Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competition: Variations on a theme 10 (Zappa)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

I have the grand sum of one sentence written. Go me.

Anyone using their lyrics as a jumping-off point? Or are you all just working with the song title alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Archillles. If its okay with the authority I'll swap with you. Mine is as boring as a nuns knickers drawer. ;)

Arlecchina wrote: »
    I have the grand sum of one sentence written. Go me.

Anyone using their lyrics as a jumping-off point? Or are you all just working with the song title alone?

Not looking at mine til wednesday+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If anyone pulls out prematurely in the next few days, can I have a go? 25 is plenty, too many to read otherwise, but I need some distraction at the moment.

Thanks! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Archillles. If its okay with the authority I'll swap with you. Mine is as boring as a nuns knickers drawer. ;)

Do you want a different one? No swapsies though, it will be drawn at random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Do you want a different one? No swapsies though, it will be drawn at random.

Cheers Mr Picka. Would love a new one. Thanks a mill

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Blush_01 wrote: »
    If anyone pulls out prematurely in the next few days, can I have a go? 25 is plenty, too many to read otherwise, but I need some distraction at the moment.

Thanks! :)

Blush, you can take my place. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it this time around. I've got a lot coming up in the next few weeks and my head's all over the place.

@pika, let me know if you want me to send my prompt to Blush or if you're going to send her a new one.

DK

I'll make the change myself so I have a track of the PMs in my outbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Wait,k when is the deadline again? :eek:

• Advertisement

The competition will close at 23.59:59 on the 14th of October 2012.

DK: :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bluewolf wrote: »
    DK: :(

Sorry, dude. My head's on one track and I'd only be forcing any prompt onto it. :(

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Sorry, dude. My head's on one track and I'd only be forcing any prompt onto it. :(

Ah no I understand and all, just a shame! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Okay, I'm going to give this a go even though the closing date is pretty much around the corner. I haven't written anything in a long, long time but I'll see what I can hammer out on adrenaline. It's gonna be rusty, but I'm in!

Upon reading back through the thread, if there's too many people signed up, it's okay! I'll just go in for the next round, whenever that may be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Okay, I'm going to give this a go even though the closing date is pretty much around the corner. I haven't written anything in a long, long time but I'll see what I can hammer out on adrenaline. It's gonna be rusty, but I'm in!

Upon reading back through the thread, if there's too many people signed up, it's okay! I'll just go in for the next round, whenever that may be!

I don't know if I'll have time to do mine, just been too busy. I'll let you know tomorrow if you can have my spot

i have enough ideas for a book of short stories at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

This is the first comp I have entered, can I jump ahead and ask a novice question?

(Actually, I know I can ask, just not sure if you will answer :pac: )

The question is:

When it comes to the voting, are you meant to vote on your own story, or are you meant to ignore your own story?

The voting is private until the results are in, at which stage it will be revealed if you voted for yourself. If you believe your story is the best, you should vote for it. As for feedback, if you are giving comments on all the other stories you should probably add something about your own just so it's not obvious by its omission which one is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Rubecula wrote: »

When it comes to the voting, are you meant to vote on your own story, or are you meant to ignore your own story?

10 VOATs, and only now do I realise I could've voted for my own...

10 VOATs, and only now do I realise I could've voted for my own...

That coveted 8th place could've been yours that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Lol, if I get no votes, I may vote for myself to ease the pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'm going to start writing this tomorrow I swear. I am disappointed with my song though - was hoping to get inspiration form the lyrics, but there are none.... Or at least very few.

It's gonna be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Submitted :)

hcass wrote: »
    I'm going to start writing this tomorrow I swear. I am disappointed with my song though - was hoping to get inspiration form the lyrics, but there are none.... Or at least very few.

It's gonna be tough.

I am yet to come up with even an idea for mine! The theme is something I've barely ever even thought about in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Rubecula wrote: »
    This is the first comp I have entered, can I jump ahead and ask a novice question?

(Actually, I know I can ask, just not sure if you will answer :pac: )

The question is:

Voting for your own story is pretty tacky. Just wait until the last day and then vote for every story that is more than two votes below yours. Result! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm trying to shape mine up a bit. Is there normally a little leeway for going slightly over the 2000 words? I'm trying to squeeze mine down closer to it at the moment, tis doing my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Was sick these past two weeks, still groggy as hell at times so if you confuse mine with Agent Weebley's pleased don't be surprised.:)

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'm trying to shape mine up a bit. Is there normally a little leeway for going slightly over the 2000 words? I'm trying to squeeze mine down closer to it at the moment, tis doing my head in.

Yeah, about 10%

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm out this time just couldn't get time nor won't before the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm afraid I have to pull out too. The story I'm writing is about half done, but I think the idea I've got deserves not to be rushed. I don't want to submit something terrible and sour it. Sorry!

I'm starting tomorrow...

• Advertisement

I hope I'll be able to get this done. I've recently run into a bit of trouble with college stuff and it's kinda stressing me out, so I haven't really had time to commit to getting an idea down yet. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Done. On time, within budget, and off kilter. Typical me. I hope no-one notices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have about 500 words written. I know where the story needs to go, I just need to figure out how to get there!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Done. On time, within budget, and off kilter. Typical me. I hope no-one notices.
    Have you used up your word quota or something? This post is unusually brief!

Hi Mr E,

I had to make rough notes. I couldn't believe myself. Learned something there. Maybe you should brainstorm some keywords/phrases/snippets onto the page to get you from where you are to the end?

I ended up writing over the keywords/phrases/snippets as they got included into the story. It progressed quite well doing that.

I also watched the word counter, thinking I was going to go over. It ended up being 1400 words, so was able to widen up thin areas and do better bridges between scenes (imho) and still come in under budget.

Oryx wrote: »
    Have you used up your word quota or something? This post is unusually brief!

haha. I'm actually a little nervous as it's the first story I've written since I was a kid.

Mine's a but lame but shure
    bitta revision tomorrow, be grand :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mine's a but lame but shure
    bitta revision tomorrow, be grand :pac:

Shouldn't that be: "butta" revision by tomorrow?

This is a Frank Zappa story . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My health is still god awful, but I plan on starting typing this evening.
    Yes, it quite possibly will be terrible. But, hey, only one way to get better right?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't think I'm going to be able to get this done. Not feeling very well and have been way too stressed and preoccupied with college stuff. Maybe next time. :(

That's a real kicker, Da Shins Kelly.

To you, and all that are under the weather: I hope you get well soon.

Doesn't everyone take Vitamin/Hormone D? I take 5000 IU/day, dropped into a spoonful of cod liver oil, since Vitamin D is fat soluble.

. . . and 1000 mg of Vitamin C, and a multivitamin? I hardly ever get sick. I can't even remember the last time I got a deep cold/flu. I may get a sore throat now and again, but it goes away really fast, because I just OD on C, or is it OC on D, or maybe it's just an OCD . . . never mind 1 2 3 tap tap tap.

Oh . . . Vitamin D promotes cellular communication, so the happy cells club together mentally, and tell the cancer cells to F-off and die.

[stepping down off soapbox and apologising]

That's a real kicker, Da Shins Kelly.

To you, and all that are under the weather: I hope you get well soon.

Doesn't everyone take Vitamin/Hormone D? I take 5000 IU/day, dropped into a spoonful of cod liver oil, since Vitamin D is fat soluble.

. . . and 1000 mg of Vitamin C, and a multivitamin? I hardly ever get sick. I can't even remember the last time I got a deep cold/flu. I may get a sore throat now and again, but it goes away really fast, because I just OD on C, or is it OC on D, or maybe it's just an OCD . . . never mind 1 2 3 tap tap tap.

Oh . . . Vitamin D promotes cellular communication, so the happy cells club together mentally, and tell the cancer cells to F-off and die.

[stepping down off soapbox and apologising]

I think it's stress-related. Been running around like a headless chicken trying to get stuff done, and I think I'm just fatigued and a bit worn out. Feeling quite sinus-y and sore in the head. :(

Stress will do it. I feel sick like that when stressed or after being up for close to 24 hours, which happens regularly with me. But then again, I smoke like a trooper, which doesn't help. Er, you should get a good night's sleep. Look at the time!

I'm still wound up from exams, and head+chest cold. Yuck! Anyway I submitted my story earlier and I'm reasonably happy with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I was planning on finishing mine up today but I'm suffering with a toothache stabbing pain into my brain. I'd rather not post something half-assed so I'm going to pull out too, sorry.

• Advertisement

EMF2010 wrote: »
    I was planning on finishing mine up today but I'm suffering with a toothache stabbing pain into my brain. I'd rather not post something half-assed so I'm going to pull out too, sorry.

The tooth or the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

The tooth or the story?

I suspect both at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

I'm going to have to join the drop-out party and relinquish my VOAT tiara without a fight. Sorry, everyone. I had some unexpected work crop up this weekend and my story is refusing to submit to me in the little time I have left today. Grrr.

Good luck to everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I just submitted. Wrote it today, don't know how it'll go down.

Good luck to everyone!

Eight entries so far, four dropouts, four pending and eight up in the air.

• Advertisement
Advertisement