Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook Pro.....Needs to go

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Well, "last Dec" isn't exactly brand new. If you want a Windows machine, why don't you use Bootcamp?

As for the Lenovo U410, I don't like the hybrid solution (in a laptop I want a real SSD, not a platter disk) and I still don't know why they fitted a GT 610M in this machine, in most scenarios Intel's IGP HD 4000 IGP performs much better.

I'd rather get get the Thinkpad E330 (€760 or so at LD) upgrade the memory and fit a proper SSD. A rock solid machine that can take some serious abuse and there isn't much between a "real" Core i5 and a ULV Core i7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Lenovo will launch the T430U in the next few weeks - much better machine than the U410..well IMO anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I bought a MacBook Pro 13" dec 2010 and it's now gone through it's 3rd HD cable, really wish I had gotten the Lenovo Thinkpad instead, they are rock solid machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

No optical drive, which would be a major problem for me anyway.
    Otherwise its fine.
    Am I crazy for getting rid of the mac?
    Nah, crazy for buying a mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Gurgle wrote: »
    No optical drive, which would be a major problem for me anyway.
    Otherwise its fine.

Nah, crazy for buying a mac.
    Next generation of laptops won't have optical drives, they take up far too much room and power, most people never use them. The DVD/CD/BLURAY (well bluray isn't really catching on....) is slowly being phased out now.

• Advertisement

yer man! wrote: »
    Next generation of laptops won't have optical drives, they take up far too much room and power, most people never use them. The DVD/CD/BLURAY (well bluray isn't really catching on....) is slowly being phased out now.
    There have been laptops available for years without optical drives. The few people I've known to be talked into buying them have always ended up buying external drives later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

There have been laptops available for years without optical drives. The few people I've known to be talked into buying them have always ended up buying external drives later.

They never heard of mounting disk images from SD card or USB stick? :D

Torqay wrote: »
    Assumes another PC available which does have an optical drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Torqay wrote: »
    Assumes another PC available which does have an optical drive.

Meh havn't had a DVD/CD drive for over a year..anything you'd ever use a drive has a downloadable alternative might take a lil longer sometimes depending on internet but I'd take an SSD over an optical drive any day..I have an external one bought an enclosure for €5 on eBay..in case I need it and use an old laptop DVD drive I have

Advertisement