Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 week holiday in New Zealand North Island - Where to go

• 21-09-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

My parents are coming over in December and they want to visit relatives in NZ (North Island). We will spend a week there and I am looking for an itinerary of what one must do in NZ north island.

I have seen numerous itineries online however I am worried that the days allocated to each area maybe too much or too little. Particularly for places like Taupo. As our trip is very short (1 week) we would like to visit the "must see" places rather than fitting in as much as possible.

All suggestions appreciated :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Depends on where the relatives are to be honest.

If it was me I'd do 1 day in Auckland, then Coromandel-Rotorua and Taupo/Volcanic Plateau for the rest. If the relatives are in Auckland, I'd spend a bit longer there, and just got to Rotorua/Taupo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Depends on where the relatives are to be honest.

If it was me I'd do 1 day in Auckland, then Coromandel-Rotorua and Taupo/Volcanic Plateau for the rest. If the relatives are in Auckland, I'd spend a bit longer there, and just got to Rotorua/Taupo.

The relatives are close to palmerstown. The plan would be to fly into Auckland, work our way down to them and fly out of Wellington all within 7-8 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

If you've only got a week then maybe a few days each in Rotorua, Taupo or National Park. Theres a lot of tourist stuff around there and nice scenery. You've got lots of geothermal activity in Rotorua, nice lakes, forests, hot pools, some maori cultural shows etc. Taupo's got plenty of thrillseeking activities like jetboat, bungy, skydive etc or watersports. Worth hanging out there for a few days. Then use National Park as a base to do the Tongararo crossing, see Mt Ruapehu, kayak the lovely Whanganui river etc. Between there and Wellington there isnt much of interest. Cept Palmerston North of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pclancy wrote: »
    Between there and Wellington there isnt much of interest. Cept Palmerston North of course :)

Some of us know why the :) really should be a :D:D:D

That last list of suggestions would be great if it was your cousins who were visiting, or if your parents are young-ish, fit and into the outdoors.

But those places as good ones anyway even if they have more sedate tastes. Rotorua for the culture, Taupo for the scenery.

IMHO there are no "must haves" - just lots of things that would be great to do. And in a week, you'll only every cover a small sample of those.

Advertisement