Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping

• 20-09-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query.

I live in an apartment complex, we have two recycling bins and three rubbish bins for the entire complex. Bins are emptied Mondays and are usually overflowing by then. I have had to store my rubbish in the apartment over the weekend some weeks.

Got home this evening, was unloading the car and a car pulled in near me. Two girls got out and started unloading large black bin bags from their car. They threw them into the bins. Thought nothing of it obviously. I was in the back of my apartment and someone passed the window, it was the two girls opening the bins on the other side of the complex to see if they were full so I got suspicious and just checked where they had gone after a few minutes. Saw them unloading about 8 more bags and dumping them into the first bin, its open and completely overflowing. Then they hopped into the car and drove off. I took the reg. of the car. Peeved I didn't say anything to them now, the thought of keeping a weeks worth of smelly rubbish til Monday is making me angry. :(

What can I do? Contact the management company and give them the registration plate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are the bins open to the public? Ours are in sheds behind each block and only people in those blocks have keys to the sheds. Each shed takes different keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

At least they're not dumping on the roads.

OP, there is little you can do except for reporting them to your management company, and asking them to pursue the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could also make a complaint to the council litter warden.

Victor wrote: »
    You could also make a complaint to the council litter warden.

If it was dumped on private land the council won't do anything.

We had bags of rubbish dumped onto our property, with a few bags on the road outside the gate. The council didn't give 2 fcuks about us.

I went thru it and found bills to a dentist in the North. I wrote to him, and he didn't care either.

In the OP's case, from a legal perspective, the Management Company has been damaged, in that they pay for the bins to be collected. They could theoretically take an action against the dumpers.
    Guards might get involved, but I can't really see that happening to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dumping on private property is an offence and the council may be interested.

• Advertisement

Why would the Council be interested in a criminal offence?

My experience was that they were not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ring the management and give them the reg of the car and the owner will be issued a fine.
    It's happened to me when I lived in an apartment complex-people were always dumping their rubbish, but the management issued a fine when I gave them the reg number of the dumper's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ring the management and give them the reg of the car and the owner will be issued a fine.
    It's happened to me when I lived in an apartment complex-people were always dumping their rubbish, but the management issued a fine when I gave them the reg number of the dumper's car.

Im not sure that the management company have any legal basis to be issuing fines to people outside the complex, or more so to the point I dont think there is anything to stop the person filing the fine neatly in their waste paper basket and ignoring it, but I guess by all means try contact them if you can get their details.

The bottom line is if a complex doesnt want somoene dumping in their waste facilities then they have to secure them. Ours are in an area secured by a locked gate that we all have the code for.

djimi wrote: »
    Im not sure that the management company have any legal basis to be issuing fines to people outside the complex, or more so to the point I dont think there is anything to stop the person filing the fine neatly in their waste paper basket and ignoring it, but I guess by all means try contact them if you can get their details.

The bottom line is if a complex doesnt want somoene dumping in their waste facilities then they have to secure them. Ours are in an area secured by a locked gate that we all have the code for.

Meant to say that the management sought advice from the Gardai who then issued the fine for dumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If it's not too yucky a job, perhaps you might be able to find an address in there. Then I'd drive the rubbish back to them!!

• Advertisement

If it's not too yucky a job, perhaps you might be able to find an address in there. Then I'd drive the rubbish back to them!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Ha! Ummm...as much as I'd love to find out who they are, I'm going to pass on that! :p

Well I rang my landlady and gave her the details so hopefully the management will do something about it.

The gates to the complex has a code so either they would have to have known the number (they change it annually) or they would have followed a car in while it was still open which is unlikely given that they close quickly.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

We had the same issue in a complex. In our case a combination of "dropping the rubbish back" to their front garden after following them home in one case, challenging others and most importently locks has resolved it completly, well as much as you can. Prior to the locks we once had two 1100 litre bins filled by one van with three lads in honestly less than a minute. It was a pure lesson in efficiency. Once major issue is the locks are the same as a meter box key so it won't deter the most determined unless you have another level of security.

In another development I am aware of it was also an issue with tenents giving their mates the key and gate code. In this case a letter to the unit owner / tenents was enough to sort the issue but proof was from a temp CCTV camera setup to monitor the bins was also taken.

It's a hard one, past tenents can be cheeky, as can owners though and we make it quite clear the bins are for "residents" as some landlords who lived locally were using the bins to dispose of all of their household waste as they "paid" for it in their fees. Again a letter and an "invoice" for waste services provided by the Management Company to them sorted it.

Good Luck :-)

Advertisement