Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Owners

• 21-09-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has a cure for a dog who gets car sick. I've tried not feeding him for several hours before but he still gets sick. He is a great dog. Came from an aminal sanctury so would not be used to cars, so we are only doing short trips with him at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 threepennys

A couple of obvious things would be to make sure he can see out of the window, and leave a window open a little so that he's getting some fresh air.
    You can get travel sickness tablets from the vet, which are based on the same ones you give to humans. If you prefer natural remedies, then you could try ginger, maybe in the form of a couple of ginger biscuits.

Good on you for getting a rescue dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

We had same problem with our dog.

Is the dog lying on a seat or standing up ? If standing up and not being held on someone's lap, the dog can be thrown around much more than you might think.

If possible, try holding the dog so that it can see out. Similar to people, this can help overcome motion sickness. After a while the dog should become more used to the motion in the car and should relax more over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fk34

Hi
    Thanks for reply. He is a big dog and he sits or lies in the boot. He doesnt really move in the car but I think he is quite nervous of getting in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fk34

Great thanks for reply. Will try the ginger biscuits and if that doesnt ring mite get the travel tablets. Would really like to be able to get him to a dog park hence the reason for trying to sort out the travel sickness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Moved to Animal and Pet Issues

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sorry OP, but it may never resolve itself :( I have a dog that will be 2 next week, he has travelled in the van since he was 6 weeks old and went to the vets for his parvo vacc. He has since travelled all over the country and over to the UK a few times. He goes to agility each Saturday, which is an hour each way. I have tried him on the front seat, in the back in a wire crate, in a crate with solid sides but he still starts dribbling every time he travels anywhere and gets sick. I have fed him before we go, I have starved him before we go, I have fed him in the crate without us travelling anywhere, to try and get him to like it, but nothing has worked. He does settle eventually, and goes off to sleep and I don't let it stop us going places.

I tried the ginger nut, and would suggest you do, as it does work with some dogs. Another natural suggestion is a sprig of rosemary in the car. Hopefully my Bear is just a one off, and your lad will get used to it, and come to love the drives if he knows he is going somewhere good.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We use a thing called Traveleze for our guy who gets terrible car sickness and nothing else seems to work. Costs about 5 euro for a pack of 30. It says on the pack to give him them half an hour before travelling, we usually give him them 45 minutes before to make sure they have time to work. We also take him on a long walk before taking him in the car as we find he is much more relaxed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We use two things depending on the journey and the dog. We use Cocculus (a homoeopathic type thing) that calms them down which is good for ours who are just nervous and drool for the entire journey. Sea Legs which is quite hard to find but we find it a miracle worker, its the only thing we found that seems to completely cure travel sickness but doesn't make the dog drowsy. We go on the ferry quite often so need it for then but I'd say it would work on regular travel.

Advertisement