells him there are many ways to fix a problem, while it might not be the first thing you think of, you are most likely to be right in thinking there might be a different way to go about it,

tried and tested is there for a reason, don't give up.

so a stick,a shovel and a silicone tube will help him to fix his curtain pole???:pac:

PS-It must have been very hard going to clean out 10 miles of guttering in a day...:pac::pac:

Ladder,MEWP or cherrypicker then????

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    so a stick,a shovel and a silicone tube will help him to fix his curtain pole???:pac:

PS-It must have been very hard going to clean out 10 miles of guttering in a day...:pac::pac:

Ladder,MEWP or cherrypicker then????

your so clever,

im guessing you dont work,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

:D This is brilliant!

I knew that boards would help me! I didn't think it would give me all that and more!

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I reckon I'll be buying a new drill bit as my son has many years ahead of him to pull the rest of the curtains off the wall.

Very much appreciated.....

your so clever,

im guessing you dont work,

IT and Construction Sector in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Great thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I have allways used these :O ooops I knew it was too easy lol

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-310616/itw-spit-driva-tp12-self-drilling-plasterboard-fixing-with-35mm-screw.html

Now they are holding light curtains and have never gave way. ( never been pulled at)
    ( certainly not recommending you use them by the way lol)
    I dont think they would take much abuse though if someone swung out of them. Paddy so with them long screws your bypassing the plasterboard and hitting the hard brick of the outer wall?. I take it you cant use these on a partition stud wall?
    I must use them next time on curtains seem more sturdy

Note to self (keep kids away from my curtains)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My 4yr old brought them down with his Indiana Jones (Jonesy) routine. I assumed all houses would have wood above the window specifically for curtains, all older houses I've lived in did, newer houses not. Another victim of the Celtic Tiger Builder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

BostonB wrote: »
    My 4yr old brought them down with his Indiana Jones (Jonesy) routine. I assumed all houses would have wood above the window specifically for curtains, all older houses I've lived in did, newer houses not. Another victim of the Celtic Tiger Builder.
    Dont go drilling any long holes into block walls..all you need is a four foot of two by one timber..locate the battens that the plasterboard is screwed to..(usually starting at a corner they will be out 16 inches)screw your timber horoizontally on to these battens ..paint same colour as walls...now you have a great surface to mount your curtain pole onto...simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Maudi wrote: »
    Dont go drilling any long holes into block walls..all you need is a four foot of two by one timber..locate the battens that the plasterboard is screwed to..(usually starting at a corner they will be out 16 inches)screw your timber horoizontally on to these battens ..paint same colour as walls...now you have a great surface to mount your curtain pole onto...simples.

that seems even handier:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Just a quick question for Paddy147. Do you drill the new fittings into new holes or use a bit to make the existing holes longer?

Thanks

eire1 wrote: »
    Just a quick question for Paddy147. Do you drill the new fittings into new holes or use a bit to make the existing holes longer?

Thanks

Drill new holes for the frame fixers and patch up the old ones with a dab/skim of quick drying Polyfilla or Ronseal filler.

Once the filler has set and is dry,a very light sand down,a lick of diluted white paint,to prime/seal the filler,and then a lick of paint to match the rest of the wall/walls.

Simples.:)

PS-Make sure your drill is set to "hammer action" when drilling into a concrete wall.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Thanks, I'll do that tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

axel rose wrote: »
    The child is in bed-no story and feeling very sorry for himself!

An attempt to put a bigger plug into the wall has failed as the plaster seems to have crumbled around it. (he did a right job on it). The hole is about 1/2 cm. Trying to be clever I put a good strong metal plug in beside it but somehow the bloody thing bent and I can't get it out!

In the past I have tried polyfilla type stuff that claims to be drillable when dry but it's never worked- Can anyone recommend a miracle product for me?
    axel rose wrote: »
    I refuse to pay a handyman to do such a small job! So any advice on the right tools and fixings then!

Don't blame the child, it's not his fault that your curtain pole wasn't professionally fitted. Be thankful he wasn't injured.
    Lot of the advice on here may be no good for your house. First thing you need to know is how your house was constructed. Just because somebody else has timber at 16 inch centers doesn't mean your house was constructed the same way. An experienced handyman/curtain fitter wouldn't decide what type of plugs/screws to use until he studied the problem.

I know. I made that point 20 posts ago...? :D

2 stroke wrote: »
    Don't blame the child, it's not his fault that your curtain pole wasn't professionally fitted. ....

Not really with you there. My curtains are not a jungle vine regardless of how they were fitted.

You made me think though, one of the rails that was damaged was put up by a professional fitter. Though it didn't come down at the ends as there was timber their, but it has sagged in the middle where they couldn't find wood, and just fixed it to the plaster board. The one I fitted in another room came down after the 3rd swinging, up to them the heavy pasterboard fittings had just pulled slightly. Though they probably caused more damage to the plasterboard when it finally gave way.

Of course the shock of one side coming down, means Boston Jnr finally stopped messing with the curtains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

BostonB wrote: »

I know. I made that point 20 posts ago...? :D
    We are both geniuses then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Boys will be boys and curtains will be jungle vine. When I fit a curtain pole I make the best possible fixing I can get in the wall that I'm given, making sure that it won't comedown without bringing a good lump of wall. That way it's the builder gets the blame not me.
    I try to fit into wood, concrete or stone where possible but sometimes the strongest part of a wall is the plasterboard, If this is the case I find these http://www.google.com/imgres?q=interset+anchor&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACAW&nfpr=1&biw=1024&bih=455&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=oZn54pUwYj2udM:&imgrefurl=http://www.acefixings.com/tornado-m4-x-54mm-cavity-interset-anchor-box-of-50-p2059&docid=hmOZaoPZoaY8dM&itg=1&imgurl=http://images.acefixings.com/product/89ef2292bc8a68b163816b9a35501882.jpg&w=1100&h=700&ei=B_ZcUJr1FYKDhQe3soEY&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=83&vpy=71&dur=438&hovh=179&hovw=282&tx=168&ty=101&sig=111326707806070228802&page=1&tbnh=101&tbnw=171&start=0&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:75 much better than selfdrilling plugs but you need the special tool for pulling them, don't just colapse them by tightening them with a screwdriver it wrecks the slab.

Advertisement