Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Vs Samsung

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

steve_r wrote: »
    Good post OP, I'm very interested to see what the outcome of this poll - who has the bigger influence on Boards - the android group (which may not all be Samsung fans - or the apple group.

I didn't pick a side - I've an android phone that's exactly what I need, and an Ipad that's exactly what I need.

I'm glad that there's such fierce competition - the two most popular phones on the market are very well regarded.

If Apple really had its way there would be absolutely no competition, only them and there walled garden OS. They would sue everyone else out of existence and have all there products banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭recyclops

Very reluctantly went from iphone to samsung s3 when i was moving to emobile as the samsung was 139, Never looked back didnt realise how limited i was and i was an apple fanboy.

I can see why people are so stuck on apple and afraid to move after being one, i was saying the exact same stuff half a year ago, thank god my girlfriend made me see sense :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Wibbs wrote: »
    Really http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80875332&postcount=271 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80870543&postcount=262 that's just from the last page of the other apple/samsung thread. That's a very common reason people give regarding their dismissal of itunes/apple way of doing things. They just want to drag and drop media. Now that's cool and the gang, however looking at the level of piracy in media these days one would tend to suspect many people's motives for dragging and dropping.

I like my drag and drop for the reason in the name.

I have many digital copies of films, that come with the Bluray triple packs that I like to be able to move around. Same goes with all of my music, that I have bought. Be they ripped directly from the CD, or downloaded directly from musican/band sites etc.
    The fact that I can hook my android phone to my PC/TV/PS3 etc and just move files around is great.

Couple that with a replacable battery (which I have done), generic data/charging connections that allow me to easily use car radio usb port or 3.5mm jacks and I have to say that I prefer Samsung's Galaxy over the iPhone.

PS I have never pirated music btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Samsung s2 for me. Expandable memory, added 16gb micro sd card. Can download movies and music no problem and easily take the movies and music from the phone by simply plugging into ps3. Bigger screen than iphone, better camera.
    Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Firefox11 wrote: »
    If Apple really had its way there would be absolutely no competition, only them and there walled garden OS. They would sue everyone else out of existence and have all there products banned.
    I think if any big company had their way they would do the same if they could! Except for the walled garden bit.
    recyclops wrote: »
    Very reluctantly went from iphone to samsung s3 when i was moving to emobile as the samsung was 139, Never looked back didnt realise how limited i was and i was an apple fanboy.

I can see why people are so stuck on apple and afraid to move after being one, i was saying the exact same stuff half a year ago, thank god my girlfriend made me see sense :o
    TBH, I know more people that want (or already have) to move away from the iphone because their friends have an android and they see how easy it is to do stuff on it.
    I know how you get used to something and stick to it, remember everyone had a nokia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The whole walled garden thing is partly true, partly propaganda. The xBox is walked. The blackberry is walled. Symbian was walled - mostly.

Windows 8 is running an app store too, for the tablet it's walled, for the desktop partly walled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Feck both of them! Sony Xperia S ftw =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Had an iTouch years ago, but hadn't used it for a while and then got a HTC about 2 years ago. Recently had a go of my sister's iPhone, and my lord is it ****. Just looking at it, it doesn't appear to do anything. It's so bland and rigid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Android for me but only in its pure google form, Samsung's touch wiz and HTC sense or any other manufacturers overlay can bog off! it's just annoying system resource draining bloatware.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think if any big company had their way they would do the same if they could! Except for the walled garden bit.

TBH, I know more people that want (or already have) to move away from the iphone because their friends have an android and they see how easy it is to do stuff on it.
    I know how you get used to something and stick to it, remember everyone had a nokia?

There are probably as many people coming back. The iPhones real issue is price. That's why Android stole a march. That happened less on the tablet market - not until the Fire and Nexus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that is a load of arse
    Really http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80875332&postcount=271 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80870543&postcount=262 that's just from the last page of the other apple/samsung thread. That's a very common reason people give regarding their dismissal of itunes/apple way of doing things. They just want to drag and drop media. Now that's cool and the gang, however looking at the level of piracy in media these days one would tend to suspect many people's motives for dragging and dropping.

From a content providers POV the apple itunes store model is a much better bet, hence so many have signed up to it. This goes for app programmers too. The iphone/ipad environment is one of, if not the most software piracy free IT zones there is. Apple's strategy out of the gate suggesting lower priced apps most certainly helped, but the controlled environment made a big difference on that score. Dont get me wrong, I have more than a few issues with how apple sometimes implements this environment, but it definitely worked and helped content providers, big and small actually get a return on their efforts if they wished to charge for same.
    sham69 wrote:
    Was apple all the way until I saw the specs of the 5...
    I agree. Very uninspiring. Now I see why they go for incremental changes. It makes sense, both from their standpoint and the app writers and users standpoint. Keeping the general stuff consistent means you don't run into the possible problems of running the same app across 5 or 6 different screen sizes/chip speeds etc, but they could have certainly beefed up the specs without losing that. They could have made more brave stylistic choices too.
    I'm not sure I see why that would be a problem. I have torrented content on my iPod withoujt any problems. The only advantage a android has to me as a pirate is that I can torrent from the phone and download hosted files directly. Which I do rarely enough so not really a factor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The whole walled garden thing is partly true, partly propaganda. The xBox is walked. The blackberry is walled. Symbian was walled - mostly.

Windows 8 is running an app store too, for the tablet it's walled, for the desktop partly walled.

And the Playstation isn't? Functionality for multiple os's was removed pretty sharpish there a few years back.

And the Playstation isn't? Functionality for multiple os's was removed pretty sharpish there a few years back.

It wasn't a comprehensive list. Just pointed out that the walled garden is not unique to Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dulpit wrote: »
    My last 2 phones have been HTCs, and I would consider them again for my next phone.
    I have a HTC windows phone at the moment and I can't fault it. I've dropped it many times, the case is dented the screen is cracked but it still works perfectly, despite all that I'm looking forward to the prospect of my next phone being a Nokia windows 8 phone. I think Nokia make good hardware, that coupled with windows makes me think they'll be excellent phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have a HTC windows phone at the moment and I can't fault it. I've dropped it many times, the case is dented the screen is cracked but it still works perfectly, despite all that I'm looking forward to the prospect of my next phone being a Nokia windows 8 phone. I think Nokia make good hardware, that coupled with windows makes me think they'll be excellent phones.

Have you seen the new HTC 8x? Looks pretty swish...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have the iPhone 4, excellent phone, so easy to do things on it and you can do so much with it. I have mine jailbroken which gives me additional features. I use iTunes and find it great, I know how to use it properly and have been using it since I got my first iPod back in 2006, every single piece of music I have is within iTunes and it makes managing it so easy, you can also extract music from another iPhone/iPod using 3rd party software which is no problem either.

Apple products work well and are easy to use, simplified and support app developers.

This week my sister wanted me to add a youtube video as her ringtone to her Samsung Android phone, I ripped the vid into Mp3 and dropped the mp3 into her phones micro-SD card, no way would the phone recognise it, I had to create folders and still no luck, I had tried re-ripping the mp3 several times incase it was encoded wrong still no joy. Eventually I discovered you had to actuallly reboot the phone before it would see any new data added. What an utter total heap of junk, I spent around 25mins wasted when if it was an iPhone I would have dropped the song into iTunes, sync'd and then selected it as a ringtone in around 35seconds.

Apple is also a premium image and those many of those who own their products are in the higher income bracket, which was especially true of the earlier iPhones, There is a total inherent reverse snobbery against iPhone users by people who are reverse snobs themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Aren't iPhones free these days?

Have you seen the new HTC 8x? Looks pretty swish...
    Looks good but I'll be restricted to whatever Vodafone offer on their business plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Aren't iPhones free these days?
    I was looking on the O2 site earlier and the 4S 16gb is free now on most plans.

• Advertisement

I know plenty going the other way, even one or two people with the s3 or HTC one x who are moving back to iPhone.
    tolosenc wrote: »
    Had an iTouch years ago, but hadn't used it for a while and then got a HTC about 2 years ago. Recently had a go of my sister's iPhone, and my lord is it ****. Just looking at it, it doesn't appear to do anything. It's so bland and rigid.

I found the exact opposite, used a HTC for a week while I was between iPhones, and my lord was it ****e. Touch screen was awful, key board was awful and android was just a mess compared to the slickness and simplicity of ios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have an iPhone and a Nexus 7. I'm like Italy in World War 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

smash wrote:
    I was looking on the O2 site earlier and the 4S 16gb is free now on most plans.

Thought so. That's why "Apple is also a premium image and many who use their products are in the higher income bracket" bugged me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I found the exact opposite, used a HTC for a week while I was between iPhones, and my lord was it ****e. Touch screen was awful, key board was awful and android was just a mess compared to the slickness and simplicity of ios.

"a HTC".

Which one? There are many, some are comparable to the iPhone (Sensation, One X), some are most definitely not (Wildfire)

Thought so. That's why "Apple is also a premium image and many who use their products are in the higher income bracket" bugged me.

Its only free on there top plan on a 24 month contract as far as I can see. I much prefer the lower monthly plan and pay a bit for the phone tbh.

"a HTC".

Which one? There are many, some are comparable to the iPhone (Sensation, One X), some are most definitely not (Wildfire)

HTC desire, which I might add is a phone a lot of people were raving about at the time saying it was better than the iphone. I'm comparing it to my olds 3gs by the way never mind the 4s I currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have an iPhone because the iPhone 3G when it came out was a country mile ahead of the competition. The next best phone at the time was the Samsung Omnia, which was utter crap compared to the iPhone and was priced dearer. Plus I had a Tocco, which was such an awful POS that it put me off Samsung completely at the time.

When the iPhone 4 was released, the main competitor was the Galaxy S. An ugly hunk of a phone, a little faster and more polished than its predecessor, but overall it was still behind my 3G as far as I could tell. At that time, the Android interface reminded me a lot of the KDE GUI that used to come on Linux - it looked nice and kind of worked in a familiar way, but it was clunky and slow as hell, and nowhere near as polished as the competitors.
    So iPhone 4 it was, still way ahead of the competition.

I have no idea what'll be next, I'll check out what the main phones are like to use. I'm not a fanboy in any direction, I just want the stuff which works best. Which until now at least has been Apple phones.

seamus wrote: »
    The next best phone at the time was the Samsung Omnia, which was utter crap compared to the iPhone and was priced dearer.
    I had the Omnia when it was running windows 6, it was hands down the worst phone ever made. I still get angry just thinking about how awful that phone was, it made my life a living hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bought a Galaxy S when they were first released, after an absolutely torrid time with it I got the Iphone 4s (as it was free).

Honestly i dont care who wins what as long as my phone does what its supposed to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Vicxas wrote: »
    ...Honestly i dont care who wins what as long as my phone does what its supposed to do.

Thats just it.
    I buy what I think is a reasonable price for a phone.
    I'm not paying mad, daft money for any phone - don't care who made it.
    If the phone allowes me to ring in for my drug habit or order a threesome of hookers - happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

smash wrote: »
    I like this line, but apart from not having to use iTunes and no external memory what exactly can you do?

Being able to download torrents directly to my phone is a HUGE benefit to me.

Job involves being away for extended periods of time but in the couple of hours that I would have phone reception I can download all my torrents so I do miss anything from my favourite shows.

Otherwise I would be waiting 3 to 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

smash wrote: »
    I like this line, but apart from not having to use iTunes and no external memory what exactly can you do?

I still use an old charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Being able to download torrents directly to my phone is a HUGE benefit to me.

Job involves being away for extended periods of time but in the couple of hours that I would have phone reception I can download all my torrents so I do miss anything from my favourite shows.

Otherwise I would be waiting 3 to 4 weeks.
    I find the torrent thing handy too. Not having to install anything onto your pc/laptop to use the phone is a big plus for me, and not having to jailbreak your phone too.
    When I changed from my htc desire to samsung gs2 I just took the sd card out, popped it into the GS2 and all my music videos and photos were now on my new phone. Took 10 seconds. I decide I need more memory, I can just upgrade my card. That's another big plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

When I changed from my htc desire to samsung gs2 I just took the sd card out, popped it into the GS2 and all my music videos and photos were now on my new phone. Took 10 seconds. I decide I need more memory, I can just upgrade my card. That's another big plus.

Bingo, spot on. Its so easy for adding your contacts too with the whole Google thing.

I think the title of the thread doesn't best represent the discussion. The iPhone is a very capable phone but its limited by its operating system with regards to connectivity.

Perhaps iOS vs Android would be more apt thread title as the main differences between the two brands (Apple/Samsung) is the platform they work off.

On a side note I much prefer the look and feel of an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Itunes drives me around the twist so its Samsung all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

I'm not a fan of Apple's phone software. I'm not spending €600+ on a device that effectively I don't have an administrator account on.

The iPhones 3 series was cool looking, the 4 series was fugly IMO, very well designed and built but I don't like the look. Ditto the iPhone 5.
    Still loads of white\black space on the front that isn't screen.

I think the Macbooks are stunning pieces of hardware. I don't own one and haven't used the Mac OS so can't comment.

I have an iPod classic and love it. Waited for the 6th generation before buying though, each before that had niggling problems.

I quite like iTunes for music management, the smart playlists are cool if your MP3 tags are set up right (e.g. "all sings < 3 minutes which I have rated as 3 or 5 star", "all 5 star songs from the 90s", "the opening track of every album I own" very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Stinicker wrote: »

Apple is also a premium image and those many of those who own their products are in the higher income bracket, which was especially true of the earlier iPhones, There is a total inherent reverse snobbery against iPhone users by people who are reverse snobs themselves.

I do not believe this, I believe people get the iPhone because they THINK it makes them appear affluent.

I work in the financial centre of London, surrounded by well paid people (not saying I'm well paid, I'm not comparatively) and nobody is paying for the iPhone 5 out of savings.

If they buy it outright it's on the credit card, or they are effectively paying £1200+ for it over a 24 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

anyone mention Sony yet?

Neither of these phones have a querty, just some stupid touch screen keyboard yoke. Touchscreen and keyboard FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

I had to laugh at this!

It doesn't seem a major issue but apples reply gave me a good chuckle!

http://m.gizmodo.com/5947972/apple-acknowledges-iphone-5-camera-problem-says-youre-holding-it-wrong

My brother who owns an iPhone everything he holds I'm telling him he's holding it wrong. Driving him crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Read the comments section! Apple are still being defended. I have lost hope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I have an Ipod Classic and really like it. Also have a 2.5 year old Samsung phone which is great. Despite this the samsung software is a load of crap, has never once worked. I generally find Apple products very overpriced for what you get, especially Macbooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

summerskin wrote: »
    Yeeees Biggins. As i said, I'm aware that the Galaxy S3 has higher specs, but I much prefer the iPhone. I have the 4s and an iPad3, also have a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy Tab, which are both now attracting dust on my bedside table.

Can i have them ?
    Biggins wrote: »
    I personally avoid Apple not because I hate their phones (I don't - they DO make good phones).
    I avoid Apple because I'm unhappy about the methods in which they operate world-wide, their condescending attitude towards competition and customers.
    I avoid Apple because I'm unhappy about the way they make user rights restricted when possible at every turn, be this by DRM or by using a socket that forces others to only avail of their pricey (another issue) more limited range - or sometimes no sockets/port at all to allow direct access to put stuff on independently.

I'm in the same boat as Biggins. Apple IMO are a horrible company who are tearing apart all attempts at innovation by other companies. Im guessing its because these other companies are putting out the best phones they can, while Apple want to hold back on as many features as possible and add them in slowly to sell more phones. (but that's just speculation, but seeing their new phones it looks likely)

I used to have an iPhone (thankfully I didn't pay for it) and never liked it. Bought a desire 2 years ago and love it.

Advertisement