Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground elder

Options
  • 20-09-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭

I am renovating a maisonette in Dublin, and having had the garden cleared, patio laid etc, the 'empty' flower beds are filling up with ground elder. I know it's a right nuisance, but has anyone any ideas of how to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If you are organic then dig out as much of the roots as possible and then leave a plastic sheet on the beds for a year or two.

If not then Roundup, a systemic weedkiller (kills the roots too) is your man. It is getting late in the season but I would make an strong application now and see where thing are in a few weeks, repeating an application then. Its a devil to get rid of as it can grow back from tiny bits of root. I would hesitate to plant anything until next year, waiting to see if any of it comes back up, and apply roundup again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

I have it too, Roundup/Rambo works, you have to be persistent. In one badly infested bed, I sponged on neat Roundup (be sure to wear robust rubber gloves). It'll take time. If you're digging in the area, you'll come across white rhizomes, thats how this spreads, even from a small piece. Happy gardening.

Advertisement