Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

84x from Greystones

Options
  • 21-09-2012 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed how bad the early service on the 84x has gotten in recent weeks? Each day I go to a stop in greystones to wait for the 7.10am or 7.20am bus and they rarely turn up on time. Today I waited from 7.10 until 7.30 for the bus to arrive and then two arrive together. And while I know schools are back it's also taking a lot longer to get into the city centre. Does anyone get the first bus from Greystones in the morning and if so what time does it leave greystones village at (I know the timetable says 6.50am but I'm looking for the actual time it arrives)? Thanks (rant over!!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

The one that's supposed to pass through Charlesland at 7:10 came at 7:22. It disappeared from the RTPI online around 10 mins before that, which makes me wonder where it gets the info from!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

The normal 8am one turned up 15 minutes late in C'land. You wouldn't want to be relying on them. Back to the dart for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

FirstIn wrote: »
    The normal 8am one turned up 15 minutes late in C'land. You wouldn't want to be relying on them. Back to the dart for me.

Yeah I think it might be time I try the dart. The bus was very reliable (or a lot more reliable) during the summer seems to have gotten really bad only recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They Sit up on the Link Road or Outside Kilcoole Primary school and seem to enter Service at the last minute they are never on time

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Did you complain to Dublin Bus? Might be an idea to do that before switching to the Dart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

They Sit up on the Link Road or Outside Kilcoole Primary school and seem to enter Service at the last minute they are never on time

Used to be a great service, I used it all the time a few years ago, but it just got so unreliable, now I drive to the Luas in Kilmacud. Charlesland to Town in 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

Fully agree. The buses are never on time at least according to the timetable. For example the 7:25 comes at 7:30. The 7:35 comes 7:42 and that means the 7:45 was either 3 minutes early or will be 10 minutes late. It's very frustrating because before the timetable changed this route worked like clockwork and was dependable. I am going to contact Dublin Bus to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Not to mention every other driver charging me and the kids a different fare on our Leap Cards. Despite doing the same journey for over 4 months!

No wonder people choose to drive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I noticed another 84x breakdown at the start of the Southern Cross this morning at 7.45. Possibly the worst place / time for a break down. You aren't guaranteed a place on the next bus because it's starting to get really busy AND it's completely messed up for the rest of the people on the Southern Cross because there is next to no chance of them getting on the bus.

So glad I got a job closer to home before the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

d31b0y wrote: »
    I noticed another 84x breakdown at the start of the Southern Cross this morning at 7.45. Possibly the worst place / time for a break down. You aren't guaranteed a place on the next bus because it's starting to get really busy AND it's completely messed up for the rest of the people on the Southern Cross because there is next to no chance of them getting on the bus.

I was on a 184 a year or so ago that broke down halfway up the hill at windgates, a bit before the kennels. Now that's a terrible place to break down.

I haven't noticed a huge change in the 84x reliability myself, it seems just as unreliable as all the other dublin bus buses to me tbh. I'm getting the dart more and more often, even though its a bit more of a walk, it's nearly always on time, and I find it much quicker, into town in 45 minutesish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The DART is good but way overpriced. 8.70 return into Dublin. I can get the 115 Eur tickets for Dublin Bus which work out at 3.83 Eur return. Less than half price.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Oh I know the dart is way overpriced, especially in comparison to tickets from bray. If I couldn't get student tickets I probably wouldn't get the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 philcheetham

d31b0y wrote: »

was on this bus this morning and was hoping someone would open a thread about it. Someone actually had a fit / seizure on the top tier of the bus, hence why it was stopped. Waited for the ambulance by which time, thankfully, the young man had come around. Was not a nice experience for all those on the top tier. Bus driver was very good in that he put the bus out of service for the rest of the journey and we got into dublin not too much later than expected.

As a side note, the bus driver was handed a mobile phone, which i think was from one of the young students who was on the upper deck - if they have lost their phone, contact dublin bus and the driver has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

Email from Dublin Bus. Lets see if anything improves
    "

Dear Mr Harrison,

I refer to your email in relation to the level of service of the 84x. On behalf of Dublin Bus I would like to apologise for any dissatisfaction you have experienced with our service.

I have forwarded your comments to Operations manager here in Donnybrook Depot for his review. He is currently conducting a review of the 84x schedule. As well as that we will be monitoring the route closely to see what other improvements can be made.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Alastar Ó Cuinneagáin
    Donnybrook Depot
    Dublin Bus
    Directors Stiurthoiri: Mr K Bonner - Chairman Cathaoirleach, U McGrath, M McGennis, G Joyce, W McCamley, W McDermott
    Bus Atha Cliath, a Limited Company Registered in Ireland at 59 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1 No 119569, VAT No IE 481 2849E
    Bus Atha Cliath, Cuideachta Theoranta Claraithe in Eirinn ag 59 Sraid Ui Chonaill Uachtarach, Baile Atha Cliath"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I usually have no problem with the 84x but only use it as a link to the Dart, though I was on it that faithful day last year when it broke down halfway up Windgates.

No 7.45 bus this morning at Charlesland this morning though. It didn't turn up until about 7.57 with the 7.55 bus literally 1 minute behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

The DART is good but way overpriced. 8.70 return into Dublin. I can get the 115 Eur tickets for Dublin Bus which work out at 3.83 Eur return. Less than half price.

Can you get a taxsaver ticket through your employer? Works out at effectively €40 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I've noticed a deterioration in the 84X service too. Last week I waited for the 7:30am bus from Kilcoole and it didn't come so I got the 7:40am one instead. But sure it was full by the time it reached the far side of Greystones and just flew past everyone at Redford and everywhere else after that. Also went for the 7am bus from Kilcoole there one morning and it didn't come either- but five minutes later, 3 out of service buses and one 84 all ended up in the cul de sac down the sea road...didn't even think 4 buses could fit down there. In the mean time, the 7:15am 84x went down towards Newcastle. Don't think Kilcoole has ever seen so many buses!

I love the 84X and I consider myself lucky because I live in Kilcoole and can get them handy enough, but it is a pain when they don't show up.

P.S Was anyone on the 7:30am bus yesterday morning? I was on the one behind and noticed that it was stopped with the hazards on at Southern Cross (about 8am) and two ambulances were there. Hope everything was ok.

Advertisement