Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Brass Picture lights...Messy Job? Opening can of worms?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

You would be better off wiring them into the existing lighting circuit and your electrician could suggest the best possible way. An extension lead trailing to supply the light/lights is not ideal. What about switching it on and off? Surely having the new switch beside the main lighting switch/dimmer would be a lot more convenient? These jobs can be done with minimal damage by jumping stud joists ie cutting and or drilling small holes at each joist and using some good filler can be made good again. Can you get access from upstairs room to the ceiling below by lifting floorboards? And since you've just redecorated you must have some paint left to give a quick lick. My two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

desoc32 wrote: »
    You would be better off wiring them into the existing lighting circuit and your electrician could suggest the best possible way. An extension lead trailing to supply the light/lights is not ideal. What about switching it on and off? Surely having the new switch beside the main lighting switch/dimmer would be a lot more convenient? These jobs can be done with minimal damage by jumping stud joists ie cutting and or drilling small holes at each joist and using some good filler can be made good again. Can you get access from upstairs room to the ceiling below by lifting floorboards? And since you've just redecorated you must have some paint left to give a quick lick. My two cents!

Hi there cheers for reply the light switches are on the far side of the room which would mean I assume pilot holes right across the ceiling or walls. Hmmm cant lift floor boards upstairs as they were just covered by brand new carpet. I know it would be a pain having to unplug the lights from a flex cord but i just wanted the least intrusive way to do it. I might need to knock this brain wave on the head!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just lift the carpet and do the job right. Your not going to destroy the carpet, it will just need to be put back on the gripper bars.

As you go upwards from the lights location, you probably won't hit anything... Just run the cables over to the existing switch and fit a double there.

Advertisement