Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rival teams paying others to win!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think it's done in La Liga, or at least it was.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. Your just giving people extra money to do something that they should be doing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Blatter wrote: »
    Personally I don't see a problem with it. Your just giving people extra money to do something that they should be doing anyway.

I think therein lies the problem. Offering teams money to win sort of implies/acknowledges that they're not trying (which of course would never happen in this beautiful game of ours).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Scandalous...

In the week that is in it, thought i`d post this.

Liverpool v. Manchester United, 1915

Overview: For those who thought that Liverpool and Manchester United would never cooperate with one another, you are mistaken. In 1915, Liverpool and Manchester United met at Old Trafford in a game that was so obviously fixed that even the Chicago Black Sox would have been impressed. United were fighting relegation and Liverpool were at mid-table and out of contention. As such, Liverpool players agreed to take a dive and bet on themselves to lose. Most observers felt that Liverpool went out of their way to avoid scoring, including missing a penalty shot, and United easily won, 2-0.

Result: Rumors abounded that the match was fixed, which forced the F.A. to investigate. A total of seven players (3 from United and 4 from Liverpool) were banned for life. Neither club was fined, nor were any points deducted, which meant that the result would stand. Chelsea would have been relegated instead, however with the F.A.’s decision to expand the following season, Chelsea and Arsenal were allowed to stay. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, there was a time when the Big Four did not control English football.

Source

Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They're notorious for it in la liga like blatter said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its more an incentive then match fixing no?

I assume the English FA will be asking for Laudraup to explain his comments or issue a statement saying match fixing is against the rules yada yada.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd fire any player who took money from a third party in order to play better, the obvious implication being that he wasn't giving 100% in each match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I'd fire any player who took money from a third party in order to play better, the obvious implication being that he wasn't giving 100% in each match.

Of course players don't give 100% in every match, especially in a league structure. So many dead rubber games. The main problem with paying is that if it becomes popular players may put in even less effort if there is no bribe forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Side note, but were I a coach, I'd insist that players put 50% of their wages on themselves to win each week :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I did it once in a Pro Ev tournament and it paid off :pac:

It happened in a famous match from 94, when Depor needed to beat Valencia to win the league. Barcelona, in 2nd place before the last day of the season, offered Valencia players a bonus to hold Depor to a draw. The game was at 0-0, Barcelona were beating Sevilla, but Valencia conceded a penalty in the last minute.

One kick to win the league...

Djukic missed the penalty, the Valencia players received their payment and Depor were denied their first ever league title.

bohsman wrote: »
    Of course players don't give 100% in every match, especially in a league structure. So many dead rubber games. The main problem with paying is that if it becomes popular players may put in even less effort if there is no bribe forthcoming.

It's bull****, fraud even. They don't charge fans less for tickets to a dead rubber match yet they're still expected to hand over a huge wedge of cash to watch millionaires do a half-arsed job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you start accepting payments from a third party to win games then you have jumped onto a slippery slope. Next thing you know you are paid to play worse or injure a player on purpose and then to lose games. Hell you might even get blackmailed into doing something if they can prove you accepted payments because you are facing a ban if it becomes public.

It should never happen. These guys are paid an absolute fortune as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

It's bull****, fraud even. They don't charge fans less for tickets to a dead rubber match yet they're still expected to hand over a huge wedge of cash to watch millionaires do a half-arsed job.

It's the same in every walk of life, when it's important people put more effort in. Do you give 100% for 40 hours a week in your job or do you work hard when there's work to be done and relax slightly when there's a bit of downtime?
    Many clubs will offer discounts for dead rubber games.

These guys have 90 minutes a week when they're required to put in their best effort. If I had the same requirement I'd give it my all for an hour and a half; it would be the least I could do for the money being paid and the number of people showing up to watch me work.

A better comparison would be Axl Rose showing up late, mumbling a few songs and generally showing contempt for the people who pay to see him.

Advertisement