Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50 % Tax on SEC Payment

• 21-09-2012 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

So, the final payment arrived this morning from the SEC (LC Higher Level English Assistant Examiner), not complaining, just taken aback by the fact that almost exactly 50% of the gross has gone to the government.

7 days a week. 12 hours a day. 1 month of back-breaking and brain-curdling labour.

Of course, I think the work itself keeps my classroom practice in relation to the syllabus sharp but if I ever did it for the money in the past that won't be part of the reckoning from now on.

I hope Mr Noonan spends his cut well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

only 50%, lucky you.
    I find more than that goes on my s&s between tax, prsi, pension. But thats every worker, everywhere unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Actually, some of the deduction was for the Pension-Related Deduction - happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

born2bwild wrote: »
    So, the final payment arrived this morning from the SEC (LC Higher Level English Assistant Examiner), not complaining, just taken aback by the fact that almost exactly 50% of the gross has gone to the government.

7 days a week. 12 hours a day. 1 month of back-breaking and brain-curdling labour.

Of course, I think the work itself keeps my classroom practice in relation to the syllabus sharp but if I ever did it for the money in the past that won't be part of the reckoning from now on.

Not trying to be smart here, but the chances are if you are on full hours that correcting exams will put you into the higher tax bracket. Add pension levy to that and other random deductions (PRSI etc) and you are at 50%. Why is this a surprise?

Things haven't changed radically since last summer. At the moment you should be thankful you are correcting Higher Level. All the Ordinary Level conferences were started later in the morning on the first day this year so they couldn't claim an overnight for the first day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you don't mind me asking how much did you get? I corrected JCFL Maths. Won't clear 900 euro. Probably won't do it next year.

Not trying to be smart here, but the chances are if you are on full hours that correcting exams will put you into the higher tax bracket. Add pension levy to that and other random deductions (PRSI etc) and you are at 50%. Why is this a surprise?

Things haven't changed radically since last summer. At the moment you should be thankful you are correcting Higher Level. All the Ordinary Level conferences were started later in the morning on the first day this year so they couldn't claim an overnight for the first day.

The higher level conference started later, too, as far as I remember. Should I still be thankful? Why don't you keep your opinions regarding how thankful I should be to yourself?

Believe me, I am very thankful that I have an income.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The higher level conference started later, too, as far as I remember. Should I still be thankful? Why don't you keep your opinions regarding how thankful I should be to yourself?

The unnecessary agression forum is thatta way.
    >

How much does one get for marking these days? Might through my hat in the ring for next year. But Mostly for the insider info on how these things work rather than on the mulah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

rainbowtrout
    I correct hons LC in my subject and can testify that we had our overnight allowance cut as well :(

Dory
    I don't know of ANYBODY that is marking for the money these days - its mostly for the cv and experience ... and personally I know in my subject area, a lot of people have left in the last few years cos its just not worth their while doing it anymore and they have all the experience they want so it may be easier to get into now :)

dory wrote: »
    The unnecessary agression forum is thatta way.
    >

How much does one get for marking these days? Might through my hat in the ring for next year. But Mostly for the insider info on how these things work rather than on the mulah.
    Apologies if I seem aggressive - but if I wanted to hear someone tell a member of the teaching profession that he's ungrateful I'd buy the Daily Mail or listen to George Hook.

You should throw your hat into the SEC ring ('wringer' may be more appropriate considering the toll it takes on your body and mind) - the money in question is not worth the effort but it does give you a really thorough knowledge of the mechanics of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Im not sure but I don't think Michael Noonan actually gets to keep the taxes collected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I transferred some SRCOP (4k) & tax credits (400t to SEC do I should see a lot of it.

I did 360 OL Bio papers at €9.72 a go plus the admin & conference fees.

Gross, that'd work out at near 4k plus some expenses.

Looking forward to g tting the payment now.

• Advertisement

bdoo wrote: »
    Im not sure but I don't think Michael Noonan actually gets to keep the taxes collected.

I reckon he smears himself in Foie Gras, bathes in Vintage Krug and wipes his arse with 200 euro notes.

I transferred some SRCOP (4k) & tax credits (400t to SEC do I should see a lot of it.

Good news at least is that it's earlier this year than the last few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

With all of the people saying it's not worth the money, it's no wonder people are critical of teachers. Obviously I can't speak for all subjects but I expect to net over €1500 for my three weeks of work like I did for the last few years. €1500 on top of my regular salary for doing something that isn't exactly rocket science (when you know your subject well anyway) is nothing to be sneered at and it would be more if I wasn't already into the top tax bracket (obviously enough).

I'm not saying that it's not hard work and I have (in my opinion anyway) one of the easier subjects to mark but there are an awful lot of well qualified people out there who'd be quite happy to work harder for less money, without us complaining about something we should be expecting anyway. It's not as though they've changed the rate per paper or the tax brackets since you marked them OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

Sorry to sound stupid but how do you go about transferring your SRCOP & tax credits?

rainbowtrout
    I correct hons LC in my subject and can testify that we had our overnight allowance cut as well :(

Dory
    I don't know of ANYBODY that is marking for the money these days - its mostly for the cv and experience ... and personally I know in my subject area, a lot of people have left in the last few years cos its just not worth their while doing it anymore and they have all the experience they want so it may be easier to get into now :)

Not all of the HL conferences were changed. Some still had the earlier start which meant 2 overnights could be claimed. It remains to be seen if they will cut them all next year. I know they are trying to save money, but cutting back on conference time is probably not the way to go. New examiners can get bamboozled with all the paperwork.

Apologies if I seem aggressive - but if I wanted to hear someone tell a member of the teaching profession that he's ungrateful I'd buy the Daily Mail or listen to George Hook.

You should throw your hat into the SEC ring ('wringer' may be more appropriate considering the toll it takes on your body and mind) - the money in question is not worth the effort but it does give you a really thorough knowledge of the mechanics of the system.

I didn't say you were ungrateful.

It's simple maths. You earn money, you pay tax on it. Anyone that was lucky enough to correct at HL this year that had the early start would have expenses other examiners didn't have and would end up with a bit more money as that money is not taxable. But taxing corrections hasn't changed so don't know why people are griping about paying tax.

Expenses have been cut and pension levy introduced 2 years ago hasn't helped and this is where people are seeing a reduction in the amount they come out with in Sept/Oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sorry to sound stupid but how do you go about transferring your SRCOP & tax credits?

Ring your local revenue office.
    Tell them how you want them split.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭khan86

I'm not doing it just for the CV and experience...I need the money regardless of how pitiful it looks after tax. It's still better than the dole when you don't get paid for the summer!!

Not all of the HL conferences were changed. Some still had the earlier start which meant 2 overnights could be claimed. It remains to be seen if they will cut them all next year. I know they are trying to save money, but cutting back on conference time is probably not the way to go. New examiners can get bamboozled with all the paperwork.

It's simple maths. You earn money, you pay tax on it. Anyone that was lucky enough to correct at HL this year that had the early start would have expenses other examiners didn't have and would end up with a bit more money as that money is not taxable. But taxing corrections hasn't changed so don't know why people are griping about paying tax.

Expenses have been cut and pension levy introduced 2 years ago hasn't helped and this is where people are seeing a reduction in the amount they come out with in Sept/Oct.

You said that I 'should be thankful' that I'm correcting HL. Surely, the absence of thanks when it 'should' be given is ingratitude? Who should I thank that I'm marking HL papers? I'll thank myself for that because I work my hole off every June and July.

I'm not 'griping about paying tax' - I'll gladly pay tax if I think it's going to pay for stuff that will improve our society.

I pay lots of tax - car, VAT, Paye, household charge, Health Levy, insurance levy and so on...I've no problem paying tax per se; the issue I have is what is done with the money once it's taken from me.

Five years ago if you'd asked me to pay 50 cent tax on every euro I earned I would have agreed no question - on the condition that it would be used to fund hospitals, childcare, public transport etc.

Now, I feel no joy at paying tax because I don't believe it's being used primarily to improve social services - it's being used to pay off astronomical debts incurred by the political, business and banking elites in this state .

Should I be grateful for this?

I will not apologise for working very hard and expecting to be very well paid.

Seriously, who should I be thankful to for being a teacher and examiner in a society where teaching is being degraded and humiliated by the government, media and even some within the profession?

Who do I thank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Well if this is supposed to be a thread for ranting about the government's use of our taxes, I'm not sure you've posted it in the right forum.

You said that I 'should be thankful' that I'm correcting HL. Surely, the absence of thanks when it 'should' be given is ingratitude? Who should I thank that I'm marking HL papers? I'll thank myself for that because I work my hole off every June and July.

I'm not 'griping about paying tax' - I'll gladly pay tax if I think it's going to pay for stuff that will improve our society.

I pay lots of tax - car, VAT, Paye, household charge, Health Levy, insurance levy and so on...I've no problem paying tax per se; the issue I have is what is done with the money once it's taken from me.

Five years ago if you'd asked me to pay 50 cent tax on every euro I earned I would have agreed no question - on the condition that it would be used to fund hospitals, childcare, public transport etc.

Now, I feel no joy at paying tax because I don't believe it's being used primarily to improve social services - it's being used to pay off astronomical debts incurred by the political, business and banking elites in this state .

Seriously, who should I be thankful to for being a teacher and examiner in a society where teaching is being degraded and humiliated by the government, media and even some within the profession?

Who do I thank?

Where were you for the last 3 - 4 years if you are only noticing the massive amount of deductions now?

Forget transferring credits if you pay tax at the high rate in your teaching job you will just pay more tax in school. If you don't you can apply for a review from they paye section of revenue when you get your p60 and statement of income from the SEC.

I won't tell you to be thankful, I will say enjoy the travel and subsistence allowances as they will be savaged again before next year imo. Examining is optional also.

Finally every job requires people to pay tax. The degradation of teachers is a different issue and has nothing to do with the title of your first post.

Seems like you're looking for a row

• Advertisement

Who do I thank?

You were paying pretty much the same amount of tax 5 years ago. It's the cut in expenses that has made the difference to the amount examiners are getting.

Your rant appears to be about where our taxes are going. That's not a topic for the education forum in my opinion.

And you are still more or less getting the same rate per paper as previous. Rates haven't changed drastically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

What's the point of this thread?

Is it it a thinly veiled 'I make enough money to pay the high rate of income tax' thread?

You were paying pretty much the same amount of tax 5 years ago. It's the cut in expenses that has made the difference to the amount examiners are getting.

Your rant appears to be about where our taxes are going. That's not a topic for the education forum in my opinion.

And you are still more or less getting the same rate per paper as previous. Rates haven't changed drastically.
    Rates have changed.

Levies have been introduced.

What's really exercising me these days is how we are being scapegoated and targeted as an ungrateful, overpaid profession.

This reflex serves to hide the real problem: namely that the state we serve is suffering a crisis of legitimacy precisely because of its failures in financial management and capital - prioritising fiscal policy.

If you weren't so busy being grateful you'd be exercised by this, too.

Instead your message to me seems to be: be thankful you've got a job, stop whinging, it's not your place to ask questions about what is being done with your tax, teachers shouldn't ask questions about what's done with their tax in the teachers' forum.

Ranting? I'm standing up for my profession and asking responsible questions as a citizen of this republic.

If that's ingratitude then fine; I'd rather be an ingrate than a patsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

I know this is off topic but when do they usually recruit for exam correctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Advertised on examinations.ie around October/November, deadline for applying normally early December

How does one apply to be invigilator? Is that the same recruitment process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Do you need to be a teacher to get these gigs?

juan.kerr wrote: »

Strangely enough no. I know someone who corrected for years and wasn't a teacher, but had a degree in the subject. I'd say they're after getting stricter now though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The forms for Superintendent are usually up the same time.

• Advertisement

Much the same although I think the form has to be signed by a principal

juan.kerr wrote: »

Strangely enough no. I know someone who corrected for years and wasn't a teacher, but had a degree in the subject. I'd say they're after getting stricter now though.

I don't find it strange. Anyone with a degree in a subject has as much qualification as a teacher with the same degree.

It's right or its wrong a non teacher will not be up to speed on the teaching of a topic but the answers to a question do not rely on this.

The marking scheme is the bible and determines where the marks go. Im a construction teacher, I wouldn't find it strange to have a structural engineer or architect correcting construction exams.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. I think an outside perspective is a good thing if it exists and I'm not sure that it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Well considering a teacher only works 22 hours per week in the school year,we in the private sector get hammered on tax for any overtime we put in and often have no choice but to do this overtime to meet deadlines.
    It's disheartening to see it just zapped away,I'm not knocking your profession but you have 8 weeks paid leave to relax after this work plus countless other holidays during the year.
    It's the nature of the job,I know a couple of teachers my own age that did it for a few years but couldn't be arsed see the tax man take the chunk of change,they make better money tipping away with the grinds each week as it's cash money and on there terms.

Sappa wrote: »

Well considering a teacher only works 22 hours per week in the school year,we in the private sector get hammered on tax for any overtime we put in and often have no choice but to do this overtime to meet deadlines.
    It's disheartening to see it just zapped away,I'm not knocking your profession but you have 8 weeks paid leave to relax after this work plus countless other holidays during the year.
    It's the nature of the job,I know a couple of teachers my own age that did it for a few years but couldn't be arsed see the tax man take the chunk of change,they make better money tipping away with the grinds each week as it's cash money and on there terms.

What's the public private argument about? Surely high rate of tax means you pay more tax regardless of sector.

Why does everything have to come down to how difficult life in the private sector is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

bdoo wrote: »
    Sappa wrote: »

What's the public private argument about? Surely high rate of tax means you pay more tax regardless of sector.

Why does everything have to come down to how difficult life in the private sector is?
    Possibly because the private sector isn't sheltered with the silver clouds that the public sector enjoy.
    Life in the private sector means your a lot more accountable,you don't have the fat pension or the holidays and it's the uncertainty of possibly your job ceasing each year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK, the trolls are in.
    Thread closed.

Please read the charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement