Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters

• 20-09-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello,

It's been two year I'm in Ireland and planning to do my masters, finally next year I'll do it. I am working with the hospitality industry so I thought about enrolling in a hospitality management masters degree. My question is, what are the 'reputable' colleges in Dublin? I took a look at DIT, which seems to be good but rather expensive €11,000 for a year is a lot over of what I was planning to spend (around €8,000). Or is there and grant or something that I can apply to help me pay for it? For non-Eu students?
    It's kinda all new for me so any help is very welcome. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

DIT, UCD, DCU, Trinity would be the most reputable State universities in Dublin. There are a host of private universities who I wouldn't really be able to comment on.

If you're currently in work I would say it'll be tough to get a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BrazIrish

Thanks for the help! Yeah I am in work, so in this case I can try to apply for a loan with the bank maybe? Not the easiest/ cheapest way but I wouldn't need all the amount as I have saved more than 50% and still I think it's worthy applying for a good university as the return in the market afterwards will be better... i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

WRT to getting a loan, some of the colleges have negotiated rates with the banks for their students. Fees tend to be paid in halves, so you might pay half the fees in September (or before) and the other half around Christmas. This would allow you pay half the fees, then get a loan sorted out before the other half were to be paid.

Local councils do a grant scheme for postgrad courses, depending on your income you might be eligible, it certainly can't hurt to apply.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

Thanks again! The bank would be the best solution, can't apply for the grant scheme as it has some immigration and nationality restrictions but thanks anyway! I saw that DIT has an International office in Rathmines, I'll just pop in and get some info on how/ when to apply etc

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

BrazIrish wrote: »
    My question is, what are the 'reputable' colleges in Dublin?
    Don't be concerning yourself with reputations. Focus on the course content and ask yourself which one represents the best value for money.
    ...I think it's worthy applying for a good university as the return in the market afterwards will be better... i guess.
    I think you really need to think about this long and hard, because you're talking about a very large sum of money. Is this masters really going to make you more employable? Are you really going to get a good return on investment? You say you're already working - how does having a masters compare to having relevant experience in terms of earning potential?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I think you really need to think about this long and hard, because you're talking about a very large sum of money. Is this masters really going to make you more employable? Are you really going to get a good return on investment? You say you're already working - how does having a masters compare to having relevant experience in terms of earning potential?

Hi djpbarry, I agree it is a large quite expensive and I really hope the investment is worthy. It's been over a year that I am working a well recognised hotel in Dublin, even got a promotion but I don't think I will go further there or anywhere else if I don't invest on myself. Being a non-EU makes things harder as I can't apply for a working visa or anything. I hope a masters in the area will open doors. If it doesn't I'll leave the country anyway but I would have done something really good over here which might be useful elsewhere.

Being a non-EU makes things harder...
    I can certainly appreciate that - being a non-EU citizen in Ireland is not easy right now (I would encourage you to raise this issue with your local TD's). But, bear in mind that third-level institutions are going to be targeting non-EU citizens, as this allows them to charge extortionate fees.

Think long and hard about this – experience trumps qualifications almost every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

I can certainly appreciate that - being a non-EU citizen in Ireland is not easy right now (I would encourage you to raise this issue with your local TD's). But, bear in mind that third-level institutions are going to be targeting non-EU citizens, as this allows them to charge extortionate fees.

Think long and hard about this – experience trumps qualifications almost every time.

Many pg courses don't distinguish for fees on residency. Also, eu or not is not on citizenship but on whether you have been in EEA for 3 of last 5 years. Not your passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can also probably get tax relief on the fees

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

blucey wrote: »
    Many pg courses don't distinguish for fees on residency.
    Many do. It's unofficial policy in most third-level institutions in Ireland to target non-EU nationals to fill postgrad positions.
    Also, eu or not is not on citizenship but on whether you have been in EEA for 3 of last 5 years.
    No, it's based on whether you have been in post-primary education or working in the EU for 3 of the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Many pg courses don't distinguish for fees on residency.
    Many do. It's unofficial policy in most third-level institutions in Ireland to target non-EU nationals to fill postgrad positions.
    Also, eu or not is not on citizenship but on whether you have been in EEA for 3 of last 5 years.
    No, it's based on whether you have been in post-primary education or working in the EU for 3 of the last 5 years.
    So you agree: not all charge differential fees and it's about residency not citizenship. Glad we agree on that.

In fact they consider my time of residence in Europe over my nationality, is it? September 2013 I'd be living here for 3 years. Even though I have to apply before September. I'll look for the TD in my area and pop up at the DIT international students office and see what they say. Thanks for the help

...it's about residency not citizenship.
    No, it's not. You could be living in Ireland for five years and still be considered non-EU. It depends on what you've been doing during that time.
    In fact they consider my time of residence in Europe over my nationality, is it? September 2013 I'd be living here for 3 years.
    Have you been working for the entirety of those three years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hi djpbarry, I agree it is a large quite expensive and I really hope the investment is worthy. It's been over a year that I am working a well recognised hotel in Dublin, even got a promotion but I don't think I will go further there or anywhere else if I don't invest on myself. Being a non-EU makes things harder as I can't apply for a working visa or anything. I hope a masters in the area will open doors. If it doesn't I'll leave the country anyway but I would have done something really good over here which might be useful elsewhere.

Do you currently have a working visa?
    If you go full time option you will need to change to a student visa...

It's going to be two and a half year working in Ireland next September. I started working ere 5 months after my arrival.

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you currently have a working visa?
    If you go full time option you will need to change to a student visa...

I hold a student visa and all its restrictions, I hope after my masters I can apply for a working visa. The company I work for is interested but it's not guaranteed to get it. So I'm studying full time next year.

Advertisement