Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Netgear WNDR4700 (router with internal HDD)

Options
  • 21-09-2012 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to upgrade my trusty Linksys wrt54g home router, and like the look of the new NetGear WNDR4700 router.

The main thing I like is that you can stick a hard disk into it and there's also 2 USB 3.0 ports, so it's a router & NAS combined.

It's only just about to be released and just appeared for pre-order on the product page in one American on-line store. ( $229 without the HDD )

Any strong opinions for or against Netgear as a home router brand ?

NetGear Product Link

Last time I checked, some people were giving out about buggy firmware, slow update fixes etc.

Anyone happy/unhappy with existing older NetGear routers?
    Or use them in a business environment and happy with reliability?

regards,
    CD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That's crazy money, See this Mikrotik for way less.

Big thread about configuring it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Thanks for the reply, but I specifically like the embedded 3.5" SATA hard disk.

The Mikrotik sounds like a nice hackable piece of kit, but I like the NAS/Router combo of the Netgear 4700.

I think I'll just have to take a chance and become an early adopter of it.

Advertisement