Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gigablue Quad

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Two questions, where do people recommend to buy the Quad - I see Gigablue are selling direct on Amazon.de?

Can you order a T2 tuner for the extra slots?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

dermiestv wrote: »
    Two questions, where do people recommend to buy the Quad - I see Gigablue are selling direct on Amazon.de?

thanks

Try world of sat or hm Sat shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Ye, world of Sat or Satshop.tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

thanks
    Got mine from WOS
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/
    Used Parcel motel to get free delivery.

It's gone down in price now too.
    With extra sat tuner and dvb-t2 tuner, it comes in at £299.

I dare say I actually like it better than my VuDuo. :D

Many thanks for the feedback.

I'm a bit confused. I don't think the dvb-t2 tuner is available yet.
    I was on to WoS after seeing one advertised on a Finnish site

The very helpful person at WoS first said they didn't exist and then contacted Gigablue. He reported that the DVB-t2 tuner wouldn't be available anywhere until February 2014.

I've not checked with the Finnish site to verify.
    If you have got a dvb-t2 tuner, did you get it from WoS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

why do you want t2 tuner?

Terrestrial HD from the North and future proofing for South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

Many thanks for the feedback.

I'm a bit confused. I don't think the dvb-t2 tuner is available yet.
    I was on to WoS after seeing one advertised on a Finnish site

The very helpful person at WoS first said they didn't exist and then contacted Gigablue. He reported that the DVB-t2 tuner wouldn't be available anywhere until February 2014.

I've not checked with the Finnish site to verify.
    If you have got a dvb-t2 tuner, did you get it from WoS?
    Apologies, am confusing myself, lol. :P
    Was thinking of my short lived spell with the amiko alien t2 box.

The gigablue quad I got from WOS was indeed just a dvb-t model.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 raybaretta

Hi all,

After following these threads I took the plunge and bought the GB Quad with dVBT tuner and the latest Vix version installed. Only arrived yesterday and setting up this afternoon. Whilst not a techie, I consider myself competent but this is a very challenging task.
    I have modest demands for this the irish terrestrial with 8 freesat channels are all I need with a pvr and smart epg, the other extras features are welcome but surplus. I have been a freesat user for three + years and am satisfied with choice and quality of hd, etc but wanted to record and time shift at the time get the saorview services in one box with one remote.

I would be interested in hearing from local users of same h and s/ware with similar needs especially around setting up the bouquets and tuner configs. WoS where I bought it tell me AutoBouquetMaker is only for Satellite and not terrestrial so I am keen to hear how others have sorted this out. I am following the tutorial posted in WoS on newbie set-ups and the ABM tutorial but they are helping only up to a point, I am stuck with the providers list which is blank and whatever I try remains so, what am I doing wrong ?

Yesterday I was watching bbc4 in HD via Freesat through by Panasonic with built in tuner, today, i am six hours into figuring out how to tune the GB Quad. I feel like I am missing something very basic here but can someone suggest where I focus my attention, thanks in advance

Ray

ok thats a very good box but support is paltry. By having imgae pre loaded you are off to a poor start as when you set box up from scratch it guides you through the process and it tells you things like, plug in a lan cable to your router.

As you have the image pre installed you are at a bit of a loss. ie headscracthing. I had open vix for a few hours and did not like it. The best image for a newbie is openatv but that's another story.

In your case you should start a new thread ie help with openvix and new gigablue quad. If we post in here it will get lost. You should say if you have more than one dish as well or motorised.

A lot of these boxes are set up for 28east, so your autobouqet maker will automaticall download details like new channels. But to start you will need a channel settings file installed.

If you are hooked to internet it all becomes clear.

so do another post and say what you have and what you need. say if u have an internal hdd = disc drive. quite a few have vix on here.

• Advertisement

In my experience VIX is simple to use and the wizard can be launched at any stage.

ABM (I don't use) has the option for freesat too - no need for the full Sky listings.

Saorview can be easily setup. I use and maintain my own bouquets and if all you need is Saorview and freesat then there will be very few changes to maintain going forward.

If you are on vix, stay with it. PM me and I can give you a bouquet that contains Saorview and Free to air channels.

I can talk you through some stuff at about 10:30pm if you want - you be set up in no time.

If you want to sort it pm me.

if its all done by pm then other people will never learn and keep on asking same questions. there is usually a ban on giving support by pm for this very reason. if he has a separate posting its stays visible to all for quite a while.

I will post details but understanding the frustration in the post I have offered to talk through the options with the poster tonight while I have a few minutes.

I understand your point, and I have learned everything about these boxes from forums, but I believe PMs are allowed - especially when one is trying to help another (quickly)

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    if its all done by pm then other people will never learn and keep on asking same questions. there is usually a ban on giving support by pm for this very reason. if he has a separate posting its stays visible to all for quite a while.

Many thanks to BB and GBCullen for that swift response, input and the generous offer of PM support. But I don't want mess with the board regs. and GB has a point about others learning from my situation so maybe we should try to see what we can do within the protocols.

So I will detail what it is that I have.

1. GB Quad with 3 x DVB-S/S2 and 1 x DVB-T tuners
    2. Installed HDD (1TB Travelstar 5K1000 2.5-inch SATA) initialised and mounted
    3. Connected to Router/UPC BB
    4. 1 Sat. Dish + 1 Aerial (Saorview/DT)
    5. Two Cables in total through wall - 1 + 1 with a splitter into Sat. + DVB-T
    6. OpenVix 3.0.802
    7. Panasonic 46" Plasma with built-in FreeSat Tuner.

As stated earlier, modest demands and requirements and acknowledging that this is 'over-powered' solution to what I need, that is

1. FreeSat HD TV channels + Saorview services in one box,
    2. PVR and good quality easy to use EPG

Desirable
    1. Streaming options for Media on HDD around house via router.
    2. Potential for further options into the future - why I purchased this box

If there is anything else that is crucial to know before we start, let me know.
    It's a fresh install since yesterday and there is nothing on it that cannot be erased including VIX (if and when taking up GB's suggestion).

I have managed to get the DVB-T see the Saorview services but only after disconnecting the feeds into tuners at the back.

This is the current array.

Tuner A DVB-S/S2 - from Cable 2 with splitter (SAT/UHF/VHF Combiner)
    Tuner B DVB-S/S2 - (EMPTY)
    Tuner C DVB-S/S2 - from Cable 1
    Tuner D DVB-T - from Cable 2 with splitter (SAT/UHF/VHF Combiner)

From what I can gather, I am unable to get anything off the Sat. dish. No Freesat at all and that is what I want to do at least to begin with.

thanks
    r

Hi,

If you want to try either of these before the experts arrive this should get you the stations on Astra 28. You can always do a factory reset after if you do not like the results:

Option a) - Go to Menu/SetUP/Service Searching/Blind Scan and you should see Tuner A at the top of the page and then undeneath make sure that teh sat named is Astra 28.2 and then click enter or scan (not sure which)

Option b) - Go to Menu/Setup/Service Searching/AutoBouquetMaker/and then click on Sky Irl

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Rats bouquet and picon updater are pretty neat, available at digitalworldz.

As Stanley says you could use something like RATS too.

In Vix there are preinstalled bouquet like Rats. Go to Main Menu/Plugins/then click the green button to downlaod Plugins/then go to Settings and you will see a whole list of Bouquets in there with different sats. The second one down for example is called Catseye 28 - so this one is just for Astra 28 - so you could just click on that to get teh Astra 28 stations.

Cheers,

Thanks all for your suggestions.

In a desire to clarify the process, I went back to 'factory reset' and went slowly step by step through the process. This time I kept it simple and it seems to be working. Found the FreeSat and SkyIE providers and it appears deceptively simple in the end. Working on the Saorview presently but expect since I got that yesterday I should be able to reproduce that. Thanks again for the patience shown,
    best

r

ray, this has me confused!!

The panasonic has freesat so has a sat tuner, that gives you 28east. but you need a quad lnb on dish ie 4 feeds.

You must have a box on the wall to hook up the kit. Say how the feeds are from dish and aerial. Is it a 4 way combiner ie 4 sockets at wall near tv?? The way you have it at the moment I am not sure you can get a signal to the quad!!

have you configured the tuners in the quad, a should say simple 28 east lnb 1 or such like. dont know why b is empty? B should be same as A. Have you got a signal to the quad from the dish?

the buttons on vix play a major role, here is a copy. You need to be sure you are getting a signal from dish before going much further.

Button Mappings on vix image.

Short Red** & *** - Show current channel EPG info (ViX Single EPG).
    Long Red ** & *** - Sort single EPG info when in channel list.
    Short Green** & *** - Timers.
    Long Green*** - AutoTimer Timers.
    Short Yellow*** - EPG Search.
    Long Yellow*** - Instant IMDB Database search on the current programme.
    Short Blue - Extensions.
    Long Blue*** - Plugins Menu.
    EPG - Opens ViX EPG.
    Left/Right** - Opens ViX QuickEPG.
    Up/Down** - Open Full Screen Channel List.
    TV Button** - Open Full Screen Channel List.
    Long TV Button - Open Bouquets List.
    ** Can be changed in ViX Menu
    *** Can be turned off in ViX Menu

Does Catseye 28 update automatically or is it a manual job.

TIA

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote: »
    Does Catseye 28 update automatically or is it a manual job.

TIA

Sort of - you have to go to Menu/setup/software update

every so often

ray, this has me confused!!

The panasonic has freesat so has a sat tuner, that gives you 28east. but you need a quad lnb on dish ie 4 feeds.
    I ordered from the installers a quad lnb on the dish with a view to having recording possibilities and told them that my box would have 2-3 tuners. But it is just a hole in the wall and one cable with two lines together one of which has a splitter on the end.

You must have a box on the wall to hook up the kit. Say how the feeds are from dish and aerial. Is it a 4 way combiner ie 4 sockets at wall near tv?? The way you have it at the moment I am not sure you can get a signal to the quad!!
    So no box, sealed from the outside but no box, it is literally running down the roof into the wall. I have to say I have not examined them or can even see them properly because of where they are positioned, i.e. between a stack and the roof on the blind side. So if I went up and had a look, would that confirm it ? But note last my last message, I have managed to get DTT and Freesat and am recording and viewing one off of each.

have you configured the tuners in the quad, a should say simple 28 east lnb 1 or such like. dont know why b is empty? B should be same as A. Have you got a signal to the quad from the dish?
    B is empty because I moved it to C and then got a signal, this was only my trial and error approach initially but at the moment I have only A and D connected from the same line which is then split. So I only have three lines even though I have 4 tuners. What I have done is taken one of the lines and fed it into the Panasonic FSat Tuner to compare with the GB Quad - no comparison at the moment but maybe tweaking required.

the buttons on vix play a major role, here is a copy. You need to be sure you are getting a signal from dish before going much further.

Thanks again, I have made progress on this since yesterday and am up and running. Figuring it all out is going to take time, r

HI,

I'll follow your post to match my setup.

1. GB Quad with 3 x DVB-S/S2 and 1 x DVB-T tuners
    I have Quad with two Sat and one DVB-T
    2. Installed HDD (1TB Travelstar 5K1000 2.5-inch SATA) initialised and mounted
    Internal HDD initialised and mounted also
    3. Connected to Router/UPC BB
    Also connected via cat5 (wired) to UPC
    4. 1 Sat. Dish + 1 Aerial (Saorview/DT)
    one dish with four feeds (two to sitting room and two to bedroom) (old SKY sub) plus one feed for Saorview
    5. Two Cables in total through wall - 1 + 1 with a splitter into Sat. + DVB-T
    Two cables through wall (both Sat) plus one Saorview cable fed from ariel in attic - total three cables feeding Quad

6. OpenVix 3.0.802
    Same
    7. Panasonic 46" Plasma with built-in FreeSat Tuner.
    Samsung TV with no Sat or Saorview capabilities

For my set up I have
    Tuner A DVB-S/S2 - From Sat dish feed one (set in VIX to 28.2E Eutelsat 28A & Astra 1N/2A/2F)
    Tuner B DVB-S/S2 - From Sat dish feed two (this is set up in VIX to equal Tuner A)
    Tuner C DVB-S/S2 - DVB-T Saorview fed from attic ariel
    Tuner D DVB-T - Unused

From your post it appears that you are combining a SAT feed with a Saorview feed (Cable 2 with splitter (SAT/UHF/VHF Combiner)) which I do not use. This may be causing problems explaining why you are only receiving Saorview signal. Try connecting without the splitter?

As stated earlier, modest demands and requirements and acknowledging that this is 'over-powered' solution to what I need, that is

1. FreeSat HD TV channels + Saorview services in one box,
    2. PVR and good quality easy to use EPG

This was the reason I also bought the Quad and is currently working perfectly.

Desirable
    1. Streaming options for Media on HDD around house via router.
    depends on othe equipment within the house. Via router I can share the Quads recordings with a Vu Duo (another enigma2 Sat box), PC, smartphone and even outside my house (though not stable)
    2. Potential for further options into the future - why I purchased this box
    transcoding by the quad will allow you to view live TV and recording anywhere with correct upload/download speeds. Maybe more options also

If there is anything else that is crucial to know before we start, let me know.
    It's a fresh install since yesterday and there is nothing on it that cannot be erased including VIX (if and when taking up GB's suggestion).

Tuner config is critical here. Menu/Setup/service searching/tuner config will list the active tuners the Quad is recognising. Are you seeing only Tuner D?

I have managed to get the DVB-T see the Saorview services but only after disconnecting the feeds into tuners at the back.
    If you remove the splitter and just connect direct feeds what are seeing in Tuner config? just to be safe - whenever you disconnect a cable or change a feed long press the power button and select restart or restart enigma.

Once you know what feeds/tuners are active then you can set up the freesat EPG etc. then you can start to set up cross epg (once set it will run each night and provide a great EPG)

To set cross epg and get the 6/7 day guide follow the below. It is important to select only one Sat in your case (point 12) as anything else is not required and will hog the system resources (though the Quad is well able for it)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images

Integrated EPG can then be this (this is not showing in widescreen)

EPG.jpg

BB,

thanks again,
    HI,

For my set up I have
    Tuner A DVB-S/S2 - From Sat dish feed one (set in VIX to 28.2E Eutelsat 28A & Astra 1N/2A/2F)
    Tuner B DVB-S/S2 - From Sat dish feed two (this is set up in VIX to equal Tuner A)
    Tuner C DVB-S/S2 - DVB-T Saorview fed from attic ariel
    Tuner D DVB-T - Unused

How is the DVB-T feed working in Tuner C ? I thought that it requires Tuner D ?

From your post it appears that you are combining a SAT feed with a Saorview feed (Cable 2 with splitter (SAT/UHF/VHF Combiner)) which I do not use. This may be causing problems explaining why you are only receiving Saorview signal. Try connecting without the splitter?

See message above, I do have both Saorview and Sat now at least.
    So cable 2 with splitter is now in Tuner A (DVB-S/S2) and Tuner D (DVB-T). Seeing as how I had pretty much everything I wanted I did make some small changes like taking Tuner C out and sending it to my Panasonic FreeSat built-in tuner to compare FreeSat on GBQuad.

So how do I connect to the ariel without the splitter ? Then I would need another connector/junction box ? The end of each of the cables is the same. So would that mean another cable from aerial down the roof. Is that necessary now ? I would be interested to hear. (Frankly the signal on Sat and DTT is not that impressive, especially BBC4 HD and the HD signal on Network 2 in contrast to FreeSat built-in). Am I compromising the signal with my hardware set up as it is ?

Tuner config is critical here. Menu/Setup/service searching/tuner config will list the active tuners the Quad is recognising. Are you seeing only Tuner D?

When you say see, you mean listed in the Tuner config.? I have always seen all four from scratch, this is the current list

Tuner A sats: 28.2E...
    Tuner B sats: [blank] - no feed connected
    Tuner C sats: 28.2E - no feed connected
    Tuner D "enabled"

If you remove the splitter and just connect direct feeds what are seeing in Tuner config? just to be safe - whenever you disconnect a cable or change a feed long press the power button and select restart or restart enigma.

As above I would need a new terminator/ to do that but if its already working …? I thought the only way to get Saorview at all was the DVB-T connector. I pulled it watching and the image frozen then reconnected and it was back

Once you know what feeds/tuners are active then you can set up the freesat EPG etc. then you can start to set up cross epg (once set it will run each night and provide a great EPG)

To set cross epg and get the 6/7 day guide follow the below. It is important to select only one Sat in your case (point 12) as anything else is not required and will hog the system resources (though the Quad is well able for it)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images

Next thing then is the EPG then, thanks

r

Button Mappings on vix image.

Short Red** & *** - Show current channel EPG info (ViX Single EPG).
    Long Red ** & *** - Sort single EPG info when in channel list.
    Short Green** & *** - Timers.
    Long Green*** - AutoTimer Timers.
    Short Yellow*** - EPG Search.
    Long Yellow*** - Instant IMDB Database search on the current programme.
    Short Blue - Extensions.
    Long Blue*** - Plugins Menu.
    EPG - Opens ViX EPG.
    Up/Down** - Open Full Screen Channel List.
    TV Button** - Open Full Screen Channel List.
    Long TV Button - Open Bouquets List.
    ** Can be changed in ViX Menu
    *** Can be turned off in ViX Menu

GB
    I have a signal and have managed through this thread (and you and BB and others of course) to get it up and running which is a relief. Its operational and I am getting accustomed to the remote and how this works.

Going back to this post and taking note of the above in particular, the remote has only one blue, yellow, red, green button, so the button mappings are they something default in VIX or do I have to activate them ? Short and Long is how long I hold them down ? Can you clarify ?

thanks
    r

raybaretta wrote: »
    GB
    I have a signal and have managed through this thread (and you and BB and others of course) to get it up and running which is a relief. Its operational and I am getting accustomed to the remote and how this works.

Going back to this post and taking note of the above in particular, the remote has only one blue, yellow, red, green button, so the button mappings are they something default in VIX or do I have to activate them ? Short and Long is how long I hold them down ? Can you clarify ?

thanks
    r

For example, short red means just press the red button normally. Long red means hold it down for about three seconds.

Hi, I'm now trying to set up a new Gigablue Quad.

I've scanned and found all the various satellite and terrestrial channels but am struggling with the concept of bouquets.

I'd be grateful if someone could PM me a Saorview-Freesat bouquet

thanks

you need to say the image you are using to narrow it down. A bouquet is a group of channels held together by genre, so it just means putting all the sports channels into one list, putting all the news channels into one list, then movies, music, entertainment, lifestyle and so on. Then they are all wrapped in .. a bouquet. With a button press the list pops onscreen. With the quad and depending on the image you can downlod autobouquets, say 28east and it will update daily. I dont think there is a bouquet for saotview but there is an integrated EPG depending on image. If you have vix did you press the long tv button?

• Advertisement

Many thanks for that very fast feedback.

I first tried Openmips 2.1 briefly but after all the recommendations, I'm now on Vix 3.0.806 which is the latest one.

I ran the AutoBoquetMaker for FreeSat (NI region) but it seems to have come up with all the SkyTV channels and now I can't find the Saorview channels!

I have to admit to enjoying the fun!.

I first tried Openmips 2.1 briefly but after all the recommendations, I'm now on Vix 3.0.806 which is the latest one.

I ran the AutoBoquetMaker for FreeSat (NI region) but it seems to have come up with all the SkyTV channels and now I can't find the Saorview channels!

This one might have the Saorview channels:

Go to Menu/Setup/Service Searching/AutoBouquetMaker/and then click on Sky Irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

What transmitter are you picking saorview up from. AutoBouquetmaker will not add the saorview channels. You will need to add manually. Best to add them to favourites bouquet.
    I find Autobouquets works better than autobouquetsmaker. You will find autobouquets in menu/plugins/press green/extensions/

You will need to delete the bouquets that autobouquetsmaker created first.

To add saorview channels to favourites, go to terrestrial channels in channel lists, press up arrow on remote and press menu, this brings up options, select add channel to bouquet and add it to favourites.
    To move favourites to top of list, select enable move mode.

It may sound complicated, but its not.

Many thanks, I'll give that a go now for Saorview.
    What transmitter are you picking saorview up from?

Clermont Cairn for Saorview and also picking up Freeview from Kilkeel I think - I'm in Bettystown.

Hi,

Using Vix what is the easiest way to get the dish to park at night - I mean send it to zero degrees so that is totally straight please?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

If you wish to park the dish and avoid wind damage it is recommended that the back of the dish is facing into the wind i.e. The wind flows over the dish and wind loading is minimised.

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    If you wish to park the dish and avoid wind damage it is recommended that the back of the dish is facing into the wind i.e. The wind flows over the dish and wind loading is minimised.

Thanks for that.

I should have said that the dish is motorised and it is not possible to make the back of the dish face into the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Then you move the dish to a position where as little of the front of the dish is facing into the wind as possible, and it's mostly the rear of the dish facing the wind

Two quick questions please guys. I'm using OpenVix 3.0.

How do you stop a recording during a programme without deleting it - so that you keep part of the recording?

How do you change channel numbers?
    At the minute I've got all the channels in nice bouquets but if I press number 2 it skips to a random BBC channel. Or if I'm watching RTE2 can press the Channel Down button, it turns to some XXX Flirt channel.
    Not good in front of the teenagers!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

1- to stop a recording if its a timer recording press the green button and select the recording and press red button to delete. Choose stop and delete option. If the recording was started from the red REC button then press the red REC button again and choose stop recording. If more that 1 recording is going on a list will appear and select the one you want to stop...

2 - By default pressing a number should go to the channel in your bouquets.
    pressing 2 should go to the second channel in the first bouquet you have.
    Press blue button and go to top bouquet in list... press OK and see what channel number 2 is... Also ensure that in Button Setup in settings that Channel +/- button mode is set to Just Change Channels... Note also if you are in channel list for the first bouquet and press Channel Down button it goes to the last bouquet in your list which might be XXX channels..
    Two quick questions please guys. I'm using OpenVix 3.0.

How do you stop a recording during a programme without deleting it - so that you keep part of the recording?

How do you change channel numbers?
    At the minute I've got all the channels in nice bouquets but if I press number 2 it skips to a random BBC channel. Or if I'm watching RTE2 can press the Channel Down button, it turns to some XXX Flirt channel.
    Not good in front of the teenagers!

thanks

Many thanks dfdream

I've since found out that the suspect channels are the last ones on the Freesat bouquet list and that if I'm recording something on RTE 1, it skips from RTE2 over into the end of the previous bouquet. So I'll just need to reorder.

Thankfully I'm now up to speed on DreamboxEdit so that bit is easy.

Now if only I could work out how to play a recording….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

If you press the VIDEO button what comes up ?
    It should browse to the folder where your recordings are set to go to...

Many thanks dfdream

I've since found out that the suspect channels are the last ones on the Freesat bouquet list and that if I'm recording something on RTE 1, it skips from RTE2 over into the end of the previous bouquet. So I'll just need to reorder.

Thankfully I'm now up to speed on DreamboxEdit so that bit is easy.

Now if only I could work out how to play a recording….

Thanks again, played back a few programmes successfully using the FList key

A problem now is that there are some random Zero length recordings under Vix 3.0, build 8.0.7. It has happened too often in the last two days.

There are no softcams installed afaik.

I've rolled back the Gigablue drivers to 2013/12/02 following the advice here..

Now I just have to run some tests and see if that fixed things

long gone thread, but any help on update (green flashing) is always on, thought it maybe timers but eliminated that., any help appreciated or maybe reflash time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

stanley1 wrote: »
    long gone thread, but any help on update (green flashing) is always on, thought it maybe timers but eliminated that., any help appreciated or maybe reflash time.
    Green flashing light means there is an image update available. that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Hi.

Going to keep this as brief as possible as I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Deaf guy here. Subtitles absolutely essential for watching tv.
    Looking to get both Irish and UK channels with 7 day EPG for both.
    Must be capable of recording programs with subtitles. (this is where supposedly a lot of boxes on the market disappoint -the program would be subtitled at time of broadcast but upon playback, the subtitles aren't available).

Two questions I hope someone can help me with-
    1 -Firstly could someone confirm that the Gigablue Quad box can record programs with subtitles?
    2- The Gigablue Quad box is currently £199 on World Of Sat. Is this overkill for what I need or is there a cheaper alternative available that would do the job?

Thanks!

Hi, I did a few checks for you and I can confirm that using an image called blackhole on a vu+ uno you can record substitles. I then tried openatv image on a solo2 and that can record subtitles. The blackhole image wont work on a gigablue quad.

The gigablue is not a box I know anything about but for you will need a dtt twin tuner added and a hard drive and possibly a usb stick.

a better alternative would be a solo se with twin dvbs2 tuner and then get a play tv usb tuner from ebay. you will need a usb hdd as well. all a bit cheaper but you need to know about flashing images etc

however there is a duo2 at wos for 318 that will do almost everything and a 500gb hdd is 40 extra. a lot better than a gigablue and that will need extras as well. you could start a separate thread and get more recommendations. I don't dabble that much anymore so knowledge of new stuff is limited and i wont get cheap.

Advertisement