Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about quoting "etiquette"

Options
  • 21-09-2012 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

Are there sort of "rules" (I use that term lightly) when quoting people?
    I've see people quote the entire message and reply.
    I've seen people quote the poster and then quote each post individually (in quotation marks so we know it's from the poster)
    I've seen people quote each post with the poster name in the quote.

Is there a particular way it's done "properly"?
    Or can I just quote the damn thing, remove the spaces (from multiple quoted messages) and reply?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Are there sort of "rules" (I use that term lightly) when quoting people?
    Meh, No, not really.

Couple of Threads where it's not allowed as it needlessly fills the page and takes up server space.

I've see people quote the entire message and reply.
    Fine, unless it's a mega post that takes 10 scrolls to get to the bottom of it. That's a no no. If just replying to a certain point then just keep that bit.

For mega posts do something like...
    Big long post about a "cat"
    This^^^....and maybe stick in the URL of the Cat...if you want.

I've seen people quote the poster and then quote each post individually (in quotation marks so we know it's from the poster)
    You mean like breaking up a post but without the posters name in each bit...
    (in quotation marks so we know it's from the poster)
    Like this^^^ I don't like that, can't be sure it's all from the same person (sometimes it actually isin't) especially if it's a Thread bump and the quoted post is few pages back.

I've seen people quote each post with the poster name in the quote.
    Yea, this is better.

Is there a particular way it's done "properly"?
    Or can I just quote the damn thing, remove the spaces (from multiple quoted messages) and reply?
    Ah feck it, do it your own way, if you mess up, someone will happily point it out.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And don't quote pics. Maybe just the title as it is annoying to see the same pic 6 times on one page.
    Generally I (after being told of by another poster) do not quote if I am responding to the immediately previous post.

Advertisement