Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Vs Samsung

• 21-09-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

After having just read Overheal's thread here, I noticed that alot of the comments were biased in favor of Samsung. It seems that personnel preference played a key role in the hearings. (Samung won their case in Seoul, Apple won theirs in California)

I just wonder which direction most people would go here in neutral territory.

So, Apple or Samsung?

(PS, cheers for your post OH, very interesting summation :) )

Samsung or Apple? 127 votes

Samsung Fanboy/girl
    0% 0 votes
    Apple Fanboy/girl
    75% 96 votes
    Couldn't give a rats ass.
    24% 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

duh Atari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Samsung also won in the UK. The judgement was that Apple have to apologise to Samsung by stating that "Samsung didn't copy Apple" on their website for 6 months. The USA trial was corrupt, it should never have been a jury and lots of the evidence that Samsung were due to present was dismissed as the judge said they had ran out of time.

Imagine the sad place the world would be if Henry Ford sued the shít out of everyone else who put an engine on a 4 wheel carriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Have used an iphone for the last two years but was recently given a Galaxy S3 to try out for a few weeks until i get sent the iphone5. While I can see that(according to statistics) the Samsung should be the superior phone, the user interface is far too clunky, the S-Voice feature is poor. I can't be bothered with it any longer, so I'm back on my 4s until the new phone arrives. The iPhones just seem better for business use in my opinion, though that may be because all the directors have iPhones so all our processes are optimised for them.

But hey, it's just MY opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What if I prefer Samsung but amn't a fanboy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I only care about those that care about me. . . . .

. . . . :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

summerskin wrote: »
    the user interface is far too clunky
    Have to agree here, and the os is a lot slower too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I swing both ways. Samsung phone and Apple laptop...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have used an iphone for the last two years but was recently given a Galaxy S3 to try out for a few weeks until i get sent the iphone5. While I can see that(according to statistics) the Samsung should be the superior phone, the user interface is far too clunky, the S-Voice feature is poor. I can't be bothered with it any longer, so I'm back on my 4s until the new phone arrives. The iPhones just seem better for business use in my opinion, though that may be because all the directors have iPhones so all our processes are optimised for them.

But hey, it's just MY opinion.

Posted for possible accuracy:

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/1827/20147810151205065276201k.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/7527/47126810151210892401201.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Apple seem like the kind of company that, if they could, would happily have you shot if they thought you were coming close to emulating or improving upon their stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have a 27" iMac for my computer and think its great, have a HTC One S for my phone and I like it too.

Fanboyism from either side its just idiotic

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

Yeeees Biggins. As i said, I'm aware that the Galaxy S3 has higher specs, but I much prefer the iPhone. I have the 4s and an iPad3, also have a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy Tab, which are both now attracting dust on my bedside table.

Yeeees Biggins. As i said, I'm aware that the Galaxy S3 has higher specs, but I much prefer the iPhone.

...And thats quite your right.
    Each to their own (preference). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Samsung, but I'm not a fanboy.

I'm not a fan of Apple and will avoid their products if I can, I havent had an Apple device to date and I wont be adding to it anytime soon.

Apple all the way.

On my second iPhone now and love it, got the first one just after buying a laptop and if I had the phone first I'd have got a macbook. Next laptop will be a macbook air and plan on getting an iPad also.

I personally avoid Apple not because I hate their phones (I don't - they DO make good phones).
    I avoid Apple because I'm unhappy about the methods in which they operate world-wide, their condescending attitude towards competition and customers.
    I avoid Apple because I'm unhappy about the way they make user rights restricted when possible at every turn, be this by DRM or by using a socket that forces others to only avail of their pricey (another issue) more limited range - or sometimes no sockets/port at all to allow direct access to put stuff on independently.

I personally avoid Apple not because I hate their phones (I don't - they DO make good phones).
    I avoid Apple because I'm unhappy about the methods in which they operate world-wide, their condescending attitude towards competition and customers.
    I avoid Apple because I'm unhappy about the way they make user rights restricted when possible at every turn, be this by DRM or by using a socket that forces others to only avail of their pricey (another issue) more limited range - or sometimes no sockets/port at all to allow direct access to put stuff on independently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I don't buy Apple products for the same reasons Biggins listed above. I'm offended by their nasty practices, restrictive software, proprietary connector, battery glued in place.

I bought an ipod once, wasn't a great experience. I soon realised my brothers Creative was better, it didn't force me to use itunes, I could do drag and drop, I could "borrow" music and it played wma. It cost half the price of the ipod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I prefer Apple because I find them easy to use and reliable. Used other phones - and laptops - and found then fiddly and annoying by comparison. I guess that makes me an Apple fan boy, but then again if I enjoy using their stuff (and prefer it), then why ever not? The same thing would apply to Samsung users who prefer their products.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep but as pointed out it isn't always about the specs. I've found similar to summerskin with the various Android phones that have gone through my hands, the OS isn't as integrated, just isn't as slick. It feels more like a work in progress even with the extra specs. It (to me) feels like a less polished product. Now it's not a big difference by any means, more little niggles that build up. Kinda similar to the way Windows used to be when compared to MacOS. You could do more, but at the same time more things kinda got in your way. Now you can tweak the OS and that's fine and some people like that kinda thing, but as an out of the box experience the apple stuff tends to be slicker in use.

I have to say I was impressed with my time with the Microsoft phone OS. They took a novel direction, it's most certainly not an Apple OS look and feel clone and fair play. Gun to my head for the out of the box experience and ease of use I'd take Apple OS, followed by MS and then Android. Pretty similar a breakdown to how I'd choose a desktop OS though windows/mac would be closer run thing, with Linux waaaay behind.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I use consumer electronics to help define who I am as a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Apple fanboys/girls are todays equivalents of the "Nokia Retard" people who can use no other phone but their brand.

Though it's more they don't want to use anything else so they say it's sh1t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

or sometimes no sockets/port at all to allow direct access to put stuff on independently steal stuff.
    I suspect that fixes the post in many who object. Personally I've rarely heard any complaints from people who actually buy their content, only those who might look at you quizzically if you pointed out that the word "torrent" can also apply to water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Says it all really

When you buy an apple product, you know what you get. The phones are designed to be user friendly and just work. With an android device the actual phone specs are so different that a sales man will tell you it's a better OS but come time to use it, apps wont run and it can be slow as fúck. I'd compare some of their phones like a 10 year old laptop trying to run windows 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm still bitter with apple over them forcing itunes on me, and encrypting and hiding my music on my ipod so it could only be read by itunes. That was a dick move.

Was a great day when I realised I could install rockbox on the ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

this is playstation vs xbox all over again.

FatherLen wrote: »
    this is playstation vs xbox all over again.
    ahh you're coming late to the game, I remember when it was Commodore Versus Sinclair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hate them both, windows for life yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I long for the days when people were arguing about Apple Vs. Oranges or even bananas. Those bananas never stood a chance mind .

But hey, listen up, see nobody buys apples anymore, and none of those women down in Moore Street make a penny, because there's nobody that wants to spend their money down there, and everybody has forgotten what a real apple is, and nobody listens to those doctors anymore and it's just a god damn tragedy if I'm going to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I can do a lot more with my SGS2 out of the box so its Samsung all the way.

Not into all that Jailbreaking malarkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Apple fanboys/girls are todays equivalents of the "Nokia Retard" people who can use no other phone but their brand.

Though it's more they don't want to use anything else so they say it's sh1t.

Not true. Most iphone users are windows users. The iPod touch users don't necessarily have iPhones, there are android phone users who have been mac users for decades. If you have an IPad you may not have an iPhone.

This is a myth from when mac users were 2% and were fairly fanatical. Anyway there are some left, but Apple usage is becoming normal. The anti-Apple guys come across as the fanatics these days.

I can do a lot more with my SGS2 out of the box so its Samsung all the way.

I like this line, but apart from not having to use iTunes and no external memory what exactly can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

NERDS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Wibbs wrote: »
    I suspect that fixes the post in many who object. Personally I've rarely heard any complaints from people who actually buy their content, only those who might look at you quizzically if you pointed out that the word "torrent" can also apply to water.

I'm sorry but that is a load of arse

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    NERDS!!!
    How did you have your eggs this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

had the original iPhone then the iPhone 4, moved to the S2 for a bigger screen and more freedom with the device

so if I had a choice of either the 5 or S3 it would be the S3 cause its the best bang for your buck

but its down to personal choice in the end as both phones are amazing devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Good post OP, I'm very interested to see what the outcome of this poll - who has the bigger influence on Boards - the android group (which may not all be Samsung fans - or the apple group.

I didn't pick a side - I've an android phone that's exactly what I need, and an Ipad that's exactly what I need.

I'm glad that there's such fierce competition - the two most popular phones on the market are very well regarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I currently have an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy S2 - iPhone is my main work phone and I have to say it does a great job. It works. My S2 is my personal phone and I use it for non-essential stuff.

The Galaxy was slower, full of crap samsung software and had crap battery life. Then I rooted it and installed vanilla Android 4.1 (JellyBean) - wow what an improvement.

So I'm due an upgrade in october and I'm trying to decide what if anything to get. I am leaning towards getting an S3 and rooting it to install Jellybean without all the samsung bloatware. Perhaps I'll get a windows 8 phone instead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I have an iPhone. While it's good fir some things, it's crap for others.

Most of all, iTunes is the most user-UNFRIENDLY pile of crap I've ever used.

Thankfully a boardsie informed me of a free program called Media Monkey which means you can just Right click and Send stuff to your iPhone/pad.

Crucially, you can plug your phone into Amy computer and take music off it unlike iTunes where you can only download off your own iTunes. (unless you're willing to wipe what's on your iPhone in order to get someone else's music).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Was apple all the way until I saw the specs of the 5... (have iphone since 2007)
    I moved reluctantly to a samsung s3 and have to say it p's all over the performance of the 4s.
    OS is much faster, slicker once you get used to it.
    It does take a bit of time to get used to but once you do its a beast of a phone.
    Simple things like Twitter and facebook refreshing in background and clearing the browser history is so much easier on the S3.
    I am not a fanboy of either but still love my ipad and imac.
    I just think that apple have fallen behind with this phone release.
    Old OS , great hardware , dual core processor was a bit of a disappointment.
    I will be back for iphone 6 though...

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    NERDS!!!
    ...AND PROUD OF IT! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My last 2 phones have been HTCs, and I would consider them again for my next phone. But I would also consider Samsung, Sony, Nokia, Apple, etc and see what's best available at that time.

Fanboys are silly, if you're dropping my cash then have a look at what's available instead of blindly going with the iPhone/Galaxy S whatever...

I'm sorry but that is a load of arse
    Really http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80875332&postcount=271 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80870543&postcount=262 that's just from the last page of the other apple/samsung thread. That's a very common reason people give regarding their dismissal of itunes/apple way of doing things. They just want to drag and drop media. Now that's cool and the gang, however looking at the level of piracy in media these days one would tend to suspect many people's motives for dragging and dropping.

From a content providers POV the apple itunes store model is a much better bet, hence so many have signed up to it. This goes for app programmers too. The iphone/ipad environment is one of, if not the most software piracy free IT zones there is. Apple's strategy out of the gate suggesting lower priced apps most certainly helped, but the controlled environment made a big difference on that score. Dont get me wrong, I have more than a few issues with how apple sometimes implements this environment, but it definitely worked and helped content providers, big and small actually get a return on their efforts if they wished to charge for same.
    sham69 wrote:
    Was apple all the way until I saw the specs of the 5...
    I agree. Very uninspiring. Now I see why they go for incremental changes. It makes sense, both from their standpoint and the app writers and users standpoint. Keeping the general stuff consistent means you don't run into the possible problems of running the same app across 5 or 6 different screen sizes/chip speeds etc, but they could have certainly beefed up the specs without losing that. They could have made more brave stylistic choices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Based on my personal preference

Phones - Samsung
    Tablets - Apple
    Laptops - don't have a clue really,never owned Apple machine before so I can't really comment about that.

Wibbs wrote: »
    They could have made more brave stylistic choices too.

I thought of this, but then I remembered the difference in feel between the 3gs and the 4. The 4 is probably the nicest handset I've ever had, it just fits perfectly in your hand so I guessed they stuck with what worked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

At the time, I chose Android because it meant I wasn't stuck to a manufacturer telling me what I could / could not do with my phone. Or limit connectivity because it'll need propriety leads / bluetooth what have ye.

I've a friend who has an iPhone and can't send stuff to his girlfriend even though her phone has bluetooth, because the iPhone will only recognise other apple mobile devices. That's out of the fecking box.

It's not really that hard to use Android. Any new device you pick up is going to take a bit of time to get familiar with the set up / placement of things. Hell even a remote for a TV you're not used to can cause you to scratch the head for a bit.
    smash wrote: »
    When you buy an apple product, you know what you get. The phones are designed to be user friendly and just work. With an android device the actual phone specs are so different that a sales man will tell you it's a better OS but come time to use it, apps wont run and it can be slow as fúck. I'd compare some of their phones like a 10 year old laptop trying to run windows 7.

To keep up an even comparison, that laptop would not have been designed to run Windows 7. Just as Apple have phased out support for older devices with updates to iOS, the same happens with Android. There are some cheap manufacturers out there that can be rather lazy with the design of the phones and not take requirements seriously. but there are some amazing manufacturers out there who make really good budget phones that are up to spec. The Huawei Ascend G300 being a very good example of that.

To be honest though, all I feel all Apple sell is empty pockets...

smash wrote: »
    I thought of this, but then I remembered the difference in feel between the 3gs and the 4. The 4 is probably the nicest handset I've ever had, it just fits perfectly in your hand so I guessed they stuck with what worked.

my wife hates the 4 and sticks with her 3GS as she thinks it feels nicer in her hand.

i find i can lean the 4S against the wall at the back of the toilet cistern much more easily because of it's less rounded appearance, making it much more porn and fap-compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I love iPhones.

Primarily because so many people don't look after them which means I get plenty of repairs. Smashed backs & screens left, right, and center :pac:

Plus the headphone jacks in them fail at the drop of a hat as well as the power button failing a fair bit on the 4 / 4S, too.

Samsungs have their own problems but the iPhones are the more popular and frequent phones.

I'm not big into phones, myself, despite working in IT. A phone that texts and does calls is all I'm interested in, though I was tempted by the Sony Xperia Play because you could flip it up and use it as a controller to play emulators on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have a GS2, it's a great phone. Never tried a iphone, but correct me if I'm wrong, you need to install software on your computer like itunes in order to use it? That's enough to put me off. Apple has a better feel to it, it's well made and the phones themselves seem fine. Buy whatever you like! I'd get a apple laptop if I won the lotto.

I do think people queuing up outside to upgrade their phone seem slightly mental. For instance, I have a panasonic lumix lx3 (compact camera). Then the newer version (the lx5) came out with it's extra couple of megapixel, faster shutter speeds, bigger screen, auto focus tracking and whatever other features. If I queued up outside a camera shop on release day I think my wife would bring me to a doctor. But for some reason the iphone users seem perfectly fine doing this. :confused:
    They really have bought into the brand, it's almost cult like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I have the SIII at the moment but I'd class myself as more of a fan of Android than Samsung.

I've actually stripped the phone of all Samsung software so it's just plain vanilla Android.

No problem with the iPhone, seems like a quality product...I just can't stand Apple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement