Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow BB at night

• 20-09-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having really bad contention issues lately with Eircom BB.

I have a 5mb line (still crap, I know), during the day I average about 3mb, but come the evening time the speeds just drop to nothing. Ran a test before this post and I'm getting a download speed of about 400-500kbs. It's the same every night.

I've unplugged all sky boxes, phones, etc so the router is the only thing on the line. I've also tried changing the router but no joy.

Is there anything at all I can do to improve the speed in the evenings or is it something I just have to live with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm having really bad contention issues lately with Eircom BB.

I have a 5mb line (still crap, I know), during the day I average about 3mb, but come the evening time the speeds just drop to nothing. Ran a test before this post and I'm getting a download speed of about 400-500kbs. It's the same every night.

I've unplugged all sky boxes, phones, etc so the router is the only thing on the line. I've also tried changing the router but no joy.

Is there anything at all I can do to improve the speed in the evenings or is it something I just have to live with?

Hi

It is something you'll have to live with unless their next generation BB is available from your local exchange. If it is contact them and ask them to upgrade you, as congestion is a major issue with the standard Eircom BB (amongst others) especially at night.

If it is not available to you it might be a good idea to leave them and go to someone else. Of course if UPC or a fixed wireless operator is available where you live then problem solved. As for your Sky box the phone line can be disconnected after 12 months if your contract with them is past the initial period..

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

cunnijo wrote: »
    As for your Sky box the phone line can be disconnected after 12 months if your contract with them is past the initial period..

The sky box can be disconnected as soon as the installer leaves the house they just need it for set up purposes and then if you wish you can order movies etc via your phone line.

I didn't even bother running one in for the installer just set up a fly lead and let him do his thing then out it came :D

OP I'd say your problem is congestion everyone getting in from work and going online. You could try changing the channel on your router. Do you know if a lot of your neighbours have Eircom BB have you tried a speed test while connected directly to the router via ethernet cable?

you could complain to Eircom but they only gaurantee speed to your router so you may be suffering interference via wireless also if you have a baby monitor on at night that interfers with the signal.

Upc offer by far the fastest BB service or you could try Vodafone I hear they're offering good packages at the min albeit with long contracts trying to tie up customers before SKY enter the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you are in the country and have one of the 3 rural broadband masts nearby, the speeds they are capable of are pretty good.

From memory its its something like an achievable 5 meg download and over 1meg upload.
    And the uptake of the service can be very low meaning that often times you aren't sharing the service with anyone else.

I dont know what the data rate is between the mast and the main base, but its done by antenna anyhow so is independent of anything that eircom has i the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJCM71

Hi Jemiah

Have you tried contacting Eircom, I had phone & bb issues last year where my phone didn't work & the BB speed was down from 3.5Mb to 2Mb, turned out it was due to a fault on the line, an Eircom engineer had to come & fix it and it's been fine since.

Failing that you could try changing provider; I have Magnet BB & while I only get 3.5 mb download, at least I always get 3.5 Mb, I'm outside Dublin & too far from the exchange to get faster speeds but it's does me grand. Uncontended BB is the only way go. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You ( and your neighbours) need to complain a lot to eircom. They do eventually upgrade contended exchanges with crap backhaul but they need to be pushed to run the fibre to do so.

Complain early and complain often!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

Your wireless router may need a firmware upgrade give eircom tech support a call, i had the exact same issue and they sorted it out very quickly

Advertisement