Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barack Obama bastardizes the US flag and then has a cheek flog it for $35.

• 20-09-2012 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am sure this is against the law to desecrate a national flag for profit.A lot of patriots would certainly not be to happy with this.

1zgxlkx.jpg

store.barackobama.com

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I am sure this is against the law to desecrate a national flag for profit.A lot of patriots would certainly not be to happy with this.

1zgxlkx.jpg

store.barackobama.com

Seriously? It's a logo, based on the flag. Big deal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Seriously? It's a logo, based on the flag. Big deal.

And this too.

Removes US Flag from rear stabilizer on air force 1 and replaces it with his own logo.

35iuixx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

And this too.

Removes US Flag from rear stabilizer on air force 1 and replaces it with his own logo.

35iuixx.jpg

That's not even Air Force 1 but nice try:pac:

Snopes

I'm aware of the Air Force One callsign setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But this is done all the time.

Sure look at the air force's own markings over the years.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/2160/221472.jpeg

221473.jpg

221474.png

221475.png

221476.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Victor wrote: »
    But this is done all the time.

You're right it is done all the time. But there seems to be an unwritten rule on what you can do and what not to do. The stars in a field of blue stand for the states - separate but equal (people with differences, separate but united, etc, etc, you get the drift - more than something representating an individual). It also serves as a representation of We The People. Putting Obama's symbol in place of this gives the feeling of irreverence to what it represents, and smacks of little more than narcissism on his part. That seems to be what all the uproar is all about.

IMO, here's how it should be done (something I had a hand in the design with)

thumbnail.aspx?q=5007095069739627&id=a98dc0cf3ed36aa5faaa7523b12df316

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Clutching at straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Amerika wrote: »

Y u no recognise the original 13 states? :(

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Banners created by placing a candidate's image, name, or other representation on the U.S. flag as a form of campaign promotion have a long history in American politics and were quite common from the 1840s to the 1880s, as illustrated by this example from 1860:

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/campaignflag.asp#hPaX8mqpXkduKCBG.99

I just love Americans getting their nickers in a twist, about a logo, and forgetting about freedom of expression which allows the burning of a flag. But no who cares about liberty as long as I can shove my version of what it is to be American down everybody else's gob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

You're right it is done all the time. But there seems to be an unwritten rule on what you can do and what not to do. The stars in a field of blue stand for the states - separate but equal (people with differences, separate but united, etc, etc, you get the drift - more than something representating an individual). It also serves as a representation of We The People. Putting Obama's symbol in place of this gives the feeling of irreverence to what it represents, and smacks of little more than narcissism on his part. That seems to be what all the uproar is all about.

While the Obama flag is at best a stylized logo, yours is a total rip off, and could fall foul of US Rules on the use of the Flag,

"The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown."

From http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The Obama one is also a lot more tastefull than this http://www.cafepress.co.uk/mf/4849677/gop-flag_tshirt

And the tie on this page is so not nice http://www.republicanmarket.com/store/home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

1zgxlkx.jpg

store.barackobama.com

One cannot desecrate a flag.

Real patriots understand that the flag is merely a symbol, and ephemeral in real importance at best.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Obama's new flag has been desecrated. :p

2l8dtg6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What is that?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I heard Romney flag only has 23 and half stars on it. Joking aside, I have seen the American flag used from everything from classy linens to vulger sex objects. While I think some might see it as a little more than narcissim, I think they are perhaps a little overtly sensitive and need to toughen up a bit. He is clearly using the flag as a template for his logo and not the flag itself. Had he actually defaced the flag itself with his logo I think there could be some criticism.

On edit: P.S I do like the design of the Music festival flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

But there seems to be an unwritten rule on what you can do and what not to do.

Yes, I believe it is 'Whatever Obama does is unpatriotic, whatever Republicans do is fine.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is all I have to say really

colbert_flag.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Obama's new flag has been desecrated. :p

2l8dtg6.jpg

Try these on for size and then get back to us about 'desecration, hmmmm?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/40950_Uh..._About_That__Obama_Flag

Advertisement