Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloughie Quotes

• 20-09-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

Brian Clough died today 2004 I don't think you can rank best managers ach given different eras, resources, finances etc but I'd go along with this

I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

Other pearls of wisdom

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/gaffers/gaffers_cloughie_quotes.htm

Loads of stuff on Youtube this interview is jaw dropping. They don't make em like that any more.
    Trevor Francis comments wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

8 years already:eek:

Heard so much about him when in Nottingham.

That man is and always will be Nottingham Forest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

On Britains first 1,000,000 footballer Trevor Francis when asked what position he would play him in; " He'll play where I tell him to play, and when!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

“Football hooligans? - well, there are 92 club chairmen for a start.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right."

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhoea!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ohhh I like this one

"He should guide Posh in the direction of a singing coach because she's nowhere near as good at her job as her husband." Advice for David Beckham. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love that interview he does alongside Revie the night he was sacked as Leeds manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I love that interview he does alongside Revie the night he was sacked as Leeds manager.

Yeah what makes it so incredible is the success he had after here's one of the comments on that interview

2 small clubs,2 titles first season,2 european cups.What a reply to his haters.The alchemist who made gold from base metals,a supernatural intuition in his prime.Leeds board,players & fans must've cried themselves to sleep for years to come.We in Nottm still can't believe our luck.BC, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Upon being told by the physio that Stuart Pearce is concussed and hardly even knows who he is and where he is.

"Well tell him he's Pele and we'll stick him up front!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

monkey9 wrote: »
    Upon being told by the physio that Stuart Pearce is concussed and hardly even knows who he is and where he is.

"Well tell him he's Pele and we'll stick him up front!!"

That's brilliant!

I read all these quotes in his voice and accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That's brilliant!

I read all these quotes in his voice and accent

Everyone does :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Everyone does :D

Now then young man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

monkey9 wrote: »
    Now then young man!!
    Shut up while I'm talkin! :D

My single biggest regret in life is not meeting him. I was supposed to go to a book signing of his in Nottingham a couple of days before a weekend game back in 2002. But I couldn't get the day off and didn't go until the Friday. Still bugs me.

Clough was every reporters favourite league manager as he always had something insightful/humourous/outrageous to say.

"I will always remain convinced that those Liverpool fans who died were killed by Liverpool people. All those lives were lost needlessly." Brian Clough.

Great manager, not so great person.

Fcuk off Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

May not be a quote but it still gets me every time:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

rarnes1 wrote: »
    "I will always remain convinced that those Liverpool fans who died were killed by Liverpool people. All those lives were lost needlessly." Brian Clough.

Great manager, not so great person.

Fcuk off Brian.
    Be quiet.

It takes a bigger man to apologise than it does to offend:

(from liverpoolway.co.uk)
    Clough admits to slur mistake

Forest's legendary former boss Brian Clough has apologised for remarks about the Hillsborough tragedy made in his 1994 autobiography.

Clough had, at the time, intimated that the loss of life was directly down to the Liverpool supporters themselves.

He has realised now, though, the offence such accusations caused to both the families of the victims and the club and it's supporters and he commented: "I had said that many Liverpool fans were drunk and they killed their own.

"That was my honest opinion at the time, but I now accept the investigations have made me realise I was misinformed.

"I wasn't trying to be vindictive or unsympathetic, but my opinion has altered over the years. It was never my intention to hurt anyone."

"I'm sure the grieving families don't need me to fan the flames again, but I would like to express my regret at the hurt I may have caused," he added.

Trevor Hicks of the Hillsborough Family Support Group said that Clough's apology was "better late than never," and added: "Along with others, he swallowed the party line and believed all the lies and mistruths. Let's hope South Yorkshire Police and others will finally also have the guts to admit they were wrong."

transcribed from 4-4-2:

Now I want to make peace with some of those Liverpool fans who have been upset for years by some of my remarks in the aftermath of the Hillsbrough disaster in 1989. None of us who were there on that awful day will ever forget it. As a father of three and a proud grandfather as well, I hope nobody would doubt my grief and sadness on behalf of them poor families who lost love ones. When I retired a few years later, my autobiography dwelt for a few pages on that dreaful day. What I said in the book angered many Liverpool people. I put the blame on the Liverpool fans because I believed that if all of them had turned up on the day with tickets, and behaved in an orderly manner, then there would have been no disaster.

Those remarks were seized on by the press and my name was mud on Merseyside after that, my criticism of the police on the same page was overlooked. I said I wasn't accusing the Liverpool supporters of being thugs or hooligans, and that the police made serious errors of judgement. But that never made the front pages.

When my book was published, I did the publicity rounds as part of my contract. When I appeared on BBC's Clive Anderson show, I allowed myself to go too far when discussing Hillsborough. I said that many Liverpool fans were drunk on the day, and they killed their own. That was my honest opinion at the time -seven years ago- but I now accept that detailed investigations have made me realise I was misinformed. I wasn't trying to be vindictive or unsympathetic, but my opinion has altered over the years. The report into the disaster by Lord Justice Taylor critisised the police, clearing the Liverpool fans who arrived late of responsibility for the tragic event. A book published a couple of years ago (Hillsborough - The Truth by Phil Scraton) arrived at the same conclusion and, I understand, established beyond reasonable doubt that many of us had been ill informed when we made our judgement at the time on various statements.

Now I have said some daft things in my time, but I hope most of them have been taken in the right spirit or at least a few have had a laugh at my expense. I now accept that I went too far in giving my opinions about Hillsborough. It was never my intention to hurt anone, But I just gave an honest answer to Clive Anderson. I do accept that everyone on Merseyside hated me after that.

It was difficult for my son Nigel at the time because he was playing for Liverpool when the comments were made. At no stage did any Liverpudlian give him any grief for what I said about Hillsborough. Nigel appreciated that, and I'd like to show my gratitude as well. That showed the warmth and fairness of the folk on Merseyside. I take this opportunity to say my regret about the hurt I must have caused.

Yeah, 12 years later ffs.

The damage was done then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

That's an incredible apology from Clough. The likes of McKenzie could make a start by doing something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Trevor Francis: How do you want me to play boss?

Clough: When you get the ball, just give it to John Robertson, he is twice the player you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah, 12 years later ffs.

The damage was done then.

While his original opinion was ridiculous and extremely insulting he made a genuine apology. There is no pleasing some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

"Will I wear the stripped shirt or the plain one"

Advertisement