Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screening Tenants

Options
  • 21-09-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I have my first set of viewings this evening and was just wondering if any landlords can pass on any words of wisdom or give me a heads up on what to avoid and what to look out for when vetting tenants.

I know to ask for references (employment and previous landlord), ensure they have a bank account, ensure they are currently in fulltime employment etc. Is there anything I should watch out for? Should I go with my gut instinct.

What do you other landlords do at viewings? Do you offer to show them around? Do you try and "sell" the property? Do you let them look around themselves? Do you see all the tenants and make a decision after seeing them all? How do you accept the deposit? Bank draft? Cash? Bank transfer?

Any tips welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Hi Everyone,

I have my first set of viewings this evening and was just wondering if any landlords can pass on any words of wisdom or give me a heads up on what to avoid and what to look out for when vetting tenants.

I know to ask for references (employment and previous landlord), ensure they have a bank account, ensure they are currently in fulltime employment etc. Is there anything I should watch out for? Should I go with my gut instinct.

What do you other landlords do at viewings? Do you offer to show them around? Do you try and "sell" the property? Do you let them look around themselves? Do you see all the tenants and make a decision after seeing them all? How do you accept the deposit? Bank draft? Cash? Bank transfer?

Any tips welcome!!

gut feeling is worth a lot but after my last experience:

- letter from employer
    - letter from last landlord
    - copy of passport / drivers license

and then a quick chat with a former neighbour who is a guard to have a quick look at the paperwork and offer some advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

And phone the previous landlord for a verbal reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I had an agency ask for 2 written references and a phone number for a former employer. Also they would let me know the following week. In the end I had to go with my 2nd favourite house because there was too much red tape. That house had been "to let" for weeks before and after I viewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I had an agency ask for 2 written references and a phone number for a former employer. Also they would let me know the following week. In the end I had to go with my 2nd favourite house because there was too much red tape. That house had been "to let" for weeks before and after I viewed!
    Better to let for a few weeks looking for good tenants than being squatted in by overholding ones for 2 years tbh, especially if the LL has no pressing financial need to let.

I can only add that all references should be checked over the phone and in person if at all possible. If anything doesn't sit right (forged references are not uncommon) with the verbal reference, treat the written one as suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Any tips welcome!!
    Yeah i show them around & try to sell the place, then I tell them what I require - deposit, first months rent, references, proof of full time employment. I tell them the house rules, rent must be paid by direct debit etc.. Then I offer to let them have a look around by themselves (this offers them the opportunity to have a chat amongst themselves).

Go with your gut. I'd rather have the place on the market an additional month, than take the risk of some scumbag wrecking the place/not paying rent & having the heartache of having to evict someone.

I see everyone across a weekend, then get back to them all Sunday night with my decision. Ring who you want to rent to first, make sure they accept, then texts of "thanks, but no thanks" to the rest.

Meet them in a bank for the deposit. I bring ID myself so they rest assured. This is safer all round, and you can get them to start the direct debit there & then - this saves TONNES of hassle chasing people on rent day. Then back to the property with the key, take them through everything one more time.

Point out local pub/supermarket/resturant/ATM & a pint of milk in the fridge with a few tea bags. Bottle of wine on the dinner table. That'll get them started, and you should be well on your road to establishing a good relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Don't ask them anything you are not prepared to answer to them yourself.
    A potential lease is a two way process.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Don't ask them anything you are not prepared to answer to them yourself.
    A potential lease is a two way process.
    Huh? Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Should you ask for all these also if just renting out a room in your own house?
    I normally just take a months deposit thats it. Never ask for anything:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd be extremely wary of a landlord asking for a copy of my passport/drivers licence. What precautions do they have for data protection?

Depends what type of rental situation it is, really. Are you going to be living there, or are they renting out the whole house? Paying by DD is a good idea as everything can be traced. References are a good idea, too, but gut instinct is really what you have to go by. If you're in doubt, look for someone else.

convert wrote: »
    I'd be extremely wary of a landlord asking for a copy of my passport/drivers licence. What precautions do they have for data protection?
    I don't ask for a copy - just to see it.

• Advertisement

Should you ask for all these also if just renting out a room in your own house?
    I normally just take a months deposit thats it. Never ask for anything:eek:
    The person renting a room from you has no tenancy. They are legally a mere guest in your home, who can pretty much be turfed out at any time. References are always a good idea, but you won't be stung if they turn out to be unreliable etc. as you can just kick 'em out.

Tenants have much more protection under law and so it's crucial to do your best at picking good ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is as well to be sure of ID. There have been situations where individuals became resident in a house share and as soon as they were left alone in the house, took anything of value away with them and don't some back. The housemates and owner then find out that the person gave a false name and is untraceable.

Zulu wrote: »
    Huh? Like what?

Don't ask them how often they drink for example.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

I got two tenants that appear to tick all the boxes and I clicked with them straight away. They both have steady public sector jobs and have rented for a few years so are able to provide employment and previous landlord references.

They were also very open and forthcoming with information whereas another two potential tenants were extremely close-mouthed and difficult to get information out of, however they grilled me thoroughly. Felt like telling them, it works both ways fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I viewed a house a few years back and the landlord went as far as asking for payslips, I viewed the house before I presented them and then let loose at the land lord as the house was poorly maintained, the Irish female tenant had just done a smelly poo. We saw her leave the bathroom and the Chinese tenant was eatingbin his room. They were moving out and we would be taking the whole house. I was quite insulted at having been asked for such intimate documents that they would present the house in that manner.

So what i'm saying is of your asking for such personal documents, ensure the place is presentable.

Hi

As a previous agent referencing was the utmost importance. Normal references required would include
    - Work reference
    - Landlord reference
    - Copy of ID
    - PPS number
    - bank reference ( in certain circumstances )
    - Guarantor letter ( in certain circumstances )

We encourage tenants to upload and share their documents through <snip> and share access with landlords and tenants.

You can also do a free inventory on the property with a smarphone app. Designed to protect each entity and the tenants deposit.

Connect with me on twitter <snip> if your on it.

Regards

Colin Napper

Its a good idea mate but I wouldn't want to share that sort of thing online.

Just for balance - each tenant should request these basics from a potential landlord.

Proof of ID

Proof of ownership of property

Proof of PRTB registration

PPS Number or proof of home address for rent relief

Reference from last tenant

Just for balance - each tenant should request these basics from a potential landlord.

Proof of ID

Proof of ownership of property

Proof of PRTB registration

PPS Number or proof of home address for rent relief

Reference from last tenant
    Agree with all that except the PRTB one obviously. If no tenancy is in place yet, then a landlord cannot register one until it is. the stuff in bold should really be a no-brainer for tenants to request. I wouldn't hand over a deposit without assuring myself of the landlord's credentials. Too many rental scams to even tempt fate on that score. Any landlord who is hesitant about providing proof of ownership and PPS is best avoided quite frankly.

Also, reference from last tenant might be a bit hard if the last tenant was evicted for non-payment of rent or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi

As a previous agent referencing was the utmost importance. Normal references required would include
    - Work reference
    - Landlord reference
    - Copy of ID
    - PPS number
    - bank reference ( in certain circumstances )
    - Guarantor letter ( in certain circumstances )

We encourage tenants to upload and share their documents through <snip> and share access with landlords and tenants.

You can also do a free inventory on the property with a smarphone app. Designed to protect each entity and the tenants deposit.

Connect with me on twitter <snip> if your on it.

Regards

Colin Napper
    1. Spam isn't welcome.
    2. It think it is highly inappropriate for a private third party to be compiling a database with such information. There are risks of identity theft and other data protection issues.
    3. What is the legal basis for you to ask for a PPS number?

@ted1: couldn't agree more, but I wouldn't link it to asking for personal info; more from the aspect of trying to actually rent the property!

@Zamboni: I never thought of this one myself, but, how could you prove ownership without the deeds?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Agree with all that except the PRTB one obviously. If no tenancy is in place yet, then a landlord cannot register one until it is. the stuff in bold should really be a no-brainer for tenants to request. I wouldn't hand over a deposit without assuring myself of the landlord's credentials. Too many rental scams to even tempt fate on that score. Any landlord who is hesitant about providing proof of ownership and PPS is best avoided quite frankly.

Also, reference from last tenant might be a bit hard if the last tenant was evicted for non-payment of rent or whatever.

I did jump the gun on the PRTB reg.
    But in relation to a tenant reference, it would be important for both sides to remember that a good person may not get a reference fropm a previous landlord/tenant due to a dispute of some nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I did jump the gun on the PRTB reg.
    But in relation to a tenant reference, it would be important for both sides to remember that a good person may not get a reference fropm a previous landlord/tenant due to a dispute of some nature.

Will soon be renting out my PPR. But in all my years renting I was never asked for references. I never had them. Altough I do remember renting a room in Manchester and the Landlord ran a credit check on me in ireland. He said he could could find anything but that I seemed ok so I got the room. Ah Fallowfield the memories...........

Advertisement