Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Police Force

• 20-09-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts lads and ladies of heading to the U.K and waiting 3 years (residencey rule) and joining one of MANY Uk police forces ?

Seriously considering it myself.

Canyon86, 22, :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Boyeen30

Im a Uk Bobby originally from the Rep . Sometimes / normally the residency requirement does not apply to us .

It's more for people who live elsewhere in the World for a period of time. As they can't check what you've been doing . Ie training in a terrorist camp in Pakistain..

I'd say do it ... Although its getting harder now to join than a few years ago ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Boyeen30 wrote: »
    Im a Uk Bobby originally from the Rep . Sometimes / normally the residency requirement does not apply to us .

It's more for people who live elsewhere in the World for a period of time. As they can't check what you've been doing . Ie training in a terrorist camp in Pakistain..

I'd say do it ... Although its getting harder now to join than a few years ago ...

Ive applied for the strathclyde police. I have an entrance exam coming up dont know the date yet as ive deferred it the first time. Where you ever a member of AGS before going to the UK?

Id get that Exam done ASAP if I were you.
    No I was never interested in the AGS to be honest, I Know a few guys in it and chat to a few on general enquiries. I came over here when I was 19 straight after Leaving Cert applied for the Met Police ..Well the rest is history .. I know how the Uk laws / systems / work so I'm settled more here .

I'm looking to transfer to the PSNI if I can tho.. Call it, getting a bit homesick after all these years in London ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Boyeen30 wrote: »
    Id get that Exam done ASAP if I were you.
    No I was never interested in the AGS to be honest, I Know a few guys in it and chat to a few on general enquiries. I came over here when I was 19 straight after Leaving Cert applied for the Met Police ..Well the rest is history .. I know how the Uk laws / systems / work so I'm settled more here .

I'm looking to transfer to the PSNI if I can tho.. Call it, getting a bit homesick after all these years in London ...

Ya they gave me 4 days notice though and on student pay I couldnt afford the flights which was gutting! Next time il be able though as ive got the money needed together. Im a member of AGS as a reserve but my hopes for them recruiting are becoming nothing more than a dream. Therefore im looking elsewhere atm even though for me AGS was the dream job at this point if I was offered a place in the UK id take it without looking back.

Four days, now that's a bit tight alright . Ah the reserves I've heard of that, I think our version is the Special Constabulary. I knew a lad who waited years to join AGS but for them to say "Na were not recruiting" . He's now 30 and depressed as his dad was a Guard .

If you pass and get in and Sc offer then snatch it up don't wait trust me.. Englands not that far away and the recession not really affected us as much. Do your probation and transfers to the PSNI then . See it like the AGS might put you anywhere so Belfast or Derry ain't so different.

Usefull website
    http://www.policeoracle.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

Hi Boyeen30, great info. Do you find your job dangerous? I would assume work as a PC in UK would be more dangerous than working in Ireland, what do you think? What about pay differences? Wages are quite good in Ireland, do police officers earn good wages in UK generally?

Thanks for any information!

nobodiez wrote: »
    Hi Boyeen30, great info. Do you find your job dangerous? I would assume work as a PC in UK would be more dangerous than working in Ireland, what do you think? What about pay differences? Wages are quite good in Ireland, do police officers earn good wages in UK generally?

Hello
    Hmm dangerous ... Yes its the never knowing, getting rammed last week by a 17 year old who Twoc'ked his dads car.
    Searching a car 'four up' in the rural areas of my beat with young in service officers 'who are a bit gobby'. ( looking for aggravated burglars who come out from London with stolen shotguns)
    Searching druggies, travellers who would rather get away at any cost than get remanded in custody ... I could go on and on I really really could ...

Crime wise - I think the Uk and certain parts, if not most parts of the ROI are on par really, I keep up to date with current affairs and surprised at some stuff that goes on back home,....but it's a bit more populated over here,... 62 million in uk !! My county has about 1 million people in it, the size of Kilkenny !
    62+ million people being policed by 150,000 coppers ' on various shift patterns' it's a never ending war were swamped with work and if I'm honest not giving the service some people deserve ...

Pay ... Well I think it's ok, not great for what we do but, no cop I know is in it for the money... if they are then ... I'll say no more ...

http://www.polfed.org/constables/pay_scale.asp

Now it's Gardai section of the forum so I don't want to post too much stuff as most of my colleagues in Ireland will not interested . ..
    There are hundreds and hundreds of Irish 'born' coppers on the UK mainland doing the same job .. and I'm just one...

Take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Wages are quite good in Ireland, do police officers earn good wages in UK generally?

Wages where quite good, with all the allowances been cut for new entrants i doubt they will be anywhere as good as before, in fact i bet if you done your home work the uk police wages would prob surpass the irish now, at least the allowances are not been cut there as far as i know for new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

bluetop wrote: »

Wages where quite good, with all the allowances been cut for new entrants i doubt they will be anywhere as good as before, in fact i bet if you done your home work the uk police wages would prob surpass the irish now, at least the allowances are not been cut there as far as i know for new entrants.
    Yes I'm aware of that, it is a shame, do you know what kind of allowances do you get as a UK police officer? Or even NI? I assume rent allowance is included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Yes I'm aware of that, it is a shame, do you know what kind of allowances do you get as a UK police officer? Or even NI? I assume rent allowance is included.

I think Boyeen30 would be best placed to answer that question for you, or you could always look on the police service website they might have that information on their web page ** actually if you look back a few posts Boyeen30 has a link to the wages **

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Any thoughts lads and ladies of heading to the U.K and waiting 3 years (residencey rule) and joining one of MANY Uk police forces ?

Seriously considering it myself.

Canyon86, 22, :cool:

At present there is not much movement within the Police Service as far as recruitment goes.

My advice would be to keep an eye on the websites of Forces that interest you or websites dedicated to police jobs (Google UK Police Jobs) as vacancies are being advertised from time to time (BTP opened London recruitment for new Constables just recently) however keep in mind there are a lot of applicants going for a small number of jobs. Not so long ago a Yorkshire Force advertised for 60 vacancies and had 260000 phonecalls in response.

Moving here with a view to joining is an option if you seriously want to join the job. You could probably pick up work easily enough, more so than in Ireland, or even enrol on a course while you wait.

Starting pay for Probationer Constables in London is circa 30k with pension, free travel on bus, tube and mainline trains. There is no rent allowance for new entrants to the Police Service now, that was replaced with a regional allowance that is factored into salary. Met, City and London BTP all attract higher pay on account of London weighting, but obviously living in London is more expensive than the rest of the UK.

Career prospects at the moment are uncertain. Big changes to pensions are planned and a reduced starting wage of 19k is being considered (but with a quicker rise to top rate Constable of 36k before allowances) and promotion opportunities are greatly reduced due to budget cuts to all Forces. In London there are around 2000 Constables qualified to Sergeant awaiting vacancies. Do your homework before making any big decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I was thinking of trying to apply to one of the UK forces myself, does anyone know were i could find out what the entry exams are like ,? mock exams etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Do you not have to live there for 3 years before you can join . Just heard this before

Thats for some but not all 52 , i emailed all and 14 got back saying the 3 year rule not dose not apply , still waiting on a good few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Thats for some but not all 52 , i emailed all and 14 got back saying the 3 year rule not dose not apply , still waiting on a good few more.

Hi Runner,

Would you mind emailing/PM the 14 saying that it doesnt apply,

I d really appreciate it,

also I have alex fergusons book on pdf aswell if any of you s want it lol :)

save a few quid :)

Ya no problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Could you PM me the list also? Thanks!!

Yup no problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Fair play to you Runner 1, any chance you'd pm that list to myself too? I applied for Police Scotland this year and got a response saying I wasn't eligible because of their 3 year rule which was a bit brutal, considering I had applied to Strathclyde in 2012 but had to pull out mid-process for unforseen circumstances, but they had no problems with the Irish citizenship and lack of residency in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

djor88 wrote: »
    Fair play to you Runner 1, any chance you'd pm that list to myself too? I applied for Police Scotland this year and got a response saying I wasn't eligible because of their 3 year rule which was a bit brutal, considering I had applied to Strathclyde in 2012 but had to pull out mid-process for unforseen circumstances, but they had no problems with the Irish citizenship and lack of residency in UK.

Oh no I was just looking at their website, it says the residency requirement can be waived in certain circumstances - I was getting my hopes up there. Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Zadie10 wrote: »
    Oh no I was just looking at their website, it says the residency requirement can be waived in certain circumstances - I was getting my hopes up there. Oh well!

Yeah, I had applied and they sent me back a letter to say i didn't meet the requirements for residency. I emailed them and asked could it not be waived for irish citizens etc and they said not in this campaign, guess the fact it's their 1st campaign as Police Scotland they can be very very picky... A bit crap tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Runner 1, would you be able to PM me the list also? It would be much appreciated!
    Fair play for putting in the leg work and contacting that many forces btw!

I was born in the UK and lived there as a child so I'm going to contact Police Scotland and shall post there response here if that's any use to anyone that might be in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Runner 1 , would you mind sending me the list aswell please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Connie213

RUNNER 1 Could you also PM that list to me when you get a chance?

I sent it onto you all there . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

could you PM me on the list aswell if you get a chance cheers :)

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Runner1, would you mind sending me a copy of the list also? Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

If you could also send it to me too, would appreciate it, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 irishlad1

howya runner, would ya pm that list to me also cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Itsnotallbad

Hi all,

I am a previous poster but closed my account a long time ago (GRHopefull).

I've just now come to terms with receiving an e-mail a little over a week ago telling me I'm too old to apply for AGS. (was hoping maybe some sort of excpetion would apply but it doesn't as I've no exceptional skills that AGS can use)

As I have been a reserve for years (I really enjoy working in my station) and would love to have worked full time in AGS but it's not to be.

As I'm too old by 5months I'm now looking at possibly joining UK police force but I've made enquiries with Police Scotland and GMP (Greater Manchester Police) who say before applying a candidate must reside in UK for previous 3years.

If anyone knows of a police force in the UK that doesn't require the above criteria, could you please PM me,

Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Hi all,

I am a previous poster but closed my account a long time ago (GRHopefull).

I've just now come to terms with receiving an e-mail a little over a week ago telling me I'm too old to apply for AGS. (was hoping maybe some sort of excpetion would apply but it doesn't as I've no exceptional skills that AGS can use)

As I have been a reserve for years (I really enjoy working in my station) and would love to have worked full time in AGS but it's not to be.

As I'm too old by 5months I'm now looking at possibly joining UK police force but I've made enquiries with Police Scotland and GMP (Greater Manchester Police) who say before applying a candidate must reside in UK for previous 3years.

If anyone knows of a police force in the UK that doesn't require the above criteria, could you please PM me,

Really appreciate it.

I know a lad in the exact same situation as you!

I really do think the age limit should be put up 5 years to 40 .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't think there should be an age limit at all. It's out and out discrimination, and there is no valid excuse for it. In my intake, there was a guy who was in his 50s and even though he obviously was never going to put in 30 years, he was able to do a job with a ton of life experience behind him, in a job where the best self defence weapon can often be your tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

I feel your pain...I'm over 5 years as a Reserve in a damn busy District, putting in hundreds of hours per year, and getting stuck in, and I misssed out on the campaign by being four weeks too old. I received the same 'Dear John' email, and it has been a serious kick in the stomach.

The upper age limit is ageist and discriminatory, and has been scrapped by lots of Police Forces now. The pension argument that is bandied about, does not cut the mustard any more in my opinion...they've figured that issue out in other places (eg PSNI, Swedish Police, UK Police Forces etc etc) so there's no reason that we couldn't follow suit. In reality, perhaps not many older applicants would make it through the physical aspects of the selection process, but there are plenty who could and would hold their own as good as anybody else, and should be at least be entitled to apply...if you're good enough, you're old enough!

• Advertisement

Sorry to here that Hill st blue , 4 weeks ya would think they let you by and your a GR and all , i dont get the gardai here atal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Sorry to here that Hill st blue , 4 weeks ya would think they let you by and your a GR and all , i dont get the gardai here atal

It's very simple. They let one through and they have to leave everyone through.
    There's no reason why issues such as pensions etc. are good excuses not to employ older people. Just give a percentage pension in relation to service.
    Also fitness concerns can be addressed by passing a medical and having repeat medicals every few years.
    A few of the younger Gardaí could do with standing on a weighing scales in any case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Runner 1,

Could you please PM the list please.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chloe_

Runner 1,
    could you please PM me the list too please.
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Hey Runner1,

FairPlay to you, very assertive of you getting on to UK forces about the residency rule. I would also be very greatful if you could pm that list.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

Received my results today stating I'm in band 2. After making the previous panel and 4 years service in the reserves, I've basically been rejected by the An Garda Siochana. Would really appreciate if someone could PM that list. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Received my results today stating I'm in band 2. After making the previous panel and 4 years service in the reserves, I've basically been rejected by the An Garda Siochana. Would really appreciate if someone could PM that list. Thanks.

Very sorry to hear that. Where were you placed? You might have a shot yet. Maybe next year.

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that. Where were you placed? You might have a shot yet. Maybe next year.

7720... No hope for me.

Im in band one , but i duno will i to stage 3

Im in band one , but i duno will i to stage 3

Keep the faith Runner1, you've only got to compete against 5000 now compared to 25000 to begin with. I'd appreciate if you could PM the list of 14 when you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

7720... No hope for me.

Alas I'm in the same boat. You still never know. There are people dropping like flies though. Anyway goodluck with England. I'm going to go back to university when I can afford to.

Advertisement