Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effects of tattooing

Options
  • 21-09-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

So what are the effects of tattooing on the body? Can it or does it compromise your immune system? Also collectors, do you take multivitamins and if so do they help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I've never heard of tattoo's effecting your immune system! where did you hear that?? sounds a bit like rubbish to me! I don't know how that would even be possible! I have 10 tattoos and have never had any ill affects from any of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Wouldn't think you'd have "ill effects" but, the longer sittings can tire you out. That's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

If you're going for large work i.e sleeves/backpiece and having sessions regularily (every 2 weeks) then you can get very run down from it. Healing any wound large or minor has some effects on the body but it all depends on your overall physical health. It is always advisable to give the body a bit of a boost for a few weeks before having a new piercing or tattoo, after all the healthier you are the better and quicker your body can deal with the healing phase. Most people might not notice any difference but at the end of the day taking a multivitamin and eating healthily leading up to the tattoo can't do any harm !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There was a few things I've heard about this type of thing.

One was that there are metals in the pigments of the inks that can have affects on your immune system, but not sure about it.

Also if the needles aren't clean then they transfer disease, but that is an obvious one. Also that the inks can contain diseases if they are re-used etc, heard some horror story of 2 girls contracting HIV from inks last year when they got tattoos, but I'm not sure how true that is at all!

Again though, these are worst case scenarios, if the studio you are going to has a good reputation and uses clean materials then you have nothing to worry about really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gintonious wrote: »
    There was a few things I've heard about this type of thing.

One was that there are metals in the pigments of the inks that can have affects on your immune system, but not sure about it.

Id agree with this.Some Inks are in my opinion not safe for use in the body.The metal based ones I have an issue with.I mean Blue is associated with Cobalt.

Interesting article here :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1280436/

Also if the needles aren't clean then they transfer disease, but that is an obvious one. Also that the inks can contain diseases if they are re-used etc, heard some horror story of 2 girls contracting HIV from inks last year when they got tattoos, but I'm not sure how true that is at all!

This is a complete myth.A tattoo needle is less than a euro to buy--why anyone would re use doesnt make sense unless youre getting Tattooed in some third world country (where you really shouldnt be getting tattooed anyway).As far as Im aware there has never been a case of Hiv infection from a tattoo...however there have been Hep cases with a couple of serious outbreaks in the Us in recent years.
    Again though, these are worst case scenarios, if the studio you are going to has a good reputation and uses clean materials then you have nothing to worry about really.

Exactly--If you have any doubts at all dont get inked there.End of.Use your brain and if it looks dodgy then it probably is.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think if there was a serious health risk then we would know about it, there can be some side affects but nothing serious.

On the blue ink part, I have to get blue put in mine on Monday, up to White Dragon again, should I be worried about the ink?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

Not at all. Some of the inks that were used in the old day's might have had trace amounts of heavy metals but nowaday's all inks used in tattooing have to comply to EEC standards. They're mostly made of fine inert polymers. You'll be fine !!!

Ill ask when I get up anyway, just to be safe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not at all. Some of the inks that were used in the old day's might have had trace amounts of heavy metals but nowaday's all inks used in tattooing have to comply to EEC standards. They're mostly made of fine inert polymers. You'll be fine !!!

Theres MSDS safty sheets available for the better known brands of ink so that you can see if theyre safe.

Intenze have these available to the public.

http://www.intenzetattooink.com/intenze-tattoo-ink-university/intenze-tattoo-ink-msds-sheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

So what are the effects of tattooing on the body? Can it or does it compromise your immune system? Also collectors, do you take multivitamins and if so do they help?

Both my grandfathers and a great grandfather were extensively tattoo all three lived into their 80s I'm sure if there was a long term effect it would have gotten at least one of them.

As already mentioned if the place looks dodgy then don't get inked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

As already mentioned if the place looks dodgy then don't get inked.
    Oh the place isn't dodgy,far from it. Have had over a dozen appointments this year (mostly guest artists) and it's been mostly large work, was told the level of tattooing I'm doing can compromise the immune system,esp during healing period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres MSDS safty sheets available for the better known brands of ink so that you can see if theyre safe.

I don't know if the word "safe" is appropriate there.

Idiosyncratic reactions are possible with any tattoo, to anyone. Patch testing is meaningless as a reaction may be triggered by sunlight, time, amount of pigment present, or a combination thereof.

It is a calculated risk.

Oh the place isn't dodgy,far from it. Have had over a dozen appointments this year (mostly guest artists) and it's been mostly large work, was told the level of tattooing I'm doing can compromise the immune system,esp during healing period.

A big tattoo is a massive open wound. Getting a long sit is very stressful and tiring, and is instantly followed by a huge drain on immune resources.

I have seen people get a low grade fever directly after a long session. I have had 8+ hour sits and got a fever, low blood pressure dizziness, unbelievable swelling, and fatigue in nearby unrelated muscles. Worse than that, I get the horrors as with a severe hangover but without drinking.

I have done this enough times to be certain I was not ill with a bug every time. I have seen it with close friends too.

A big tattoo is a massive open wound. Getting a long sit is very stressful and tiring, and is instantly followed by a huge drain on immune resources.

I have seen people get a low grade fever directly after a long session. I have had 8+ hour sits and got a fever, low blood pressure dizziness, unbelievable swelling, and fatigue in nearby unrelated muscles. Worse than that, I get the horrors as with a severe hangover but without drinking.

I have done this enough times to be certain I was not ill with a bug every time. I have seen it with close friends too.

Ill agree with this one, I sat for 9 hours last Saturday and have another 8 tomorrow, but it wont be as large as the first 9.

After my first session I was tripping balls in bed that night, it was weird as hell, have nurofen plus at the ready for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Worse than that, I get the horrors as with a severe hangover but without drinking.

Probably a silly question, but as I've never drank, I don't know what you mean... can you explain please?

Probably a silly question, but as I've never drank, I don't know what you mean... can you explain please?

a feeling of hopelessness, no comfort in the world, severe introspection, anxiety, an innability to cope.

Popped into local H&B shop today and picked up some mulitvits, can't do any harm. I was tattooed last tuesday and have another appointment tomorrow so gotta keep immune system strong (felt no effects from tattooing sofar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I generally just feel like i need a nice cuddle and a nap after a long sitting, grand after that.

Got tattooed for almost 9 hours yesterday, can confirm that I am feeling it today, have vit c and calcium with a B complex to get the immune system back , also taking vitamin e and nurofen plus of course, ice pack at the ready as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive had similar experiences ater long sittings, starting with the body shakes while driving home anytime stopped at lights my body was breaking into shakes along with feeling a bit out of it, then had plans to go drinking that night but ended up going home early had a banging headache, and felt run down and weak as bodice ripper said almost hungover even drink couldnt cure it :o.

Only happened the once so far, every other time ive felt grand after a tattoo thank fook.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    Got tattooed for almost 9 hours yesterday, can confirm that I am feeling it today, have vit c and calcium with a B complex to get the immune system back , also taking vitamin e and nurofen plus of course, ice pack at the ready as well.
    Ever take Nurofen + before a session? I know it thins the blood but i don't bleed excessively taking it. Helps takes the edge off bigger sessions. If I don't use it for a big session I'm in bits the next day.

Ever take Nurofen + before a session? I know it thins the blood but i don't bleed excessively taking it. Helps takes the edge off bigger sessions. If I don't use it for a big session I'm in bits the next day.

I did the other day, bled a bit more and it took a while to stop but I got a bit of sleep in with it. Very impressed, although I think its only good for long sessions, the 9 hours on Monday I did needed the edge taken off it.

Advertisement