Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPC2425 config/getting the best settings

• 21-09-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

ive just gotten my new epc2425 modem setup that i got from upc for the broadband upgrade. im on the modems page with all my settings. what will i change to get the best out of it?

thanks for any replies. maybe they can help other people out too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ive just gotten my new epc2425 modem setup that i got from upc for the broadband upgrade. im on the modems page with all my settings. what will i change to get the best out of it?

thanks for any replies. maybe they can help other people out too.
    There's nothing to change really ...
    Are you connecting wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

There's nothing to change really ...
    Are you connecting wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable??

wirelessly. i meant to say i have the epc3925 modem also. just not getting good speeds on utorrent and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Set the "Channel Width" on the page below to "Wide - 40 MHz Channel."

F31TR.png

Also, be sure to select a channel that is not being used by neighbors. You can download applications on your PC or smartphone to see lists of other WiFi networks within range and what channels they're using. Choose a channel that's not being used at least two channels away from a strong signal, or if there ins't any free channels, select the one with the weakest signal that is still at least two channels away or more from a strong signal - this is all to minimize interference, which will help insure faster speeds and less WiFi-related drop-outs. Additionally, make sure your computers are also using 802.11n / Wireless-N controllers so they can obtain the fastest speeds (802.11g / Wireless-G would only get you 22-24Mb/s at maximum). If not, compatible USB dongles can be purchased to use instead of them (for PC desktop and laptops) and they aren't too expensive.

The 2.4GHz band is also the most standard, but in my opinion it's not as sturdy as the 5GHz band (interference is less of an issue). However, most laptop WiFi controllers have not caught up and will not be compatible with 5GHz, meaning, incompatible controllers won't even pick up the SSID. If you want to try and see if your devices are able to connect to a 5GHz network, by all means switch it over on the page shown above, but make sure you have an Ethernet cable on stand-by in case it doesn't work, as you'll need it to switch it back to 2.4GHz again, since wouldn't be able to get on WiFi.

Do speedtests to compare before and after you make any changes to make sure they're benefiting you.

Advertisement