Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grenade thrown on pitch

• 21-09-2012 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

I've looked and can't see this posted already. Apologies if it is.

Player very lucky not to lose a hand

Match per YouTube was the AFC Champions League game between Iranian side Sepahan and Saudi Arabia's Al-Ahli

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wow:eek:

What game was it? or League?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dont think it was Grenade. If it was refs and players would have been injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dont think its a grenade, smoke bomb maybe?

Still though, hes very lucky he didnt get seriously hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No. 40 was quite lucky there, he took a while to chuck whatever it was away, if he had to have been a second longer we would be saying goodbye to his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

As soon as I heard Iranian football, I thought Eamon Zayed, forgot about him but apparentely he's called mr hattrick over there now after 3 hattricks in a few games last season.

Bombs are bad also btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's definitely a smoke bomb, but either way I wouldn't want to be holding it when it goes off!

Number 4 for Sepahan doesn't even flinch. Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Does a smoke bomb usually explode in flames?

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Does a smoke bomb usually explode in flames?

Smoke tends to follow flames, there's a phrase to do with the phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Here, they take the top off bottles of coke.
    There, they allow you bring explodey things into the ground.
    On the balance of things I pick having flat coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

Candidate for the whitest thread alive methinks :pac:. Definitely NOT a smoke bomb. It was a grenade, or a small IED. Could have killed someone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

That's definitely not a grenade. Yer man is still lucky it didn't go off in his hand though or he would have been a shoe in for a Darwin Award

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Here, they take the top off bottles of coke.
    There, they allow you bring explodey things into the ground.
    On the balance of things I pick having flat coke.

I doubt very much its allowed but look at the size of the thing, easy to conceal. Security might not be as good over there. They don't have the same money pumped into the leagues as in the UK and Europe so may not have enough security personnel or CCTV.

Ugh. Flat Coke :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Smoke tends to follow flames, there's a phrase to do with the phenomenon.

IMO that is more than a smoke bomb, its some sort of explosive just not as powerful as a grenade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It looks like a child's bottle.
    Obviously a fair number of softies playing over there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There would be a crater in the ground and the players would be all laid out if it was a grenade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Is it just me or does the slowed down explosion of flames look fake?

I think it could just have been a 'normal' smoke bomb that exploded but the flames were added for addtional effect.

Also, it looks like the flames come (coming up from the ground) before the grenade hits the ground.

This is coming from my years of experience in bomb squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Could those expressing an opinion on the nature of the device just confirm whether their armaments experience extends beyond call of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

There would be a crater in the ground and the players would be all laid out if it was a grenade

If it were Hollywood, maybe.
    uberwolf wrote: »
    Could those expressing an opinion on the nature of the device just confirm whether their armaments experience extends beyond call of duty.

Agreed. While I'm hardly an arms expert myself (never even played CoD :D), here's an M67 - a frag grenade - exploding. That's a military grenade. And that's what it looks like blowing up.

My guess is it was some homemade explosive (ie a grenade) that some idiot fan brought along to make a big bang with. And it could easily have killed somebody. Anyone who says this was a smoke 'bomb' which aren't designed to explode in that way, and release a hell of a lot more smoke, is way wrong.

Anyway, why am I here? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

uberwolf wrote: »

Battlefield vet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Its what you call a practice grenade. I asked my cousin hes just retired from the US EOD in the Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Hazys wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the slowed down explosion of flames look fake?

I think it could just have been a 'normal' smoke bomb that exploded but the flames were added for addtional effect.

Also, it looks like the flames come (coming up from the ground) before the grenade hits the ground.

This is coming from my years of experience in bomb squads.

It does look edited.

This is the actual footage:

Looks to me like it's a home made smoke bomb or firecracker, you see these explode all the time in South America, Italy, Greece,...

Advertisement