Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Vs. Magick Vs. Wicca Vs. Witchcraft?

Options
  • 21-09-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Is there any reading list or list of online documents that are generally recommended for readers trying to get a useful, general understanding what the terms in this thread's title actually mean, their history, and the distinct difference between each of them?

My problem is I've not got the experience to tell someone who is a respected authority on the subject from someone who simply is getting paid for every 1,000 words they right on something a publishing company's marketing department OK'ed.

So, are the following reasonable sources for information?
    • Whatever I'd find in my local library
    • Wikipedia articles on the same
    • Cited books and site via the Wikipedia articles
    Or is there nothing approaching a definitive concensus on what the terms mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Magic with a K tends to denote ritual magic of the western philosophy which derive from the key of Solomon. Magic with a K was the term used and populated by Alister Crowely in the magical system and eostric order (Themla) which he created and the books he wrote.
    It was an alternate English spelling and was used in a books published as far back as the 1600s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick as with any wiki article check citations.

Witchcraft can be harder to pin down, but I would say witch craft is a way of doing magic/engery work/spells and has no inherent religion needed.

Wicca is the use of witchcraft for religious reasons, it denotes a priesthood into which a person must be initiated and it comes from the Newforest area of England. This still holds true in the UK, but how ever in the USA ( due to certain books) it has some to mean often any sort of pagan witchcraft.

There was a thread with discussion on it a while back
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=211726

Advertisement