Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance Writing

Options
  • 21-09-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My career has recently taken a turn down the freelance writing path after a number of years running my own blog and doing my own thing from home.

Basically I'm completely fed up with being on my own as I have been since leaving college and while I enjoy what I do, I'm looking for info on getting back out there.

I've tried working from various libraries, pubs etc but I always fall back into the habit of researching and working from the comfort of my bed! As you can imagine it's bad for the health, both mental and physical.

So I was basically wondering if anyone knows of any place where freelancers / sole traders etc congregate to mix, share ideas and do their work etc? I'm based in Dublin so somewhere in or near town maybe.

An office / office space is the eventual plan but for now any info would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Maybe be look at some of the co-working/hotdesking options in town for some office space. Having done it for a few years I know its tough going working from home and on your own all the time, you lose out on the social interactivity of the work place. Most people have their work social crowd and then their own social circle of friends etc and its tough at times not having both. Even a simple thing as getting up to go to work or putting your feet up when you come in, its just not the same when you get up and just walk a few feet to your desk or at 5pm decide to walk away from the pc. I find also you never really switch off, you answer emails after 5pm and do bits and pieces rather than draw a line at it and close the door like you would normally.

Amworks is one I know of but there are a number of places offering the same wort of office space. Alternatively maybe look and see if there are any business networking groups but they tend to be a bit more based around giving referrals etc than just sharing ideas and having a chat over a coffee. If its financially viable I would say take the jump and get some office space or rent a hotdesk, you will find yourself more productive and healthier mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Yeah thanks mate. You summed it up perfectly when talking about not being able to switch off. I'm constantly working and routine would change that.

Been looking at office space or office share. A couple of friends of mine do their own thing as well in the areas of Film and Photography and may be interested in setting up somewhere with me.

Cheers

Advertisement