Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gigablue Quad

Comments

Hi,

Anyone having issues with Saorview - I updated VIX (new kernel) and DVBt has stopped working.

Yes my dad is having the same issue with his, spent the last two days trying to fix it. I'll let you know if he figures it out

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

ni@ll wrote: »

Yes my dad is having the same issue with his, spent the last two days trying to fix it. I'll let you know if he figures it out

All images are having trouble. GB released a new kernel two days ago and it has knocked all DTT out. Reports from Finland with same issue. No amount of settings fiddling will fix it until GB release new drivers. It's been logged with GB.

I have returned to an old build. I use vix and fresh flashed 574.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yeah, new kernel and drivers were released by gigablue and incorporated by the images. They knocked out DVB-T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Beta testing worked well then :rolleyes:

All images are having trouble. GB released a new kernel two days ago and it has knocked all DTT out. Reports from Finland with same issue. No amount of settings fiddling will fix it until GB release new drivers. It's been logged with GB.

I have returned to an old build. I use vix and fresh flashed 574.

Only option you have is to roll back the image.... or wait for an update to fix it.

http://www.gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=34377#post34377
    Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Beta testing worked well then :rolleyes:

It's open source so the public are making changes... hence the issues :P

over the air software updates shouldn't be allowed to occur on unstable images for these reasons. Hence why the should be beta tested before release :P

Controlled releases won't cause problems like this ...its fine for someone who knows what they are doing to fix but not to the novice.

It's open source so the public are making changes... hence the issues :P

I don't think that the gigablue releases are open to public contributions, or at least I've never seen a public repository.

Zab wrote: »
    I don't think that the gigablue releases are open to public contributions, or at least I've never seen a public repository.

It's Linux based, the updates you get do not come from gigablue they come from the openmips community.

It's Linux based, the updates you get do not come from gigablue they come from the openmips community.

Well, I know the OpenVix guys just tell people to complain to Gigablue when there are any issues with the driver or kernel.

• Advertisement

Which is why i said they should be beta tested before release ... their is the potential to brick your box

Zab wrote: »
    Well, I know the OpenVix guys just tell people to complain to Gigablue when there are any issues with the driver or kernel.

They should take responsibilty for their own actions ..very easy to blame someone else when they release the firmware..

If the drivers aren't upto it then don't release firmware ... Gigablue will soon get the message.

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    They should take responsibilty for their own actions ..very easy to blame someone else when they release the firmware..

If the drivers aren't upto it then don't release firmware ... Gigablue will soon get the message.

I agree, however seeing as Gigablue make and sell the box to begin with I give them the bulk of the blame here. Gigablue will get the message either way.

Looks like this may have been fixed yesterday but remains unreleased at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

It is fixed according to andyblac on WOS and is available with the latest update.

I see Open Vix3.0.589 is now available, dont know if the fix is in that. Couldnt see it in the changelog.

Perhaps keep an eye on WOS Openvix File repository

STB wrote: »
    It is fixed according to andyblac on WOS and is available with the latest update.

I see Open Vix3.0.589 is now available, dont know if the fix is in that. Couldnt see it in the changelog.

Perhaps keep an eye on WOS Openvix File repository
    On 599 now and fix is included. Saorview working

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Were did people buy their Quad from?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Were did people buy their Quad from?
    Hi,
    World of Satellite.co.uk here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/
    5 sterling discount for joining vix here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/

I also both a Vu+ Duo from Satshop.tv here
    http://www.satshop.tv/

I can recommend them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone hear if a release date for the DVBs2 tuner for this receiver is due.
    In Oct it was to be Q1 2013 but havent seen any coming soon notices any where.

Tried gigablue web site but there isnt a phone number, weird for a company selling stuff.. Enquired of WOS as distributor but they havent been told either...

Im keen for 3 sat tuners and dont want to buy without those tuners available....

Anyone hear anything ????
    Hi,
    World of Satellite.co.uk here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/
    5 sterling discount for joining vix here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/

I also both a Vu+ Duo from Satshop.tv here
    http://www.satshop.tv/

I can recommend them both.

dfdream wrote: »
    Anyone hear if a release date for the DVBs2 tuner for this receiver is due.
    In Oct it was to be Q1 2013 but havent seen any coming soon notices any where.

Tried gigablue web site but there isnt a phone number, weird for a company selling stuff.. Enquired of WOS as distributor but they havent been told either...

Im keen for 3 sat tuners and dont want to buy without those tuners available....

Anyone hear anything ????
    http://gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3578

You may need to translate but it looks like end of this month/start of march.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm going to bite the bullet and replace my UE with 1 of these, I'll never use the 4 tuners, but I'd love to have the option.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm going to bite the bullet and replace my UE with 1 of these, I'll never use the 4 tuners, but I'd love to have the option.
    You might be surprised. I use one tuner for Saorview and the two inbuilt Sat tuners for the UK stuff. Even with that I regularly record stuff on my second box so will be getting that third Sat tuner when released.

For the price this a nice bit of kit with great specs and good support, which will even improve as the box is young.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You might be surprised. I use one tuner for Saorview and the two inbuilt Sat tuners for the UK stuff. Even with that I regularly record stuff on my second box so will be getting that third Sat tuner when released.

For the price this a nice bit of kit with great specs and good support, which will even improve as the box is young.

My folks are looking for a combo sat/saorview box so I'm going to give them my UE800 and take the Quad, I'm sound like that, can't wait to start playing with it, I know I'll end up having to put up another dish/lnb as I've already all 4 feeds used up

I contacted the main distributor in Germany today and the guy I was talking to said that in would be summer time before these DVBS-2 tuners are available. He said more than likely July... There was an issue with the design that has to be reworked he said...
    If I upgrade my fear is that the DVBS-2 tuner doesnt appear and Im stuck with the 2 Sat tuners...Gaining nothing..

Seems stupid that they release a gigablue 800 SE, UE and Quad which all take tuners and no DVBS-2 tuners. Will it appear at all.

If this receiver had extra DVBS-2 tuners it would be the ligical upgrade for lots of DUO / TM / Xtrend owners wanting extra tuners with latest processors and VIX support...

D
    http://gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3578

You may need to translate but it looks like end of this month/start of march.

I contacted the main distributor in Germany today and the guy I was talking to said that in would be summer time before these DVBS-2 tuners are available. He said more than likely July... There was an issue with the design that has to be reworked he said...
    If I upgrade my fear is that the DVBS-2 tuner doesnt appear and Im stuck with the 2 Sat tuners...Gaining nothing..

Seems stupid that they release a gigablue 800 SE, UE and Quad which all take tuners and no DVBS-2 tuners. Will it appear at all.

If this receiver had extra DVBS-2 tuners it would be the ligical upgrade for lots of DUO / TM / Xtrend owners wanting extra tuners with latest processors and VIX support...

D

Ah, that's not good. Indications were for 1st quarter this year. GB have been very slow on sorting/fixing some issues - BUT they have corrected a lot of what they committed to - just a bit slower than some people like.

As people have posted on this and other forums it does look like they released this early to get a head start on Vu+ but I believe they will release the tuner. The Quad is my 2nd box and with plugins like remotestreamconvert, remotetimer and HDD mounts on each box there are 4 tuners available which covers the house for now.

Apart from the spec, I chose the Quad for the tuners, 1 Saorview and 3 Sat so I and many others would be rightly pissed if it weren't possible. I can't see GB letting that happen but you are right - it does seem stupid for them not being released by now.

I'm sure there are many people like you waiting. People don't wait forever and I'm sure GB are losing sales.

D

Whats the benefit with DVBS-2? Reading online I can't see much of difference?

Whats the benefit with DVBS-2? Reading online I can't see much of difference?
    There are two S2 already on the Quad. S2 is for HD afaik. S is SD.

There are two S2 already on the Quad. S2 is for HD afaik. S is SD.

so what was dfdream talking about? I'm very confused with his post?

so what was dfdream talking about? I'm very confused with his post?
    I am quite new to this so I may be wrong but my take is that GB released new kits with S2 tuners fitted as standard, but then take over 6 months to release a plug n' play S2.

Dfdream, I hope I am right re. your post!

Yeah the Quad has 2 built in Sat tuners but you can add plug and play tuners to bring it up to 4 (quad). All thats currently available is the terestrial / cable hybrid tuner and the plug and play Satellite tuner when its available would bring it to 3 or 4 satellite tuners. Like you, I want to have 3 satellite and 1 terestrial tuners in the Quad..
    Was looking at the Vu Ultimo where you can currently do this configuration but the processor is alot older than the quad.
    I would wait for next gen DUO or ULTIMO to see what they would be like but the cost would definitely be alot higher..
    I am quite new to this so I may be wrong but my take is that GB released new kits with S2 tuners fitted as standard, but then take over 6 months to release a plug n' play S2.

Dfdream, I hope I am right re. your post!

Yeah the Quad has 2 built in Sat tuners but you can add plug and play tuners to bring it up to 4 (quad). All thats currently available is the terestrial / cable hybrid tuner and the plug and play Satellite tuner when its available would bring it to 3 or 4 satellite tuners. Like you, I want to have 3 satellite and 1 terestrial tuners in the Quad..
    Was looking at the Vu Ultimo where you can currently do this configuration but the processor is alot older than the quad.
    I would wait for next gen DUO or ULTIMO to see what they would be like but the cost would definitely be alot higher..

For what purpose would you want 4 tuners? I have 2 satellite and one terrestrial in mine and was able to record 9 channels simultaneously without any issues???

• Advertisement

For what purpose would you want 4 tuners? I have 2 satellite and one terrestrial in mine and was able to record 9 channels simultaneously without any issues???

Personally, one for Saorview and 3 Sat. Saorview can record nearly all chanells together as they're on the same mux. Likewise, movies, BBC ETC. But most of what we watch are on UK channels and they rarely fall into the same mux so three Sat is better suited. In my house we rarely, if ever, watch live TV.

I do have two boxes linked but I would prefer having the main box with 3 Sat.

The reason for the extra tuners is for some reason all new programs are always on between 8.30 and 10.30 (with most being between 9 and 10 pm). When I set a lot of auto tuner recordings I end up with a lot of conflicts.
    I also would like the extra tuner to access stream from either tabet or XBMC.

D
    Personally, one for Saorview and 3 Sat. Saorview can record nearly all chanells together as they're on the same mux. Likewise, movies, BBC ETC. But most of what we watch are on UK channels and they rarely fall into the same mux so three Sat is better suited. In my house we rarely, if ever, watch live TV.

I do have two boxes linked but I would prefer having the main box with 3 Sat.

Lads,

Where are ye buying the Gigablue Quads from and how much.
    Also how did ye find the service from the vendor you choose..

Im looking around to see whats best...

D

Lads,

Where are ye buying the Gigablue Quads from and how much.
    Also how did ye find the service from the vendor you choose..

Im looking around to see whats best...

D

Hi, I bought the Quad from World Of Satellite in the UK - guaranteed clone free and 5 ponds off as I'm registered to VIX image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Does this box allow IPTV and XMBC please?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Does this box allow IPTV and XMBC please?

Thanks

No MIPS box runs XMBC at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

I see World Of Satellite now have the S2 tuners available.

Just thought you guys might like to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

Cagier wrote: »
    I see World Of Satellite now have the S2 tuners available.

Just thought you guys might like to know!
    Think they are down in price too.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/

€313 for standard twin sat pvr.
    €360 + €25 P+P for twin sat plus twin dvbt option.

Mind you, would these uniboxes be worth a look instead?
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Venton-Unibox-Linux-HD

maik3n wrote: »
    Think they are down in price too.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/

€313 for standard twin sat pvr.
    €360 + €25 P+P for twin sat plus twin dvbt option.

Mind you, would these uniboxes be worth a look instead?
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Venton-Unibox-Linux-HD

Use Parcel Motel for delivery

• Advertisement

Took the plunge yesterday and ordered a QUAD with 3 sat tuners and 1 DTT tuner. Was considering the DUO2 and USB Tuner but with my bad experiences of USB tuners (tried 4 types on DUO and SOLO) I never want to see a USB tuner again.

Would be nice to see transcoding on the QUAD but its not in my top 10 requirements anyway.

By the way WOS are offering £10 off order and with parcel motel I have a serious box for €370 with 4 internal tuners....
    Use Parcel Motel for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

where is the 10 pound off, cant find it anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Gigabit 1000Mbps LAN not supported, that might put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hotallthetime

I cannot get remotestreamconvert to work on this receiver either. Other Plugins do not work on it either.
    As for the big blue light on front. Who's idea was that! I had to put a big piece of tape on front of box to cover it.

What image you using and is it upto date.
    Several have said that RSC works as well on any gigablue (on vix anyway) as on any other box...

I cannot get remotestreamconvert to work on this receiver either. Other Plugins do not work on it either.
    As for the big blue light on front. Who's idea was that! I had to put a big piece of tape on front of box to cover it.

• Advertisement

Do you know if you can use this in addition to the £5 discont for being a member of WoS?

Do you know if you can use this in addition to the £5 discont for being a member of WoS?

Only the one code I think. Finishes this weekend.

Used parcel motel to save the postage... €3.50 instead of €20...Result

Only the one code I think. Finishes this weekend.

Used parcel motel to save the postage... €3.50 instead of €20...Result

Thanks and it was me that advised PM in post 90 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

can anyone tell me what the power consumption is with these in use and in standby?

And i see above that dfdream didnt want to go down the usb tuner route, but is anyone here successfully using a usb dvb tuner without issue? And is anyone using the sony playtv tuner. The reason is i would like to have 4 dvb-s2 tuners plus a dvb-t tuner as i plan to use the receiver with xbmc clients around the house.

can anyone tell me what the power consumption is with these in use and in standby?

And i see above that dfdream didnt want to go down the usb tuner route, but is anyone here successfully using a usb dvb tuner without issue? And is anyone using the sony playtv tuner. The reason is i would like to have 4 dvb-s2 tuners plus a dvb-t tuner as i plan to use the receiver with xbmc clients around the house.

Read post 87 about xbmc

• Advertisement
Advertisement