Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gigablue Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Not looking to run xbmc on it. Xbmc can stream from enigma 2 receivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

Has there been any progress with regard to using solid state disk drives with this STB?
    Looking around on-line, it still seems like there are problems? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

No. Havent seen anything.
    What would be the advantage of SSD.
    The best 1tb ish ssd costs €600 euro which is the least capacity youd need for a box that can record 8-9 HD channels at the same time.

maik3n wrote: »
    Has there been any progress with regard to using solid state disk drives with this STB?
    Looking around on-line, it still seems like there are problems? ;)

dfdream wrote: »
    No. Havent seen anything.
    What would be the advantage of SSD.
    The best 1tb ish ssd costs €600 euro which is the least capacity youd need for a box that can record 8-9 HD channels at the same time.
    We're always hearing about how ssds are quieter, give better boot times for desktops/laptops, so I'm thinking the same would apply for our stb here.

Also, if you were looking to use your stb for pvr purposes rather than archiving, a 120 GB ssd might work out OK. :cool:

Ah OK

Quietness of the SSD would be a help.
    On booting don't expect much difference as it boots from ROM or some onboard flash not HDD.
    We're always hearing about how ssds are quieter, give better boot times for desktops/laptops, so I'm thinking the same would apply for our stb here.

Also, if you were looking to use your stb for pvr purposes rather than archiving, a 120 GB ssd might work out OK. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Have a Duo and a Quad. I really struggle to hear the Quad running unlike the Duo. 2.5 HDD in Quad vs 3.5 HDD in Duo is the main reason. I've also read advise against using SSD in PVRs but can't remember exact reasons - might be worth following up?

Quad is a really quiet machine with a 1tb HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I've also read advise against using SSD in PVRs but can't remember exact reasons - might be worth following up?

Yes, Something to do with SSD-TRIM-alignment. Could wear out disk in no time.

Just wondering did anyone that got a new Quad have any issues with connecting it to network.
    Took out DUO and put in brand new QUAD to same cables. DHCP wouldn't work.
    Assigned Static IP and wouldn't work.
    Sometimes FTP would access box but wouldn't allow upload.
    Tried different cables and network point and router and still network not working properly.
    Both DUO and SOLO worked on every connection and combination.
    Box gone back to vendor..

Just wondering if any other users had similar issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

was this issue solved ?

Regards

Yeah..

Had to return the box to WOS. New one back in 4-5 days.
    All setup now 3 SAT and 1 DVBT tuners and think its excellent.

If there were any obseervastions
    1: Only 9.5mm drives or less fit so currently 1TB is the max. 15mm 2TB 2.5" will fit with modification but don't want to mess with new box.
    2: Crossepg will not download completely for me anyway. So using xmltv importer.
    3: The layout of the remote is poor.
    4: No Gigabit Ethernet... But have a USB one on the way...
    stanley1 wrote: »
    was this issue solved ?

Regards

• Advertisement

They've got their act together with the updates, working very good and a few nice features added each time.

Recommend this box as I've been very happy with it and it's only getter better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

what image are ye using and why?

VIX...

Excellent layout and really smooth operation.

Primarily though the other boxes I have have VIX and it means that others in the house don't have to learn a new image..

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    what image are ye using and why?

Have this from Jan and,from a high number of driver updates, all older issues have been dealt with (except they advertise GBLAN but it is not - though maybe sorted in the future? I don't know) I have never had an issue with crossepg - in fact this is lightening fast and has handled everything I have thrown at it. Using VIX as my opinion is its a very user friendly image with a lot default quality plugins as standard and great support on their forum. I use a universal remote for all my av gear so remote layout is not an issue.

Can't recommend the Quad highly enough - especially at its current price.

I cant see whats going wrong with Crossepg.
    Tried several images and several versions.
    Re-initialised the USB and HDD several times.
    Uploaded logs to WOS but think that Andy is the only ones that can interpret them.

Was setting recordings for the week last night and one said no tuner available (with 3+1 installed) I laughed and thought I need to watch less telly...

Excellent receiver... except for the first one being faulty...
    Have this from Jan and,from a high number of driver updates, all older issues have been dealt with (except they advertise GBLAN but it is not - though maybe sorted in the future? I don't know) I have never had an issue with crossepg - in fact this is lightening fast and has handled everything I have thrown at it. Using VIX as my opinion is its a very user friendly image with a lot default quality plugins as standard and great support on their forum. I use a universal remote for all my av gear so remote layout is not an issue.

Can't recommend the Quad highly enough - especially at its current price.

If you like I can PM you a backup image (without the personal stuff) of my Quad, which DLs Cross nightly - if the setup works on mine - it should on yours. It might highlight something.

Let me know.
    I cant see whats going wrong with Crossepg.
    Tried several images and several versions.
    Re-initialised the USB and HDD several times.
    Uploaded logs to WOS but think that Andy is the only ones that can interpret them.

Was setting recordings for the week last night and one said no tuner available (with 3+1 installed) I laughed and thought I need to watch less telly...

Excellent receiver... except for the first one being faulty...

That would be great...
    On the backups. For the Quad there was only 2 files.
    In the fresh image there was 7-8.
    Do I copy over the extra files to make up the installable backup image...

I think a lot of those files are prompts for LCD display and on screen data. Bare bones will flash but you have to press the OK button a few times for the stick to be read - same procedure but nothing on the box to say Press OK now.
    That would be great...
    On the backups. For the Quad there was only 2 files.
    In the fresh image there was 7-8.
    Do I copy over the extra files to make up the installable backup image...

Just sent it via VIX PM. Easier for me as it has been sent through Tapatalk and Dropbox.

I think a lot of those files are prompts for LCD display and on screen data. Bare bones will flash but you have to press the OK button a few times for the stick to be read - same procedure but nothing on the box to say Press OK now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Have been using the Quad for a few months now, 2xsat & 2x Hybrid DvbT & cable and 1TB HDD. Have an image from opena.tv on it and must say i am very impressed. The download feeds are very well organised, everything that you need.....
    Ohh and crossepg ist running fine on it as you would expect from the Germans. If you fancy trying the image take a look at the forum. They answer questions fairly quickly & in English. If you have any problems let me know & i will translate.

My working Crossepg setup
    Maybe you guys should try the following for your Crossepg problem....at least its how i got mine working.....
    Install crossepg & use the following setup.....
    Configure....ok....storage device: your stick/HDD
    then in the list below: no, no, no, deactivated, yes, yes, no & confirm/save with green for ok
    then openTV providers: Sky UK openTV (Astra2 on 28,2) save & exit (don´t mark 28,4, only causes problems)
    XEPGDB providers: Rytec UK BBCi XMLTV & Rytec UK XMLTV both saved & exit

then update rytec providers & xepgdb providers
    Finally Download now

Anyone have GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner in their quad.

Virtually from day one the GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner would either fail to record on vertical channels (even though all cables are 100% on builtin tuners) and would be ok after full powerdown.

To yesterday the addon tuner wouldn't work on any channel even with powerdown.
    I set to not configured in tuner setup so I could do some recordings and later when I re-enabled it worked on all channels again.

Totally baffled.

I already had the motherboard replaced from new and now this.
    It seems that not many have the GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner so there is very little feedback from anyone on whether others have the issue.

I contacted WOS and due to all the issues Im having they offered a full refund but this doesn't solve the issue for me.
    I suppose they don't have a way to sort this type of issue and getting access to gigablue is impossible even for a distributor...

If anyone has GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner in QUAD let me know how its going for you.

Have the DVB-t one installed as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Virtually from day one the GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner would either fail to record on vertical channels (even though all cables are 100% on builtin tuners) and would be ok after full powerdown.

I set to not configured in tuner setup so I could do some recordings and later when I re-enabled it worked on all channels again.

Totally baffled.

It seems that not many have the GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner so there is very little feedback from anyone on whether others have the issue.

I contacted WOS and due to all the issues Im having they offered a full refund but this doesn't solve the issue for me.
    I suppose they don't have a way to sort this type of issue and getting access to gigablue is impossible even for a distributor...

If anyone has GiGaBlue DVB-S/S2 Plug & Play Satellite tuner in QUAD let me know how its going for you.

Have the Quad with extra DVBS2 and DVBT tuners ordered...waiting for it to be delivered to Parcel Motel. Will be able to let you know next week.

Out of interest one of the main reasons I am going for the quad is because the third tuner on my Vu+ Ultimo never worked right.

Totally baffled.

df, what image are you using on giga quad.

@stanley1: Im using VIX 734..

Have disabled the card so back to 2 sat tuners. Ging fine except had to cancel some auto timers as there wasn't enough tuners available.

df, what image are you using on giga quad.

Totally baffled.

Got the Gigablue Quad with extra DVBS2 and DVBT tuners.

Yes, noticing some funny stuff with the tuners. The plugin third tuner wont tune in DVBS2 channels (works for HD channels from DVBS transponders like ITVHD)

I am on the latest VIX 3.0 image 734. DVBT seems fine.

Hoping this is just a glitch that I can figure out or a software thing

Also when rebooting the box I need to reset my eSata external drive also which is a bit annoying.

• Advertisement

Is the issue you have repeatable.
    If so I have seen on the German GIGABLUE forum that one person has the issue in recent updates but isn't there on images pre July...

Might be worth a try...
    slegs wrote: »
    Got the Gigablue Quad with extra DVBS2 and DVBT tuners.

Yes, noticing some funny stuff with the tuners. The plugin third tuner wont tune in DVBS2 channels (works for HD channels from DVBS transponders like ITVHD)

I am on the latest VIX 3.0 image 734. DVBT seems fine.

Hoping this is just a glitch that I can figure out or a software thing

Also when rebooting the box I need to reset my eSata external drive also which is a bit annoying.

If so I have seen on the German GIGABLUE forum that one person has the issue in recent updates but isn't there on images pre July...

Might be worth a try...

Thanks for the info got your PM. Will check it out. Hopefully its not old hardware and its just a software issue that is fixable.

Might be worth a try...

Yes issue is on all HD channels except those on DVB-S transponders just on tuner C so I think its software...

can't get picons to show on LCD screen on front of box, I'm using latest build of vix, picons are stored in media/usb/picon, they are showing fine on infobar.

can't get picons to show on LCD screen on front of box, I'm using latest build of vix, picons are stored in media/usb/picon, they are showing fine on infobar.

There is usually a separate picons plugin setup for the LCD. I havent done with this box myself but its usually a plugin in Display section

• Advertisement

If you are using vix go into settings and display. And skin setup abd change to picons lcd...
    There is usually a separate picons plugin setup for the LCD. I havent done with this box myself but its usually a plugin in Display section

Might be worth a try...

Just to let you know that I swapped the tuners around and all is OK now. Must have not been seated properly.

Very happy with this box. Top quality and very fast. Much better than even my VU+ Ultimo.

I sent mine back and got a DUO2 with 4 sat tuners.
    What a machine....

Just to let you know that I swapped the tuners around and all is OK now. Must have not been seated properly.

Very happy with this box. Top quality and very fast. Much better than even my VU+ Ultimo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

What a machine....

It would want to be for the price ;)

Hard to beat this GigaBlue Quad for the current price. It ticks all the boxes including power and value.

I imagine the VU+ Duo 2 with extra tuners is a better unit but the price reflects it. (I have had both Vu+ Duo and Ultimo over the lat 3 years so I know how good they are)

I agree the price is mental for the DUO2 but had a bad run with 2 Quads so twas either a refund and have nothing or bite the bullet...

Hard to beat this GigaBlue Quad for the current price. It ticks all the boxes including power and value.

I imagine the VU+ Duo 2 with extra tuners is a better unit but the price reflects it. (I have had both Vu+ Duo and Ultimo over the lat 3 years so I know how good they are)

How well does recording 2 simultaneous channels work on the Quad ?
    Is it smooth ?
    What about recording 2 HD channels and watching a third HD channel in a Triple tuner setup ,is that stable .

Zardoz wrote: »
    How well does recording 2 simultaneous channels work on the Quad ?
    Is it smooth ?
    What about recording 2 HD channels and watching a third HD channel in a Triple tuner setup ,is that stable .
    A few pages back, other people mentioned having issues with the 3rd add on dvbs2 tuner.
    However, I am happy to report that I bought a giga with a 3rd add on dvbs2 tuner and it worked fine right off the bat.

Can record 3 hd channels at the same time with no problems whatsoever.
    I'm running the openmips image. :D

tried that last night and it passed with flying colours, beast of a box, great value for the price.

Can record 3 hd channels at the same time with no problems whatsoever.
    I'm running the openmips image. :D

Thanks for that maik3n,good to know .
    I presume you are recording to an internal hard drive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thanks for that maik3n,good to know .
    I presume you are recording to an internal hard drive ?

I have no problems recording with my gigablue quad running vix 3 and I have an internal 3.5 drive installed...held in place with one screw lol as its intended for a 2.5 drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so mods feel free to move.

Looking at buying either a venton unibox HD or Gigablue HD.Which would be the better one to buy ,they are both the similar prices (venton €10 cheaper).
    I'm buying it as a xmas present and I would like the one that is the most user friendly as it is for someone who wouldn't be the most technically minded.

After performance/specs ,ease of use would be very important.

well both of those boxes would not be considered user friendly for non technical person.

Say exactly what you want to achieve and then get a better suggestion, ie sats, channels, pvr, etc

freesat box might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Looking to buy one of these to replace Sky (€94 per month). It will be a bit of a learning curve, I presume to get up and running. Where would you recommend to buy from and what is the lead times for delivery. My sky runs out on 21st December.. so no pressure on me for all the Christmas TV :eek:

Any links to guides or good websites would be appreciated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Panrich wrote: »
    Looking to buy one of these to replace Sky (€94 per month). It will be a bit of a learning curve, I presume to get up and running. Where would you recommend to buy from and what is the lead times for delivery. My sky runs out on 21st December.. so no pressure on me for all the Christmas TV :eek:

Any links to guides or good websites would be appreciated too.

When you say sky do you mean stations like rte and bbc? This box can replace them but not sky movies, sky sports etc if that is what you want it for. If you just want to get rte and BBC for free you may want to consider much less elaborate and cheaper boxes.
    All depends what you want it for exactly.

iba wrote: »
    When you say sky do you mean stations like rte and bbc? This box can replace them but not sky movies, sky sports etc if that is what you want it for. If you just want to get rte and BBC for free you may want to consider much less elaborate and cheaper boxes.
    All depends what you want it for exactly.

You might be right as I have no experience of this market having been a Sky customer for most of the last 20 years and just an aerial before that. I really just need a box with the following must haves:

EPG for RTE etc. and also the satellite channels
    One box and remote for all channels
    Ability to pause, rewind, record etc.
    No monthly charges

WRONG THREAD

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    ok what you need is a budget, so 94 x 12 = 1128 per annum = a lot.

The box you should get is a VU+ UNO with a twin tuner and an internal HDD. Then you buy a Play TV usb DTT tuner, and the next bit is the image that is important so the best image is Blackhole and the latest is 2.0.7.2. With this setup you have the ideal anything else is a compromise. You may ask why, and these are the reasons.

1. It has a twin sat tuner so you can record one and watch another( in actual fact you can record a lot more but thats when you get serious)

2. The usb play tv is a twin tuner so now with the 2 muxes on saorview you can record one and watch another( in fact you can record nearly all of them at same time)

3. It is the best supported box on the internet.

4. It has 3 usb sockets, so one for flashing ie loading firmware in front of box) 2 at rear, one for storing epg stuff and the other could be used for an external usb HDD if needed.

5. It has double the memory than most boxes so is fast and has 500mhz chip.

6. You will have a box with 4 tuners. 2 x sat and 2 x dtt.

When you have done the above, takes about an hour, you can sit back and relax. After a month you can read up and then realise this box has endless potential.

Where to buy , world of sat, and they will even load image for you, its £309 with a 500gb HDD = 370 EURO, the Sony PS play tv is on ebay for about 30 euro or so.

So for 400 give or take euro you are set fair.

google vu plus community, and just uno for support. If you had lots of money you would get the Vu + Duo2.

I have the uno, its awesome.

gbc--

Don't want to take this thread further offline but a big thank you for the information. It seems that I have plenty to think about.

• Advertisement

oops i got carried away, forgot it was gigablue thread, start another asking is uno worth buying and i can transfer and edit it out.

Advertisement