Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix terms "you can't ever sue us"

• 20-09-2012 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

What kind of crap is this where corporations can add whatever the hell kind of garbage into their terms and we're forced to agree or have nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

What kind of crap is this where corporations can add whatever the hell kind of garbage into their terms and we're forced to agree or have nothing?
    Where's the source for this? You don't like it, then don't agree to their terms. It's a service provider, for what possible reason would you want to sue them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why do you want to sue them, OP? Have Anne Hathaway's nipples been censored? If so, you're missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

You don't have to use their service, you know.

Besides, if you believe that a content streaming company has the potential to do you so much damage that it would justify a lawsuit then you're best off not using them really.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It probably stems from money grabbing assholes trying to sue companies left right and centre for no good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I never read the small print on anything. I could be endorsing or agreeing to any statement and I wouldn't even know.

I am a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Someone should sue them for crimes against showing the same crap over and over. My local chippers menu is longer than their playlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

You give them a whole bunch of your details. If they decide to retroactively change the contract and do something with them that you didn't agree to on signing up, then you'll obviously be pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why would you want to sue them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Don't you read the Terms and Conditions before agreeing to them?! Who doesn't read the TnC and simply clicks accept?! Unless you like to become a Human Cent-iPad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They are just covering their árses OP.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »

I am a twat.

I Accept

I Accept
    Jaasus, where do I tick???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

They have such a **** selection of films and tv shows.

Pottler wrote: »
    Someone should sue them for crimes against showing the same crap over and over. My local chippers menu is longer than their playlist.
    Don't talk nonsense. The Netflix content is huge.

Jaasus, where do I tick???

On the screen, if you make a mistake just tipp-ex over it.

And don't call me jaasus.

Don't talk nonsense. The Netflix content is huge.
    You're not a netfcukcall customer, are you? I am. Thanks for pointing out what I hadn't noticed. Huge??? Like the Liffey is really wide? Hmmmmm.

On the screen, if you make a mistake just tipp-ex over it.

And don't call me jaasus.
    Sorry, I tipp-exed over my Whoopsadasiedoodles button by mistake and pressed the jasus button in error. I'll get some thinners and clean stuff up. Won't happen again, Ms Daisy, Maam.mmmmm:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

You my friend have not seen American Netflix. You can thank me later.

<mod snip>

Please don't post workarounds here.

/mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You're not a netfcukcall customer, are you? I am. Thanks for pointing out what I hadn't noticed. Huge??? Like the Liffey is really wide? Hmmmmm.

Get US netflix its bigger than the liffey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I Accept
    Tempted to post the NSFW version but being addressed in bold once is enough :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Don't you read the Terms and Conditions before agreeing to them?! Who doesn't read the TnC and simply clicks accept?! Unless you like to become a Human Cent-iPad...
    Reminds me of this.

EULAs are too long, if I've signed my kidneys away I'll just burn the house down and abscond.

Yes, I am. I use the US version, and it's wonderful. Stop trying to use poor similes and excessive punctuation to emphasise your point. It's not clever, and outs you as barely literate.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Get US netflix its bigger than the liffey....
    Would ye ever feck off with your visions of wonder:DI have Kildare Netflix, and it's small, small I tell you - it's like the DVD hire section in a Spar. I know not of this Us you speak of.

Yes, I am. I use the US version, and it's wonderful. Stop trying to use poor similes and excessive punctuation to emphasise your point. It's not clever, and outs you as barely literate.
    I didnet yuse any smilies - yure tu clever fur me. I am so literute. Cheeky manker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the more you watch the more it will suggest, the US one is fantastic, tons of stuff on there.

I didnet yuse any smilies - yure tu clever fur me. I am so literute. Cheeky manker.

Christ, is that your best attempt of a retort? I was merely making the point that using poor similes (not smilies, you've kind of proved my point there), excessive punctuation and awful puns isn't clever, and lessens the validity of your posts in the eyes of anyone with a functional brain.

krudler wrote: »
    the more you watch the more it will suggest, the US one is fantastic, tons of stuff on there.
    Ok, I'll bite. How does one change from the bog version to the spangled banner version? Pray tell:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fairly sure you can't sign your legal rights away on one of those tickbox things - if you are entitled by the law to 'sue' (not sure why you'd want to, maybe if the service isn't as promised) then ticking a box doesn't change those rights.
    Similarly to use the kidney example above - if kidneys can't be transferred between individuals legally, then ticking a box to say you are giving up a kidney is meaningless.
    I think.

Ok, I'll bite. How does one change from the bog version to the spangled banner version? Pray tell:D

Why don't you try google? I won't tell you how to find a US UNBLOCK for netflix on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I don't think this would stand up in court.

Mod

pedanticpat, if you want to continue posting in this thread you need to calm down and be civil.

Pottler, read my post again. Google the part in CAPITAL LETTERS :D

It's completely legal and safe, and works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can start a company in the morning and make up any terms and conditions. This does not automatically make them legally binding even if you agree with them.

There are certain things called lawful practice which need to be considered.

Mod

pedanticpat, if you want to continue posting in this thread you need to calm down and be civil.

Don't I get a reply/apology for my question?

Don't I get a reply/apology for my question?
    Yes, two teenagers in the next room to me love you. :D Btw US netflix is rather good.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Don't you read the Terms and Conditions before agreeing to them?! Who doesn't read the TnC and simply clicks accept?!

Let's face it, loads of people never read T&C. I'd go as far as to say the people who don't probably form a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

pragmatic1 wrote: »

Well, I signed up for the free trial to watch Breaking Bad, so I'm happy with it!

Yes, two teenagers in the next room to me love you. :D Btw US netflix is rather good.:D
    I'm glad to hear it. Apologies if I seemed like a dick earlier. I don't come here often, and didn't realise that censorship was akin to a certain type of regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Watch an episode of judge judy and you'll see why they did this.

Im all for the ryanair approach in certain areas of life.

*this is not to say that the television program known as judge judy is by any means of lower quality than any scheduled programming within/outside the republic of Ireland and any associated territories or is to be accepted as a substitute for registered legal training, if in doubt ask you physician, terms and conditions apply, apr is at 1.2% over a fixed term before dirt, keep out of the reach of children and yer aul-one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

As far as I know things like EULA and terms of use and all that is just for the service.
    For example, if I buy an Xbox and starting using copies of games on it (after tinkering with it) then microsoft can cancel my account because that's the terms I signed up to.

The "don't sue us" would be more akin to a "if you sue us then you can't use our services anymore" which is fine, really.

Or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Apparently there are a lot of numpties who don't understand that you cannot sign away your statutory rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yep what ^ said.

You can't sign away your statutory rights.

If the Netflix T&C's said that they have the right to name all your kids Nettie and Flixie, do you honestly think they would have that legal right just because its in their T&C's?

What people dont also realise that if a company try to enforce a clause in their contracts that a judge deems nonsense, a judge could render a contract null and void.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pragmatic1 wrote: »

The UK one does ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

If a site or companies T&C's/EULA contradicts EU law or your statutory rights then a court will *most likely* rule in your favour. The caveat is that this has never been tried!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Didn't Sony put in a "can't sue" line after the PSN hacking debacle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I like the way the netflix options have "Jewish" in as a sexual orientation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You just don't know how to access the US content...

Also, the stuff shown in the menus is not all they have, you have to search for a lot of their stuff.

You just don't know how to access the US content...

Also, the stuff shown in the menus is not all they have, you have to search for a lot of their stuff.
    What is it, a challenge to see if you are worthy of seeing the good stuff? I went into Tesco yesterday and they hadn't hidden any of the items they sell-but it could catch on. Seems to work well for Ikea anyway-the whole shops a feckin challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

sure why would I wana sue them, I'm getting all their American Netflix, heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

They're a shower of DRM-peddling bastards anyway, to hell with em and their Microsoft Silverlight

• Advertisement
Advertisement