Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you love/hate about football

• 21-09-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hello there internet, as the title suggests, I just wanted to get peoples opinions on why you watch football, why you support who you do. What you love, what you hate about it. I'm in my final year in LSAD in Limerick, yes art college! I'm looking to base all my final year work around introducing football (as well as sport but mostly footie) as a valid subject matter for fine art (at the moment it (sport in general) is very much on the periphery).

So please if your bored take some time to contribute, rant if you like, the more opinions I get the better whether positive or negative, and if you have questions for me I'll be glad to try and answer. I'd really appreciate any comment that any of you are willing to put forward thou!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Gary Neville.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Gary Neville.

You love him and hate him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Football, compared to other sports, contains some of the thickest, most uneducated (as far as knowledge of the game goes) and moronic fans that exist.

I say that as a football fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

It's the sport with the most room for creativity in my opinion, also produces the most memorable moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Football, compared to other sports, contains some of the thickest, most uneducated (as far as knowledge of the game goes) and moronic fans that exist.

I say that as a football fan myself.

Thats only if the fans opinion goes against you are your club though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I love the way just one goal, one strike of a ball, can turn agony into ecstacy. I love the elation that that one goal can produce. I love the way it can give you such extreme emotions, the high being Robbie Keane's goal against Germany in 2002 and the low being Terry Henry's handball against us in 2009.

I hate the way it looks so shít after watching Hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I hate that people in dead end jobs, marriages and who are miserable in life in general get the opportunity to share their anger at how insignificant they are by chanting horrible things against people they've never met for 90mins and who just happen to be successful sportsmen living the life the untalented or lazy fan can only dream of.

I hate that players can be rewarded for underachievment, and that my club Aston Villa can have spent over 700m on wages since they last won a trophy.

I love the drama of World Cups, or last season's Premier League, and the fact that the impossible can become possible in any situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

It is so simple yet so complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Come on lads, let's get the flirting around foreplay out of the way and just get straight into where this thread was inevitably going anyway....

Love: Real supporters

Hate: Barstoolers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hate - Twitter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I was coaching a team of kids around 10~11, finished up the session with a blitz/tournament with 4 teams of 5, 2 matches running side by side. As I announce 30 seconds remaining two of the teams are currently joint top of the league with both matches currently level. I begin the countdown, 10, 9, 8 etc. As I approach one second remaining I turn around, this kid smacks a shot into the bottom corner to win his team the tournament, he turned around and took off screaming as if he had won the world cup final with his team mates chasing after him in delight. A small 5 a side blitz, that is of absolutely no importance, yet it brings this much happiness to a child.

That is why I love football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hate - Twitter...

Dont think you understood the Question :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I like supporters, who stand behind their team, even in bad times
    I also like the Bar in Tolka
    And I like creative choreographies

I don't like supporters, who choose their team, because of success
    I also don't like horrendous prices for away supporters (like HSV)
    And I don't like bans on pyrotechnique...it can be done in a safe way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just love kicking a ball around the place.

I miss the old days when we went out onto the street and played a match that last for 4 hours and went on so long that we forgot who had won. Now all we do is go down to the pub and drink or sit in on the laptop managing an imaginary team. Now I kind of have to wait until I go to training until I can play. A 22 year old looks a little odd just kicking a ball off a wall.

I know I sound like Johnny Giles but there is no comparison at all between being out on the street in summer or in the middle of winter and sitting inside playing an Xbox or PS3.

One Christmas we played every day out on the street. The grass was too long and too wet so we decided to risk our lives by playing on the iced over road. They were some of our best matches. No way would I suggest it to anyone else to do. One slip and we could have cracked our skulls off the ground or done our knees. As long as our team won though we wouldn't have minded :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Love : Tactics and strategies.

Hate : Supporters (tho hate is prob too strong a word) .

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Love : Tactics and strategies.

Hate : Supporters (tho hate is prob too strong a word) .

It's just a bit of a stereotype, but never mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Love moments like this :D

2718086_o.gif

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Love moments like this :D

2718086_o.gif

One day, not too far away, these moments will come back...I hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I love football.

I hate football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's the only sport that really is universally popular. Speaking to people from all over the world about football is easily the best ice-breaker there is. One of the first conversations I had in French was about Lorient and, at the time their promotion to Ligue 1. To me that's the best thing about it.

The worst thing is how childish people can act over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Lars1916 wrote: »
    One day, not too far away, these moments will come back...I hope
    2718086_o.gif

LOL :pac:

Doocey wrote: »
    LOL :pac:

Why? Have you never got any dreams and hopes? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RTE commentators interviewing the Manager mid match!!

:mad:

Wouldn't try that with Fergie.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Why? Have you never got any dreams and hopes? ;)

Probably not, sure he's a Newcastle fan. :pac:

irish-stew wrote: »
    RTE commentators interviewing the Manager mid match!!

:mad:

Wouldn't try that with Fergie.

:D

He was interviewed at half time on ITV the other night I think. Completely ridiculous. All he did was list off a few clichés about keeping it tight and scoring more, like every other manager around would do in his position.

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Probably not, sure he's a Newcastle fan. :pac:

I won't mention Andy Carroll then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

He was interviewed at half time on ITV the other night I think. Completely ridiculous. All he did was list off a few clichés about keeping it tight and scoring more, like every other manager around would do in his position.

Oh I've seen that, but I mean from the dugout.

:eek:

irish-stew wrote: »
    Oh I've seen that, but I mean from the dugout.

:eek:

Ahhh. Like proper mid match then. Foolish in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Love: Entertaining players

Hate: Pundits, the football media in general, football fans, managers who blame everything bar themselves and football governance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I hate people who say it was better in the past. The levels of competition now is higher than it has ever been, IMHO the reason it was better to watch was the gap in skill between individual players was much higher. Was it more entertaining - absolutely; better - no.

That and Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Love: Goals, skills, winning,teamwork, injury time drama, passion, Dunphy, Giles & Co,funny chants and how the world cup/Euros can affect a nation like no other sport.

Hate: diving, faking injury, losing,booing (especially national anthems), English tabloid media, Alan Shearer as a pundit, Gary Lineker as a presenter and Jamie Redknapp's testicles in his tight suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Ahhh. Like proper mid match then. Foolish in the extreme.

I'm awaiting the day something controversial happens mid interview or a goal is scored :D should make for good tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

It's the only sport that really is universally popular. Speaking to people from all over the world about football is easily the best ice-breaker there is. One of the first conversations I had in French was about Lorient and, at the time their promotion to Ligue 1. To me that's the best thing about it.

The worst thing is how childish people can act over it.

It is funny but I have met at least four Italian lads in my time with zero interest in it (having said that, two of them were former fans who became disillusioned with the hooliganism and match fixing in Italian football). Italian women are also generally just into it for the tournaments/ big games much like the average Irish girl. The whole thing bout it being a religion in Italy is a bit over stated IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Love - seeing an excellent passage of play resulting in a goal.
    Seeing and hearing supporters reactions when there is a goal mouth scramble but eventually a goal.
    Hearing a good story about a footballer doing something nice for someone

Hate - the impatience of media and fans over players and managers.
    How rivalry blinds fans to the possibility of a different view on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Love - how your emotions change so much in 2 quick hours, moments that make you just say wow (both good and bad).

biggest hate - when a footballers life is judged completely by how he acts on the field. Perfect example is Drogba

• Advertisement
Advertisement