Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wormer/Flea treatments online?

• 21-09-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I've finally gotten a visa debit card so the world of UK online pet sites is now available to me:D
    I can get my usual dog food cheaper on some sites (even with delivery and exchange rates) and was hoping to pick up worming tablets/spot on treatments online as they cost a fortune at the vets. The usual Milbemax and Advocate treatments are on these sites as prescription only, while there are a variety of alternatives such as Drontal, Advantage etc. I'm wondering if any of these are effective, as I've always been told that pet shop wormers are pretty useless (I've never bought them from a pet shop so I don't know the brand names). If anyone knows of good worming products on the likes of vetmedsdirect.co.uk, I'd love to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blondes have more fun

Flea treatments are poison, don't give them at all unless the dog has fleas. The vets won't tell u this. Many treatments will end up giving the dog cancer. Only when absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Flea treatments are poison, don't give them at all unless the dog has fleas. The vets won't tell u this. Many treatments will end up giving the dog cancer. Only when absolutely necessary.

Where on earth did you get this load of ill-informed c**p ?????

Absolutely untrue !!!

Drontal is a very effective wormer - doesn't have the same spectrum as milbemax would - it works against worms in the gut and including tapeworm.
    Advantage is good for fleas alone but doesnt have the full spectrum that advocate would (doesnt do lice, mites or ticks, and doesn't do lungworm...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Drontal is a good wormer and advantage is a good spot on treatment. Just make sure that the product you are buying is genuine and not a fake or knock off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Online I get my stuff from vetuk or medicanimal. Works out better than going to vets.

Normally I get frontline and drontal plus.

Each year my vets put up huge posters about lungworm as they sell Milbemax. After checking it out (and getting info. from millem on here), it seems Milbemax only reduces the chances of infection and does not prevent it fully.

So recently I got Panacur from vetuk which handles lungworm + others. Its a sachet that you mix into the food. Works out at about £1.50 per dog.

At the moment I alternate between the drontal and panacur to try and cover all angles. Might be overkill on my part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I wouldn't use pancur. There are populations of worms that are becoming increasingly resistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Are there any peer reviewed publications to back up this info?

Advertisement