Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some design help needed

Options
  • 21-09-2012 6:53am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little design help on an AV system. Basically I have a few inputs and outputs and want to consolidate it so its easier to manage.

Inputs
    Sky HD box
    Sky multi room box
    Video/DVD player
    External Composite video
    PC

Outputs
    5 TV's
    1 Projector

In a nutshell everything works over RF and it works fine with a few exceptions. The sky multi room box feeds into an RF mod box and then this in turn feeds into the video/dvd player which feeds into the main sky box as an input. RF feed from this sky box then going into an amp/splitter with 6 outputs. The RTE feed also goes into this RF mod box where it is combined. (confused yet?)

This feeds all TVs and allows for either sky box or RTE to be displayed along with video/dvd on different TVs. The big problems is with the projector or the PC. The projector is fed from the main skybox via composite so it only have one of the sources and its a pain to change around due to cable locations. The pc is composite out into an rf mod box also but I find when I connect it, it becomes too much for the chain of mess and I get interference despite it being on a well separated channel. I have to unplug other stuff to get it to display clearly.

In a nutshell I want to combine it all. I can't afford to hire someone at the moment or spend too much on kit but I need it to work so its easy for anyone to change it. I'm waiting for my brother to put up some units in the attic for me and I am going to run all cables to it, and in some cases pull new coax to replace the old damaged ones. would be nice to have everything in one place.

The TV's are a few years old and are cheap enough walker ones except for the main tele. The only connection available at each point is RF so it is the ideal system for delivery. I use magic eyes to control the main box as it is out of the way, the multiroom box is accessible. The amp I use is magic eye compatible and I find that no matter where I plug a magic eye in, it works, which is nice.

I also wanted to add an input point where I could connect my camcorder to an composite wall point and have it available to all TV's.

Bit of an ask and I can see how I could do it with a combination of RF modulators, combiner boxes and amps but I lack the experience in this area to know all the options.

I am in the UK next week so I might be able to pick up some of the kit there cheaper than at home but if possible I'd prefer to buy in Ireland.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 RonnieWhelan

If im correct i think what you are after is a multi-room audio controller and video matrix, not sure what your budget is but you would deffo be looking at a few grand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

My budget is nowhere near that unfortunately.

Advertisement