Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasion of the flying insects - Clonsilla

Options
  • 21-09-2012 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else notice swarms of insects????

In my house also :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

amdublin wrote: »
    Anyone else notice swarms of insects????

In my house also :(

No just Spiders that are the size off gazelles:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yep, they're everywhere. Thinks that's why the spiders are so big as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

We have loads of them small flies, think they might be fruit flies, a right psin in the a**e they are. We've been leaving a quarter glass of sweet wine on the mantelpiece and they love the stuff, caught about 20 in 2 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

mattb74 wrote: »
    We have loads of them small flies, think they might be fruit flies, a right psin in the a**e they are. We've been leaving a quarter glass of sweet wine on the mantelpiece and they love the stuff, caught about 20 in 2 days!

Haha ..Im swamped with the buggers as well.
    Blocking the sinks helps somewhat as they seem to come up through them.

The wine works well , but personally I prefer not to waste my precious vino on them! I think a better way is to leave out a bowl half filled with vinegar and cover it in clingfilm. Perforate the clingfilm enough so they can get in but not get out. Works amazingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

anbrutog wrote: »
    Haha ..Im swamped with the buggers as well.
    Blocking the sinks helps somewhat as they seem to come up through them.

The wine works well , but personally I prefer not to waste my precious vino on them! I think a better way is to leave out a bowl half filled with vinegar and cover it in clingfilm. Perforate the clingfilm enough so they can get in but not get out. Works amazingly.

normally those flies are associated with rotting vegetables....hmmmm they dont come through the sink hole in any event :rolleyes:
    they seem to spontaneously materialise around the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I was at Ashtown stn this eve and they were all there as well.

I hope this cold weather tonight kills them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Seemingly the wet weather meant that we got two lifecycles of these midgey fly things. I guess this is why we are seeing so many.

Midgey fly things! That is exactly what I'd call them.

But I've never seen so many before in my life.

Midgey fly things! That is exactly what I'd call them.

But I've never seen so many before in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

my friend (who has a degree in such things) says that it is because the male little flies chase the female ones, and hence they congregrate looking for thr females, of which there are less this year due to the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I kept getting attacked by dragons (daddy long legs and moths) in my room at night the last few weeks, and I was told they navigate by stars and light and that sort of thing. So having my window open and the light on was attracting them.

Unusually enough, a killer dragon (wasp) flew in the other night. Had a serious battle for a while and just when I thought I had the better of him, 3 of his dragon mates came in and they strategically managed to corner me. Some swift tactical manouvering got the bedroom door open and closed, and I left the rest of the household to deal with them while I held tight in my safehouse.

Windows have been firmly shut since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

2 Huge Moth Attacks , several huuuuge spiders, big gangs of airborne midgies when I go out for an evening walk, a snail on my doorbell (???).
    My 17 y.o son is terrified of the moths, wouldn't sleep in his room for 2 nights when one was in there.

At least the tiny annoying flies that were appearing in August/ early Sept seem to have died off. Couldn't leave a tea bag on the sink or a crumb on the surface with them.

zef wrote: »
    2 Huge Moth Attacks , several huuuuge spiders, big gangs of airborne midgies when I go out for an evening walk, a snail on my doorbell (???).
    My 17 y.o son is terrified of the moths, wouldn't sleep in his room for 2 nights when one was in there.

Did you mistakenly type 17 instead of 7 :p?
    And yeah they insects are all over the place but they're good feed for the starlings who are getting ready to head off on their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

These must be the amazing migratory Blanchardstown Starlings that migrate instead of hanging around for the winter like 99 percent of normal starlings.

Ahem I know you meant swifts which have gone by now and any that were lagging behind are surely gone after this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi Wildlife boy, is it swifts or starlings that nested in my roof for the last couple of years?, went quiet about 6-8 weeks ago so I eventually got round to filling the holes in. I was terrified that they'd left eggs in there but it just couldn't go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

it could have been either. starlings make a racket. swifts dont. i would guess starlings

Advertisement