Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips & useful ideas to cut costs in the Recession

• 21-09-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

What have you done to save on bills or incorporated into your life to reduce the financial impact of this never ending recession.
    We started a small veg garden two yr ago,I get old pallets for wood,compost the waste and recycle almost everything bringing an average 380 waste bill down to 40 quid a yr.
    Got two hens for the eggs,low maintenance.
    Cycle whenever I can to work and limit excess mileage.
    Bought a decent coffee machine and no longer spend on takeaway coffees as we got decent stuff at home.
    Hoping to keep bees next year and I gather wood whenever I can to reduce the oil cost.
    I actually enjoy all of the above,don't see it as a pain.
    What have yee done to help with the costs and any useful ideas welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dont spend much money

seems to work

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Started shopping in Aldi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Save €4 on laundry bills by donating your dirty shirts to the local charity shop.

They will wash and iron them and you can then buy them back for €1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Few brilliant ones in here......though most will not make you popular,there are some genuine ideas,... and some right mean c***s

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58479654

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

brb googling Viz Top Tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Become a politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Save €4 on laundry bills by donating your dirty shirts to the local charity shop.

They will wash and iron them and you can then buy them back for €1.

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Shop at Aldi, use the washing line as much as possible..

Recycle everything, except what can go in compost bin.. A trip to the recycling plant costs €5 per carload.. We grow our own herbs and wanna start growing our own vegetables..

Cook as much as I can, got a load of recipes from the cooking club for currys, pizzas, etc, so we can have good restaurant quality food at home.. The startup for that can be kind of expensive but the pastes will do about five or six curries each..

Living Social, Grabone, etc do great deals for meals out if we want to go!

Go up north once every few months for stuff that would be way expensive down here.. And raid my mothers freezer because she buys stuff she will never eat just coz it's on sale.

Get the bus to work instead of driving, parking in the city is ridiculous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Have someone else Google Viz's top tips for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I gave up smoking, drinking, and chasing after women.

I'm still broke :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Beast of Bodmin

Do your own colonoscopies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Use a knife to scrape the skids off your underpants like you would burnt bits off toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Hibernate for the next 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Sappa wrote: »
    We started a small veg garden two yr ago,I get old pallets for wood,compost the waste and recycle almost everything bringing an average 380 waste bill down to 40 quid a yr.
    Good.
    Bought a decent coffee machine and no longer spend on takeaway coffees as we got decent stuff at home.

So you're too posh for instant coffee?

"Yes, cut back on all non-essentially, but oh please leave the coffee, we NEED good quality coffee. I think I'd DIE if I drank too much instant coffee."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Tips? Emigrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What have you done to save on bills or incorporated into your life to reduce the financial impact of this never ending recession.
    Hoping to keep bees next year and I gather wood whenever I can to reduce the oil cost.
    I actually enjoy all of the above,don't see it as a pain.
    What have yee done to help with the costs and any useful ideas welcome.

BEES???!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Turned the thermostat down and have heating on less
    Learnt how to service my own vehicles
    Energy saving light bulbs throughout the house
    Started shopping in aldi
    Gave up smoking

Despite losing my job I now have more disposable income than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

I stopped buying apartments in Bulgaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Aldi, Lidl, cycling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I have cut off the ESB - we now use a petrol generator for all our household power. Our electricity bill is non-existant. Massive savings to be had. Top tip.
    I will think of some more top tips in a minute, I'm just off to Motors to see if there's any replies to my "our fuel bill has skyrocketed lately" thread, our car seems to be feckin guzling the stuff if the petrol stations bills are anything to go by. Probably just need to get a smaller car..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Turned the thermostat down and have heating on less
    Learnt how to service my own vehicles
    Energy saving light bulbs throughout the house
    Started shopping in aldi
    Gave up smoking

Jeez if ****ing oul enda hears that we're all fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ah Jesus, don't give them the ammo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Good.

So you're too posh for instant coffee?

"Yes, cut back on all non-essentially, but oh please leave the coffee, we NEED good quality coffee. I think I'd DIE if I drank too much instant coffee."
    Well the coffee machine has paid for itself already,it's now an asset and each cup costs me 35 cents including the milk.
    That's a nice change from 2.70 a cup in a shop and drinking two a day at least I am in the black already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, don't give them the ammo...

Think I might link that post in my sig :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

have an indian and drink dark ale and head for a bath. hey presto, your own bubble bath
    (not Viz)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

the light at the end of my tunnel has to be turned off due to cutbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Depressed people. Instead of attempting suicide as a 'cry for help', simply shout 'Help!' thus saving money on paracetamol, etc...

Well the coffee machine has paid for itself already,it's now an asset and each cup costs me 35 cents including the milk.
    That's a nice change from 2.70 a cup in a shop and drinking two a day at least I am in the black already.

Why not just buy a tin of cheap instant coffee from Lidl/Asda, put 3-4 teaspoons of it plus some hot water and milk into a flask and bring it to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I dragged another year out from a pair of old, worn broken shoes. Worn everyday too.

And when I bought new shoes
    - BLISS!

Actually not recommended because my feet were in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Jake the dog

Ditched UPC and installed a DIY Freesat Tv kit. Saved me a fortune on UPC and haven't really missed it to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I dragged another year out from a pair of old, worn broken shoes. Worn everyday too.

And when I bought new shoes
    - BLISS!

Actually not recommended because my feet were in bits.

I always do this, I think a broken in pair of Adidas always look great, so I find no need to buy a new pair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Why not just buy a tin of cheap instant coffee from Lidl/Asda, put 3-4 teaspoons of it plus some hot water and milk into a flask and bring it to work?

Because catpiss would probably taste better, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

If your name was David you could shorten it to Dave to save time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Don't bother paying your mortgage. When they ask you to, ask the bank to produce the original (knowing that it's lodged in the Land Registry) and take this as approval that your mortgage does not "exist".

When they threaten to evict you, wave around a copy of the Judgment in Start Mortgages -v- Gunn and pretend the limited facts it applies to are carte blanche to stop all evictions.

**** seems to fly in border towns. Like diesel laundering, subsistence farming and worshipping Sean Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Fasting.

Not only is it physically and spiritually amazing, you save money on food.

Turn off the lights.

You'll sleep better. Try it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Disclaimer: I dont drink coffee. Cant stand the taste nor smell.

The day when a cheap bag of beans picked by a dark skinned person in a foreign country costs more than a cheap bag of beans that were picked by a dark skinned person in a foreign country and then brought to a factory, and then ground up and turned into instant granules is a good day to stop drinking coffee IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

wyndham wrote: »

Bring cat piss in a flask so

Get yourself that expensive "gravel driveway" feel at a fraction of the cost simply by pushing rice crispies between the threads of your car tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Use a knife to scrape the skids off your underpants like you would burnt bits off toast.

Read this post any time I want to do something costly like eat ever again...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Millicent wrote: »
    Read this post any time I want to do something costly like eat ever again...:mad:

Will that not waste time? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Mickey H wrote: »
    Will that not waste time? ;)

Damn it, you're right! I'll save time and remember it instead. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply
    changing your name to match your existing plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I got rid of my coffee machine, hens, bees and bicycle.

syklops wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I dont drink coffee. Cant stand the taste nor smell.

Then why buy a coffee maker at all? It's like Margaritaville from South Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Buy a crockpot for the winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I was fortunate enough to have bought an unsecured bond for 10c that is now worth billions, and all you fools are paying for it..

so, no recession in my houses, no trying to save money here... we will be shooting bottles of cristal this weekend at the country retreat if any of you want to join us..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Jesus! He likes a nice cup of coffee and saved a few quid with a coffee machine!!! Give him a break. I'm happy drinking instant but wouldn't begrudge someone a little of what they fancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Duggy747 wrote: »

I read this as "Use a knife to scrape the kids off your underpants". :(:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

wyndham wrote: »

Do you know who makes Lidl/Aldi coffee? Robert Roberts,bet you're happy enough to drink it in virtually every Cafe/Hotel in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Saying instant coffee is the same as ground coffee is like saying that tinned fruit is just as nice as fresh fruit or that Budweiser tastes as good as those fancier, more expensive beers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement