Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please take a look at this photo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

Pretty sure its the scarecrow like thing on the left side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Maudi wrote: »
    lukesmom wrote: »
    Was flicking through photos I took earlier this year while on a walk. One particular photo of the river seems to have, what looks to me a figure standing on the water. Im guessing male and possibly a fisherman although there was definitely nobody else down there that morning apart from my husband and daughter. I reckon its a ghost. What do you think? Is there a way to make the figure clearer? Also could somebody post this photo on the page, i have tried and failed
    Where abouts is the picture taken?theres not a leaf to be seen on any trees bar the coniferious in the back ground..just curious

Photo taken in Navan down the ramparts it's quite a popular scenic beauty spot was taken on the 28th March last

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Not a clear cut shape of a person but I see how it would get you wondering. Interesting, thanks for sharing.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It does look like the silhouette of a person alright, but the scale just isn't quite right. You could also say the figure is standing facing to the left, & you could say its facing to the right...it's too vague & thats why offhand it looks like someone standing in/on water. What would all the extra black mass be also?

Definitely seen it straight away though, good spot!

- extra black mass could be a large fishing bag with rod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TonyStark wrote: »
    Looks like a ghost to me.
    If by 'ghost' you mean 'black bag hanging from tree'? Then, yes. Absolutely. Spot on.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    TonyStark wrote: »
    Looks like a ghost to me.
    If by 'ghost' you mean 'black bag hanging from tree'? Then, yes. Absolutely. Spot on.

Yes cos most black bags have legs and faces

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Was flicking through photos I took earlier this year while on a walk. One particular photo of the river seems to have, what looks to me a figure standing on the water. Im guessing male and possibly a fisherman although there was definitely nobody else down there that morning apart from my husband and daughter. I reckon its a ghost. What do you think? Is there a way to make the figure clearer? Also could somebody post this photo on the page, i have tried and failed

Can you post the full size photo, straight from the camera?

Can you post the full size photo, straight from the camera?

I took it on my iPhone camera

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It looks too small for an iPhone pic, did you shrink it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It's really not hard to see that the black area is in the midground, in line with the branch and the stuff dangling off it, it's base does not meet the water and is not following the line it should were it something in the river, and the tan coloured area above it is in the background, part of the reflection of the trees on the opposite bank.

In addition the dark area is not remotely human in shape when you actually look at it, it is jagged at the edges and the shading suggests an impossible form, unless it's a bit of black plastic caught in a tree that is...

• Advertisement

It looks too small for an iPhone pic, did you shrink it?

No

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I am convinced 100% that it's a ghost - maybe even a holy ghost - maybe only 99% on a second look!

Ghost my arse!

Fine if you don't think it's a ghost but no need to be so offensive

There is no such thing as ghosts, so don't be surprised if people laugh at your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Got it up in photoshop. Did me best. What you have there is a bone fide .....

.....blurry picture.

This is a distinguishing feature of somewhere close to exactly 100% of pictures that purport to show ghosts, aliens, spaceships, nessie, bigfoot and Pat Kenny's charisma. A likely reason you didn't see it then, and do 'see' it now, is that on the day, whilst taking in the lovely views along that stretch of waterway, your eyes were in focus. You pulled out the ol' iPhone to capture the scene, and it was not.

It's just blurry enough to suggest a shape. But that's all it is. A shape. As I said earlier, could just as likely be Queen EI of Eng.

If you'd posted it on the photography forum, you'd have been told you had a blurry picture and a nice memento of a day out. Which is what it is. A pity somebody had to spoil an otherwise pleasant snapshot by dumping rubbish in the trees along the river.

There's something there you can't quite make out, I'll grant you that. It's blurred and not fully discernable, but I'd be 99% sure its a tatty old binbag hanging from a branch. I of course may be wrong. It may be a brand new binbag that just looks tatty due to blurriness. Its so unlikely that anybody would throw away a perfectly good brand new binbag though, that I only give this a 1% probability. 0% for ghost. Partly because its improbable, but mostly because its impossible, what with there being no such thing as ghosts. I wouldn't give a ghost a ghost of a chance, if you like. :D

Apply Occam's razor to the scenario. Its a perfect opportunity. Which is more likely, binbag or bogeyman?

I am convinced 100% that it's a ghost - maybe even a holy ghost - maybe only 99% on a second look!

Ghost my arse!

Fine if you don't think it's a ghost but no need to be so offensive

There is no such thing as ghosts, so don't be surprised if people laugh at your suggestion.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Can we see the general location on google map? Might pop down there myself if I find myself in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It looks like a leaf. My brain fills it in as looking like Voldem... He Who Shall Not Be Named. It's just the brain filling in the details. You never mistake a robber for a shadow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It looks like a leaf. My brain fills it in as looking like Voldem... He Who Shall Not Be Named. It's just the brain filling in the details. You never mistake a robber for a shadow....
    Ha, I saw Voldemort too :D

Advertisement