Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S tethering on Three

• 20-09-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I've searched on this forum so I know this has been asked before but not recently so i thought I'd check...I'm considering going over to a billpay plan with three (iPhone4s with unlimited data) but i want to use the wifi hotspot facility on the iPhone to connect a tablet (Blackberry Playbook) ..I know it can be done as I have connected to a work colleagues 4s and it worked fine..But, he is a long time Three customer and I believe the T's & C's changed as of 01/01/12 so it is now against the contract?...TBH if I can't do this I won't be going to Three and I'm dragging three other people with me to whichever carrier I go to (not that that is going to encourage them!)

Also, does anyone know if Three will be doing any better deals on the 4s's to clear them out for the 5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

AJTD wrote: »
    Hi, I've searched on this forum so I know this has been asked before but not recently so i thought I'd check...I'm considering going over to a billpay plan with three (iPhone4s with unlimited data) but i want to use the wifi hotspot facility on the iPhone to connect a tablet (Blackberry Playbook) ..I know it can be done as I have connected to a work colleagues 4s and it worked fine..But, he is a long time Three customer and I believe the T's & C's changed as of 01/01/12 so it is now against the contract?...TBH if I can't do this I won't be going to Three and I'm dragging three other people with me to whichever carrier I go to (not that that is going to encourage them!)

Also, does anyone know if Three will be doing any better deals on the 4s's to clear them out for the 5?

Yes, the terms and conditions have changed and you shouldn't tether.....BUT a the moment you still can. Its silly really, they say UNLIMITED data but then they LIMIT how you use it. Stupid.

Remains to be seen if the 'Personal Hotspot' feature will be disabled on the iPhone 5. If so, its a deal (contract) breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AJTD

Yep, was kinda thinking that, how exactly could they tell...its not like I'd be a huge data user anyway..I'm leaning towards just going with the 4s as I think the new features that the 5 has are not what I need

Blocking the wifi hotspot facility would be a deal breaker for me...Also it would be great if they threw free landline calls in on the 4s for the 40.66...Think that would really seal the deal for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

AJTD wrote: »
    Yep, was kinda thinking that, how exactly could they tell...its not like I'd be a huge data user anyway..I'm leaning towards just going with the 4s as I think the new features that the 5 has are not what I need

Blocking the wifi hotspot facility would be a deal breaker for me...Also it would be great if they threw free landline calls in on the 4s for the 40.66...Think that would really seal the deal for me

I also heard this about contract changes on 1 Jan 2012 affecting the personal hotspot feature. That said, Three are a company big on loyalty - I've been with them for a few years, and as a reward I get an upfront 15% off my bill, plus a free add on (which doesn't usually come with their on €40 tariff), plus unlimited data (tethered included even since renewing my contract during 2012). Given that we're really moving into the Data age with smartphones where SMS in particular matters less and less, I think I'm getting a very sweet deal. Plus if you factor in that you can roam on any foreign 3 Network (3 Like Home) as if you never left the State (inc. unlimited data), I think their billpay options are amongst the best out there.

3 Ireland have a call centre in Waterford. From memory you access it by calling their freephone number and choosing the upgrade/discontinue option. Have a chat with somebody there about your plans and your 3 additional friends and see how you get on. I'm not saying you'll have any joy, but they're the part of the company that seems to be the most flexible / eager to please. Credit rating permitting of course ;)

Alternatively, there's a dedicated forum on here staffed by a 3 Ireland employee who assists people with queries, you could try that: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

Lastly, Vodafone and 3 Ireland recently agreed a tie-up with their network infrastructure. Fingers-crossed that that'll see a marked improvement in 3 data quality outside of the main urban areas (where Vodafone signal is stronger).

P.S. You may be able to get yourself and your three friends onto a 3 Business tariff together: http://www.three.ie/business/priceplans/saver.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I moved to 3 after the January date and tethered a few times using Hotspot, not for any major data usage however. I was never charged for it. I didnt know at the time that I wasnt allowed to tether!

That being said I have tried it since early in the summer.

Advertisement