Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical question- power consumed calculation.

Options
  • 20-09-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Maybe one of you lads can help me with this.

Three 12.5 ohm heating elements are connected in an industrial oven in a delta configuration to a 115/200V 3 phase supply.

Determine:

a. the current carried by the supply cables?
    b. total power consumed?

My brain's not functioning at the moment. :o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

el diablo wrote: »
    Maybe one of you lads can help me with this.

Three 12.5 ohm heating elements are connected in an industrial oven in a delta configuration to a 115/200V 3 phase supply.

Determine:

b. total power consumed?

My brain's not functioning at the moment. :o

Let the phase current (current passing through 1 element) = Iph
    Let the phase voltage = Vph
    Let the phase impedance = Zph
    Let the line current = In (this is the current carried by the supply cables)
    Let the line voltage = Vn

⇒ Iph = Vph/Zph

In this case the impedance = the resistance
    As the load is connected in delta configuration the phase voltage = the line voltage.

⇒ Iph = 200/12.5 = 16A

In = √3 x Iph
    In = √3 x 16 = 27.71A

Therefore the current carried by the supply cables is 27.71A

As this is a resistive load Cosɵ = 1

Power for a 3 phase load = √3 x Vn x In x Cosɵ

⇒ Total power consumed = √3 x 200 x 27.71 x 1 = 9600 Watts = 9.6kW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

2011 wrote: »

⇒ Iph = Vph/Zph

As the load is connected in delta configuration the phase voltage = the line voltage.

⇒ Iph = 200/12.5 = 16A

In = √3 x Iph
    In = √3 x 16 = 27.71A

That's great. thanks for that. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No problem.
    Does it make sense to you ?

No problem.
    Does it make sense to you ?

Yep, it does, cheers.

It's coming back to me now.:)

In star:
    I line = I phase
    V line = √3 x V phase.

and the opposite in delta.
    And a p.f of unity (1) due it being a purely resistive load.

So if it was connected in star (with 380V/220V 3 ph. supply) and three 44 ohm elements:

Iph= Vph/Rph= 220/44= 5A.

Total power consumed:

P= √3 x 380 x 5 x 1= 3.3 KW.

Am I correct? :o

Yep, it does, cheers.

It's coming back to me now.:)

In star:
    I line = I phase
    V line = √3 x V phase.

and the opposite in delta.
    And a p.f of unity (1) due it being a purely resistive load.

So if it was connected in star (with 380V/220V 3 ph. supply) it would be:

Iph= Vph/Rph= 220/44= 5A.

Total power consumed:

P= √3 x 380 x 5 x 1= 3.3 KW.

Am I correct? :o
    If the resistance is 44 ohms, then yes the above is correct.

• Advertisement

If the resistance is 44 ohms, then yes the above is correct.

Yes, forgot to mention the 44 ohm elements.

Thanks. :)

Yes, forgot to mention the 44 ohm elements.

Thanks. :)

No problem. It gets a little more complex when the loads are unbalanced.
    There are a few very helpful websites for this sort of thing. I will try to dig them out.

Out of interest, is this for college or work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

⇒ Iph = Vph/Zph

⇒ Iph = 200/12.5 = 16A

In = √3 x Iph
    In = √3 x 16 = 27.71A

Or since the phase current has been calculated early on through knowing the load impedence/resistance, it is simply 200v x 16a x 3phases. Finding the line current by √3 x 16 and then multiplying by √3 again in the final line, is doing a double calculation. Although it is useful for getting an understanding alright.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Finding the line current by √3 x 16 and then multiplying by √3 again in the final line, is doing a double calculation.

The reason that I calculated the line current was because it was asked for in part a of the question:
    Determine:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The reason that I calculated the line current was because it was asked for in part a of the question:

True, I should of read it properly:o

• Advertisement

No problem. It gets a little more complex when the loads are unbalanced.
    There are a few very helpful websites for this sort of thing. I will try to dig them out.

Out of interest, is this for college or work ?

It's for trade recognition exams for another country. It's been ten years since I've studied this stuff in college.

I might have one or two more questions for you over the next week or so. :P

I've one more question. Maybe somebody can help.

duelstopstart_zps8cb6a7d4.gif

In a similar circuit with just one stop and one start the contact numbers would be 1 & 2 for the stop and 3 & 4 for the start and 95 & 96 for the thermal overload.

Anyone know what the contact numbers should be on the stops and starts on a duel stop start circuit?

I've one more question. Maybe somebody can help.

duelstopstart_zps8cb6a7d4.gif

In a similar circuit with just one stop and one start the contact numbers would be 1 & 2 for the stop and 3 & 4 for the start and 95 & 96 for the thermal overload.

Anyone know what the contact numbers should be on the stops and starts on a duel stop start circuit?

It would be still 1 & 2 for both stops (connected in series) and 3 & 4 for both starts (connected in parallel). Each button would be labeled X1, X2, X3 and X4 or whatever you want. The O/L is still 95 & 96 but only one would be used.

shaaane wrote: »
    It would be still 1 & 2 for both stops (connected in series) and 3 & 4 for both starts (connected in parallel). Each button would be labeled X1, X2, X3 and X4 or whatever you want. The O/L is still 95 & 96 but only one would be used.

Thanks for that. Just what I thought. :)

Thanks for that. Just what I thought. :)

How about on a forward/reverse motor control circuit? What would be the contact numbers at the forward and reverse contacts (both normally open start buttons)?

Is it also 3 and 4?

How about on a forward/reverse motor control circuit? What would be the contact numbers at the forward and reverse contacts (both normally open start buttons)?

Is it also 3 and 4?

All N/C buttons (STOP) are 1 & 2 and N/O (START) are 3 & 4. For forward and reverse its 2 x N/O contacts (one for START forward and the other for START reverse) and a STOP connected to 2 separate contactors sometimes labelled KM1 & KM2 and an O/L sometimes labelled F1. Hope i'm helping you here!

All N/C buttons (STOP) are 1 & 2 and N/O (START) are 3 & 4. For forward and reverse its 2 x N/O contacts (one for START forward and the other for START reverse) and a STOP connected to 2 separate contactors sometimes labelled KM1 & KM2 and an O/L sometimes labelled F1. Hope i'm helping you here!

Yes, you're helping.:) Would the thermal overload usually be connected after the stop button (ie. from contact "2" on stop to contact "95" on T. o/l?) rather that after the start buttons? It's been a long time since I've done motor theory. :P

Yes, you're helping.:) Would the thermal overload usually be connected after the stop button (ie. from contact "2" on stop to contact "95" on T. o/l?) rather that after the start buttons? It's been a long time since I've done motor theory. :P

I'm a bit rusty on this myself. I think it goes (MCB - 95, 96 - 1, 2 - 3, 3 - 13, 4 - 14, 4 - A1, A2 - N). Open for correction!

I'm a bit rusty on this myself. I think it goes (MCB - 95, 96 - 1, 2 - 3, 3 - 13, 4 - 14, 4 - A1, A2 - N). Open for correction!

Ok thanks. I think it can be done either way. I've seen some diagrams with the "stop" before the "t.o/l." and vice versa.

Ok thanks. I think it can be done either way. I've seen some diagrams with the "stop" before the "t.o/l." and vice versa.

Something like this

basicmotorcontrol.png

• Advertisement

The one I'm thinking of is similar to this, but with the t.o/l just after the stop button in the circuit.

forwardreversemotor.png

The one I'm thinking of is similar to this, but with the t.o/l just after the stop button in the circuit.

forwardreversemotor.png
    Can't see anything wrong with that. The way I drew it is the way I learned it during my training. Although mine is just for one direction on the motor, you get the idea. Same thing really

Advertisement