Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Marinades in oven ?

Options
  • 21-09-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi - elementary cook here :)

I buy chicken in Superquinn with nice marinades like lime and chilli etc. BUt would like to make my own to use with bulk bought breasts.

However when I look up marinades they all seem to cook the chicken in the grill and not in the oven ... ? I would prefer to cook chicken in a glass container in the oven ... but will it kill all the taste ? How can I prevent this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Piliger wrote: »
    Hi - elementary cook here :)

I buy chicken in Superquinn with nice marinades like lime and chilli etc. BUt would like to make my own to use with bulk bought breasts.

However when I look up marinades they all seem to cook the chicken in the grill and not in the oven ... ? I would prefer to cook chicken in a glass container in the oven ... but will it kill all the taste ? How can I prevent this ?

cooking them in the oven should be fine. take them out and baste them in their juices a couple of times for best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm assuming the recipes only recommend grilling the chicken because it's in small pieces. Are you looking up marinades for various chicken kebabs and bite-size chicken things? I make a lot of marindes, I do a chicken piri piri one a good bit and I make chicken tandoori and all the time and I invariably roast/bake the chicken. Maybe if you let us know which marinades/recipes you want to use we can hopefully tell you if it would work in the oven or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm assuming the recipes only recommend grilling the chicken because it's in small pieces. Are you looking up marinades for various chicken kebabs and bite-size chicken things? I make a lot of marindes, I do a chicken piri piri one a good bit and I make chicken tandoori and all the time and I invariably roast/bake the chicken. Maybe if you let us know which marinades/recipes you want to use we can hopefully tell you if it would work in the oven or not?

I am only really referring to breasts of chicken. So 25 minutes at about 180. Will that kill the nice tastes from the marinade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Piliger wrote: »
    Merkin wrote: »

I am only really referring to breasts of chicken. So 25 minutes at about 180. Will that kill the nice tastes from the marinade ?

Not at all, in fact far less dehydrating than grilling!!! Great idea suggested above to baste them too as it puts all the flavours back in!

Great stuff..... thanks for the advice ... onward to google marinades :)

• Advertisement

I spent a while in Tesco today ...looking for marinades but could not find any......

I do plan to make some myself but .... could anyone advise me on what I could use sometimes ? Could I use those little tubs of sauce that are for spaghetti/Pasta ? Or other sauces I can get in Tesco or Dunnes ? that might be suitable for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'm no expert but the last time I marinaded something (tuna steak), I just put it in a sandwich bag with some oil, crushed garlic, chopped chili, ginger and lime juice. Left it overnight in the fridge and fried it.

You could do the same thing with chicken and put in some fresh basil or something in. You could cook in oven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I do very simple marinades but follow the general rule of having a little oil in and something acid like lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

For pork chops I use: 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
    1 tablespoon of oil
    2 tablespoons of honey
    1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    You can add sliced or dried chilli and grated ginger too if you like.

For chicken I often use some oil, lemon juice, garlic and thyme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

might be an idea to score the chicken fillets if you are marinading them whole, get the marinade right into the fillets, rather than just sitting on the surface.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I do very simple marinades but follow the general rule of having a little oil in and something acid like lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

For pork chops I use: 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
    1 tablespoon of oil
    2 tablespoons of honey
    1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    You can add sliced or dried chilli and grated ginger too if you like.

For chicken I often use some oil, lemon juice, garlic and thyme.

If doing fish, I'd leave the acid out, or else you'd just end up with weird half done ceviche.

• Advertisement
Advertisement