Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on how to cook Herring

Options
  • 21-09-2012 7:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to introduce some more fish into families diet besides the usual salmon. I have 1KG herring which I purchased for 2EUR(never realised it was so cheap!)

Has anyone any simple recipes or how to cook for a simple quick lunch?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Herring goes off REALLY quickly because of how oily it is so you need to use it all at once.Brushing with milk, dipping in seasoned flour and then frying works well.You can make a nice Dijon sauce with the butter from the pan when done.With the remainder, I personally would pickle and make into rollmops which are well tasty. We smoke our own fish which is another tasty option if you have access to one.Why herring by the way? Seems like a funny choice if you're not used to fish as it's quite strong and very oily! Once again, the key secret is cooking it as soon as it comes out of the sea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Why Herring? I'm not sure really. I'm living up in the Nordics so I'm not sure what to go for yet?

Growing up I have eaten a lot of fish particulary fish like herring, whitening and mackeral so I'm well used to it. Its cooking it I have never done.

SO you suggest brushing the fish with oil and just dip it into a bowl of flour with salt and pepper?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

No don't brush with oil! Dip in milk and then coat in seasoned flour before putting on the pan.Lucky you being in the Nordics, I'd say the fish will be gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Oh, Milk I meant not oil!.

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Fillet the fish, dip the flesh side in some oatmeal. Pan fry some streaky bacon to allow the fat to render out of it. Remove the cooked bacon and pan fry the herring in the bacon fat - a few minutes on each side is enough. Serve with the bacon and some butter brown bread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just eat it raw the way nature intended

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Herring with toast, or oatmeal (a traditional Scottish dish) its very flavoursome (one of the best fish imo), don't over do it with other ingredients. Smoked herring is beautiful too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sprinkle a little white pepper on the meat and cook under a slow grill meat side up, then flip and crispy up the skin side, about 3 minutes in total. Yummy!

Advertisement