Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from O2 to eMobile...is it worth it??

Options
  • 21-09-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I am a pre pay O2 customer for a long number of years now and have been happy with the service I have had to date. However my phone is now on the blink and I am considering changing to a smartphone. As the O2 data usage packages are poor I am considering changing networks and/or enter into a contract if it gets me a better deal. The eMobile deals look particularly attractive and I am already an eircom customer so this will entitle me to a monthly discount with them.

One of the main reasons for staying with O2 is that I get free O2 to O2 calls. Also, my b/f works abroad and because we are both on O2 network I can call him in Spain for free and he can accept the call incurring a once of fee of 80c. This call could last 5 mins or 5 hours and there still is no charge for me and the charge for him is the initial 80c connection fee.

Anyway I am wondering if the eMobile "any network texts/calls" would work in the same way?

Does anyone have experience of this and/or have any advice on the eMobile price plans etc.

Thanks in advance
    Smallone

P.S. Mods, please feel free to move this post if in the wrong forum. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

smallone wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am a pre pay O2 customer for a long number of years now and have been happy with the service I have had to date. However my phone is now on the blink and I am considering changing to a smartphone. As the O2 data usage packages are poor I am considering changing networks and/or enter into a contract if it gets me a better deal. The eMobile deals look particularly attractive and I am already an eircom customer so this will entitle me to a monthly discount with them.

One of the main reasons for staying with O2 is that I get free O2 to O2 calls. Also, my b/f works abroad and because we are both on O2 network I can call him in Spain for free and he can accept the call incurring a once of fee of 80c. This call could last 5 mins or 5 hours and there still is no charge for me and the charge for him is the initial 80c connection fee.

Anyway I am wondering if the eMobile "any network texts/calls" would work in the same way?

Does anyone have experience of this and/or have any advice on the eMobile price plans etc.

Thanks in advance
    Smallone

If you go to an emobile store you may be able to sign up for the €35 unlimited plan, it seems to be a bit hit and miss with availability, read on one of the threads tallaght still have vouchers. Any network calls will be free but the only proviso is that it's free up to 60min, you will need to dial back to avoid charges. Have found them ok to deal with and the best value going.

• Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
    Smallone

Hi Smallone,

First of all thank you for taking an interest in joining the eMobile network.

As you are an Eircom customer you can avail of an Eircom discount which is applied to all eMobile Bill pay accounts.

You can find details of all our plans here: http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/plans/postpay/

Depending on what handsets you are interested in eMobile have a lot of competitive prices.

Also included in all our plans you have unlimited calls and texts to any Irish landline.

In regard to your boyfriend is he using an Irish mobile number or a Spanish number? If it is a Spanish number you can find details of charges here: http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/international/

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@smallone - before moving to a new network, it's always a good idea to get yourself a (free) PAYG SIM card to check the coverage in the places you most frequent.

I moved to eMobile and haven't really had any issues. Am in the process of moving the whole family over as it makes sense all of us being on the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MCNo2

I wouldn't recommend switching to emobile. I was with 02 for a number of years and was very happy with their services and customer care. Moved to emobile when they launched a few years ago to avail of a better deal. While the phone reception has been adequate, they are a very difficult company to deal with and their customer service is very bad in my experience. Staff are very rude and have been either unable or unwilling to help with even the most basic requests/queries. Often being giving the run around. I intend to leave as soon as my contract is over after finally growing disillusioned and infuriated with this situation.

MCNo2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend switching to emobile. I was with 02 for a number of years and was very happy with their services and customer care. Moved to emobile when they launched a few years ago to avail of a better deal. While the phone reception has been adequate, they are a very difficult company to deal with and their customer service is very bad in my experience. Staff are very rude and have been either unable or unwilling to help with even the most basic requests/queries. Often being giving the run around. I intend to leave as soon as my contract is over after finally growing disillusioned and infuriated with this situation.

Hi MCNo2,

Sorry to hear that you feel this way. Is there anything that I can assist you with here? If you PM your mobile number pin and query I will be happy to help.

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 smallone

Hi all and thanks for all your comments.

@Tony, my boyfriend currently has an Irish O2 number which is the one I use when calling him in Spain and as I said its free for me and he pays an one off connection fee of 79c to receive the call.

Would the unlimited eMobile plan work in the same way???

@BearNeccessities, great idea re trying the free sim card first. Will sign up for one of those asap.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Neither would I recommend moving to eMobile. They are a very difficult company to deal with. Reception is bad. When I was moving, the O2 rep said "You won't be long with them". I asked why and he said one word, "Coverage". He was right.

If you enter into a contract and have a perfectly usable phone at the end of it, it is my experience that eMobile will not unlock it for you.

So, my advice is, stay clear of eMobile.

Hi all and thanks for all your comments.

@Tony, my boyfriend currently has an Irish O2 number which is the one I use when calling him in Spain and as I said its free for me and he pays an one off connection fee of 79c to receive the call.

Would the unlimited eMobile plan work in the same way???

@BearNeccessities, great idea re trying the free sim card first. Will sign up for one of those asap.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi smallone,

As your boyfriend has an Irish number it would be free for you to give him a call if you sign up on the Unlimited plan.

If you wish to sign up your contract as BearNeccessities has advised eMobile have a 14 day returns policy so if the coverage is not sufficient in your area you can cancel without incurring any charges.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just to clarify OP/Tony - I recommended that the OP get "a (free) PAYG SIM card". No contract so hence no returns policy needed.

Just top up the PAYG SIM with the minimum amount and take it with you where you frequent. Make some calls, send some texts and test out the data connection.

If you're happy, take the plunge and go billpay.

I would never EVER recommend anyone take a billpay contract to test coverage on a network. Go the PAYG route for testing.

The above is what I did before moving from 3Ireland. I'm very happy I moved and my bills are 1/3 the cost. Only had one minor issue really and the tech team (I believe) are working on getting it sorted.

Edit: Just one other reminder OP (if you use the O2 webtexts). Although eMobile do offer webtexts, they are national webtexts only.
    @Tony - I'd love if eMobile would offer int'l webtexts *hint* *hint*
    If you wish to sign up your contract as BearNeccessities has advised eMobile have a 14 day returns policy
    Tony

Advertisement