Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pistol grip = restricted ?

Options
  • 21-09-2012 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

Does a .22 semi auto rifle that has a pistol grip require a restricted licence ? i ask because i was told they do, but yet many (nearly all ?) of the olympic issf type target rifles are so equiped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If it looks like a restricted rifle or " assault rifle" then it can based on the supers opinion. but there is no law stating a rifle can't have one only for shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I've heard a licenced rifle in Co,Clare haveing been owned for a number of years has been refused on renewal only this week because of having a pistol type grip.
    I have heard that pistol grip is only an issue on shotguns ... God help the rifle target shooters if this kicks off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I've heard a licenced rifle in Co,Clare haveing been owned for a number of years has been refused on renewal only this week because of having a pistol type grip.

If its the same person were thinking of then he wasnt refused because of a pistol grip.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i have a cz 511 on one of these stocks
    ac556grip1.JPG

no bothers with the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

thermo wrote: »

But does the super know it has that stock on it?

There's an issue imo with getting a licence for a rifle such as a standard 10/22 and putting aftermarket telescopic stocks etc on it and dressing it up as an 'assault rifle'. Having a licence for it is fine..the question is whether one would have been given the licence if the super knew of all the extras on it..important to keep on the right side of the Restricted SI.

• Advertisement

that stock was on the rifle when i bought it second hand, the firearm guard from the local station came out and inspected it (the rifle) before the license was issued. no bothers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As for the shotguns..Well I guess anyone who shoots Olympic trap or skeet in London this year from the Irish side,their O/U are all restricted because of the stocks...Most of them have customised protruding pistol grip stocks ...at least team GB most of their stocks did.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

ac556grip1.JPG

are folding stocks prohibited? or maybe deffo needs a restricted licence

dax121 wrote: »
    are folding stocks prohibited? or maybe deffo needs a restricted licence

No they're not directly prohibited...rimfires are restricted if they 'resemble' an assault rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Just make sure when the stock is folded the overall length is at least 60cm. :)

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    No they're not directly prohibited...rimfires are restricted if they 'resemble' an assault rifle.

And welcome there to the whole fog bank of "grey " definitions of Irish firearms law.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

And that's like pretending this:

80947975.jpg

is this:

1996%20Suzuki%20Escudo%20Pikes%20Peak_3.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

ac556grip1.JPG

why would you want or need an odd looking stock like that for hunting what practicle advantage would it give you

Pretty handy if you are in a vechicle doing a vermin patrol and want to get out of the vechicle in a hurry to take a shot at some vermin.

Works nicely if you are out in dense brush and want somthing a bit handier to work thru the mess.
    Above all,
    They are FUN to shoot.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    They are FUN to shoot.:)

Hell yeah, with all the "seriousness" of guns, most people seem to be afraid to have fun with them. :)

snipe02 wrote: »
    why would you want or need an odd looking stock like that for hunting what practicle advantage would it give you

i have it because i can :)
    i like guns that are not the run of the mill. for example i have the above mentioned .22, a L42 and a repro india pattern brown bess musket (fully proofed used for the most part for battle re-enactment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

i have it because i can :)
    i like guns that are not the run of the mill. for example i have the above mentioned .22, a L42 and a repro india pattern brown bess musket (fully proofed used for the most part for battle re-enactment).
    ye why not they look cool. if its your thing, to me i suppose its a tool to do a job was just curious as to why lads like tactical looking guns i just didnt see the practical use for hunting by the way i know absolutely f#ck all about rifles and cant even stand semiauto shotguns just the look of em to modern for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Thats like when clinton tried to ban "assault" rifles in america, what exactly in law defines a rifle as an assault rifle ? A black plastic stock ? A muzzle brake ? A detachable magazine ? Lots of boring old run of the mill hunting rifles have those features and it doesn't make them an assault rifle. With all legal opinions on both sides , no one could define what did and didn't constitute an assault rifle in america.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjM9fcEzSJ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ye why not they look cool. if its your thing, to me i suppose its a tool to do a job was just curious as to why lads like tactical looking guns i just didnt see the practical use for hunting by the way i know absolutely f#ck all about rifles and cant even stand semiauto shotguns just the look of em to modern for me

Don't knock them until you've tried them , they are surprisingly comfortable and some are fully adjustable.

rowa wrote: »
    Thats like when clinton tried to ban "assault" rifles in america, what exactly in law defines a rifle as an assault rifle ? A black plastic stock ? A muzzle brake ? A detachable magazine ? Lots of boring old run of the mill hunting rifles have those features and it doesn't make them an assault rifle. With all legal opinions on both sides , no one could define what did and didn't constitute an assault rifle in america.

It's whatever the guards decide looks like an assault rifle basically...that's why it's written the way it is..covers the AR15 .22's etc right out of the gate and is an avenue to restrict dolled up 10/22's and the like.

• Advertisement

It's whatever the guards decide looks like an assault rifle basically...that's why it's written the way it is..covers the AR15 .22's etc right out of the gate and is an avenue to restrict dolled up 10/22's and the like.

So its the way a rifle looks rather than its actually capabilities ? A brno semi auto 10 shot is ok but a ruger 10/22 10 shot with black plastic stock is verboten ? What sort of bullplop is that ? The way a firearm looks never hurt anyone.

rowa wrote: »
    So its the way a rifle looks rather than its actually capabilities ? A brno semi auto 10 shot is ok but a ruger 10/22 10 shot with black plastic stock is verboten ? What sort of bullplop is that ? The way a firearm looks never hurt anyone.

Well 10 shot 10/22's in a black stock are sold all over Ireland..I think its aftermarket telescopic stocks etc that would be a problem for the guards.

It says 'resembles' an assault rifle so it's the aesthetics of the rifle they have an issue with. I know a lad who was refused restricted licence for AR15 pattern .22lr because of how it looks..dont know if the guy pursued it.

i find the pistol grip is more comfortable to hold then a more traditional stock.

Advertisement