Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Dressing up as a G actually :pac: along with knacker drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm going as David Bowie in the Ziggy Stardust years. I will inevitably attempt to sing his songs tonight after I get a couple of bottles of wine into me.

I'm going as David Bowie in the Ziggy Stardust years. I will inevitably attempt to sing his songs tonight after I get a couple of bottles of wine into me.

I will inevitably attempt to rap. After a few drinks, it won't be pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was going to go as Woody from Toy Story. I was going to look class. Then my car decided to break down on the main street in Kilkenny at 11:15 this morning.

Had to get my dad to come out and try to jump start it. That didn't work. Had to leave it there and go back home. Then I had to pack my bag and make it up to Dublin Port for my boat across to Holyhead.

Long story short, despite my dad breaking the limit on many occasions we didn't make it. Had to spend the day in the library in the Ilac Centre. I'm currently on the boat going across to Holyhead. It's a pure disaster.

I'm going to arrive at 12:20. I've to drive one of the girls cars back to Bangor. I'm hoping that I can get back to my room by 1. If I manage that then I'm going to skull a naggin and head out. **** dressing up at this stage. The nightclub I'm hoping everyone is going to stays open until 3. If I can just get in then I'll be bang on.

I like to live life on the edge. Helps me to feel more alive :pac:.

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Dressing up as a G actually :pac: along with knacker drinking

Will you be drinking a 40? Just to finish the look like :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've only discovered this thread now.

I are genius.

I came home early. My Spanish neighbours seem to think I'm dead sound. Invited me out the next night. Can't wait. They're a sound bunch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I had to stay at home last night. I had a ticket to go see Jack White, but my daughter was a bit sick, so the ,missus went without me. I ended up listening to the little one crying for about 4 hours straight.

Well, not 4 hours straight, there was a 10 minute period where she was shouting 'HELLO' at me. Turns out she wanted to play with a telephone. When she got her hands on the phone, she resumed the wailing, but with a toy phone pressed to her ear.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm gonna have to stop coming home on random bikes at 4 in the morning, i have 3 now, the oul lad is not impressed. I also did significant damage to the ozone layer last night.

Dont even know why i'm up, my bed is calling me again

I was going to go as Woody from Toy Story. I was going to look class. Then my car decided to break down on the main street in Kilkenny at 11:15 this morning.

Had to get my dad to come out and try to jump start it. That didn't work. Had to leave it there and go back home. Then I had to pack my bag and make it up to Dublin Port for my boat across to Holyhead.

Long story short, despite my dad breaking the limit on many occasions we didn't make it. Had to spend the day in the library in the Ilac Centre. I'm currently on the boat going across to Holyhead. It's a pure disaster.

I'm going to arrive at 12:20. I've to drive one of the girls cars back to Bangor. I'm hoping that I can get back to my room by 1. If I manage that then I'm going to skull a naggin and head out. **** dressing up at this stage. The nightclub I'm hoping everyone is going to stays open until 3. If I can just get in then I'll be bang on.

I like to live life on the edge. Helps me to feel more alive :pac:.

I didn't make it back in time :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

went trick or treat with my son(3) last night ................i dressed as Gangsta-Santa hehe
    I've started to introduce the lad to hip hop music (he doesn't seem to mind ...................well he hasn't told me to turn it off yet ),
    in the car I'd stick on , mostly old skool stuff for him from Nas , Mobb deep , oc, but have let him listen to the likes of KL, J cole, frank ocean ,

is he too young to be exposed ???

wifey ain't happy ................then again she an x-factor head (so wouldn't know anything about music )

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

baddebt wrote: »
    went trick or treat with my son(3) last night ................i dressed as Gangsta-Santa hehe
    I've started to introduce the lad to hip hop music (he doesn't seem to mind ...................well he hasn't told me to turn it off yet ),
    in the car I'd stick on , mostly old skool stuff for him from Nas , Mobb deep , oc, but have let him listen to the likes of KL, J cole, frank ocean ,

wifey ain't happy ................then again she an x-factor head (so wouldn't know anything about music )

Not at all too young. I have my 2 little 'uns listening to hip hop. I was listening to the new Sean P album with the 4 year old the other day. He appeared to like it.
    He also raps along to a few Beastie Boys songs.

My wifepiece has some taste, but rock orientated, and the kids sway more towards that now than hip hop.

This is a most brutal hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

baddebt wrote: »

You are doing the right thing, child shouldn't be growing up thinking x-factor is the height of entertainment and musical talent. They will be surrounded by children who do as it's all they will know.

I don't have a kid, but when I do they will know biggie smalls tunes from they're no age, along with plenty of other stuff like johnny cash, queens of the stone age etc.

If I ever have children I'd like to think I'd raise them with my musical taste, but I think kids have a tendency to go against their parents eventually in this matter. My father is still horrified that I grew to love hip hop. He just doesn't understand it at all and frequently has to have me explain its appeal. He's a Bob Dylan aficionado so I thought he'd at least appreciate the fact the music is so lyrics-focused, but he just doesn't get it. But then I don't think he understands anything that came after 1970.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to stop coming home on random bikes at 4 in the morning, i have 3 now, the oul lad is not impressed. I also did significant damage to the ozone layer last night.

Dont even know why i'm up, my bed is calling me again

If I misconstrued the post, I apologise but as somebody who has had more than one bike stolen, if your stealing bikes drunkenly, you're an ignorant piece of ****.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Not at all too young. I have my 2 little 'uns listening to hip hop. I was listening to the new Sean P album with the 4 year old the other day. He appeared to like it.
    He also raps along to a few Beastie Boys songs.

My wifepiece has some taste, but rock orientated, and the kids sway more towards that now than hip hop.

I wouldn't be putting them into hip-hop till they were old enough to understand the large gap between a lot of hip-hop music and reality, and that the language used and way they portray women isn't appropriate in the real world.

Not that I think hip-hop is responsible for corrupting today's youth, but at the same time kids at a young age are impressionable.

floggg wrote: »
    I wouldn't be putting them into hip-hop till they were old enough to understand the large gap between a lot of hip-hop music and reality, and that the language used and way they portray women isn't appropriate in the real world.

Not that I think hip-hop is responsible for corrupting today's youth, but at the same time kids at a young age are impressionable.

Hugely impressionable, but I think that at a young age they learn quicker that it's music and not reality. So later they can distinguish quicker.
    At this time in thier life, they use music in activities and for background noise. Music starting and ending, or with a long pause has more of an influence rather than the subject matter.

Not all hip hop does that.

If I misconstrued the post, I apologise but as somebody who has had more than one bike stolen, if your stealing bikes drunkenly, you're an ignorant piece of ****.

oh no an anonymous randomer on the internet who has never spoken to me or seen me before in his life is judging me, whatever shall i do, my whole day has been ruined, damn you.......

Pfft :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

oh no an anonymous randomer on the internet who has never spoken to me or seen me before in his life is judging me, whatever shall i do, my whole day has been ruined, damn you.......

That's like the first time I've seen the rolleyes emoticon in the Hip-Hop forum :(

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    That's like the first time I've seen the rolleyes emoticon in the Hip-Hop forum :(

i apologise :( it's not exactly the most gangsta emoticon around haha

Not all hip hop does that.

Sean P does!

I think kids can separate the two, and I think if the parents explain these things to them it's fine. If just be worried about them picking up language and not appreciating its meaning and context.

Dropping the n word in the wrong company could be troublesome!

I wouldn't expect it to bother you. It's not like I called you a decent person. Clearly somebody stealing bikes doesn't give a **** about others.

Keep doing you though. I'm sure you'll do magical things in life.

I'm sure you'll do magical things in life.

Yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

What are peoples general professions on here? Apart from P4ddy clearly being a most studious sort;)

Myself im working in a bar at the minute and absolutely loving it. Also coahcing soccer and tennis in a primary school. Cos the kids are off this week though im in both jobs every day.

Worked it out there that by friday evening ill have done a 67 hour week. And that isnt with a minute of exaggeration. Its going to be a toughie. 22 done at the minute

Student in uni too. Currently studying in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

A student too, mature student at that. In cit doing social care

Student teaching students. Doing a postgrad in Wales in primary teaching.

Started teaching this week. Went alright. Some serious amount of paper work to be filled out though. I'm snowed under and it's only the second day. I've another 43 to go :(.

Have to correct 15 copies, do a lesson plan and evaluate my teaching and the pupils learning for tomorrow. I've to be up at 6.30. I'm giving myself till 2 and then I'm packing it in. Need to make my lunch as well before I go to bed.

It's my birthday this Friday. Safe to say I'll be drinking lots of pints that night and sleeping a **** load on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Ugh. If there's one profession I could never excel in, it's teaching. No patience for that at all.

Ugh. If there's one profession I could never excel in, it's teaching. No patience for that at all.

I love it. I hate the paperwork, but I love everything else about it.

The children are great. It's fantastic to see children who are struggling with some area of their school work finally get it right. The smile on their face makes up for all of the torment that they might give you.

Did I mention I hate the paperwork? There is so much of it. It'll get easier when/if I get a job but at the moment it's pretty horrific. I've done 5 hours after I got home from school, and I'm still not finished. I'm just on a break atm.

I nearly wish I was back doing the Leaving.

I love it. I hate the paperwork, but I love everything else about it.

The children are great. It's fantastic to see children who are struggling with some area of their school work finally get it right. The smile on their face makes up for all of the torment that they might give you.

Did I mention I hate the paperwork? There is so much of it. It'll get easier when/if I get a job but at the moment it's pretty horrific. I've done 5 hours after I got home from school, and I'm still not finished. I'm just on a break atm.

I nearly wish I was back doing the Leaving.

I actually have a lot of admiration for people in that profession because I could never do it. Children are amazing, but I'm just not very good with them. Some people are just brilliant at interacting and engaging with children.

I actually have a lot of admiration for people in that profession because I could never do it. Children are amazing, but I'm just not very good with them. Some people are just brilliant at interacting and engaging with children.

Yea my brother is a bit like that. He is fantastic at talking to younger children. He's great with our cousins when we go visiting.

I think you just have to lose yourself in their world really. Leave all your inhibitions at the door in the morning. If you don't then you'll look and feel uncomfortable up in front of the class and then the children will pick up on it straight away.

I could do the whole office job thing, but I really wouldn't if I had a choice.

I wanted to be a solicitor when I was nearing the end of my time in secondary school. There's almost as many jobs in that as there are in teaching, none!

Yea my brother is a bit like that. He is fantastic at talking to younger children. He's great with our cousins when we go visiting.

I think you just have to lose yourself in their world really. Leave all your inhibitions at the door in the morning. If you don't then you'll look and feel uncomfortable up in front of the class and then the children will pick up on it straight away.

I wanted to be a solicitor when I was nearing the end of my time in secondary school. There's almost as many jobs in that as there are in teaching, none!

I should really be better than I am given I have five nieces and nephews. I've gotten better with them as they're getting older. My oldest nephew just turned 15, and if I may say so myself, I actually think he thinks I'm pretty cool. :D Small children though, forget it. I have no idea. If I ever decide to have my own children, hopefully I'll be better, but I couldn't work with children.

I think I'm more suited to jobs that require isolation and working alone and being my own boss.

What made you drift away from law?

What made you drift away from law?

The effort you having to do some study for the Leaving to get the points :pac:.

My dad always said that I'd make a good solicitor. I reckon I would have as well. What area I'd have gone into, I'm not sure. My cousin is a conveyancy solicitor. I don't think I'd like that. I always had dreams of being in court representing people and arguing the **** out of cases :P.

I switched about half way through 6th year I think. Back then I wasn't all that into the whole working side of the academic life. I was very good but lazy as sin. I've had to change.

Who knows, I may end up going down that path later on in life. I'm 22 now. I may not still be a teacher in 20/30 years time. I suppose if I really wanted I could do a Masters course that is linked to teaching and law, if one like that exists.

I think it's about time that I give up my dream of becoming a professional footballer and try to get a real job.

• Advertisement

The effort you having to do some study for the Leaving to get the points :pac:.

My dad always said that I'd make a good solicitor. I reckon I would have as well. What area I'd have gone into, I'm not sure. My cousin is a conveyancy solicitor. I don't think I'd like that. I always had dreams of being in court representing people and arguing the **** out of cases :P.

I switched about half way through 6th year I think. Back then I wasn't all that into the whole working side of the academic life. I was very good but lazy as sin. I've had to change.

Who knows, I may end up going down that path later on in life. I'm 22 now. I may not still be a teacher in 20/30 years time. I suppose if I really wanted I could do a Masters course that is linked to teaching and law, if one like that exists.

I think it's about time that I give up my dream of becoming a professional footballer and try to get a real job.

I think people have ideas about law that don't have much basis in reality - I think people think it's like a movie, when it's not really.

I still have no idea where I'm going. It's going to be something literature/writing related, but I'm still so undecided. I want to try my hand at everything! Makes it difficult to focus, as well as having other problems that affect my concentration anyway. I'm glad I'm learning a new language anyway. I'd hate to go through my life knowing nothing other than English.

I'm glad I'm learning a new language anyway. I'd hate to go through my life knowing nothing other than English.

When I was younger, i found learning new languages quite easy. When I started off in school, I went to an English speaking school, after a few years, I moved to an Irish speaking school and the transition was easy enough although my classmates where way ahead of me in the language. I studied Italian for my Junior and Leaving Certs and found it easy as well and got good marks.
    I kind of regret not going any further with languages.

Since then I've been picking up small bits of Arabic and Swahili just from conversation. I'm quite comfortable with greetings and pleasantries now......but not at the stage where I can haggle with Taxi drivers!

I've also been learning German, my wifepiece is German and the 2 kids are being brought up as bi-lingual, so I'm learning lots at home.

And besides that, I've been a Software Support Engineer for the past 7 years now in the same company. It's a pretty challenging job, any day can bring any type of new problem to look at, and sometimes it gets quite political. When I left college I wanted to be a developer, but I'm glad I fell into this side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ive been working with kids for the guts of 10 years now and I used to think like that with them. But a couple of years ago I changed my mindset for kids of 9/10 upwards.

Now I chat to them as i would my mates(barring the swearing and yore ma jokes of course). of course they will talk some nonsense like we all did but i find i can get them to concentrate more if im having normal conversations with them.

With the younger ones (3 yrs and up) though i completely agree and i find it an absolute blast. Everyday they will get upset but its forgotten about so quickly and they are back smiling again. absolutely love it

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Ive been working with kids for the guts of 10 years now and I used to think like that with them. But a couple of years ago I changed my mindset for kids of 9/10 upwards.

Now I chat to them as i would my mates(barring the swearing and yore ma jokes of course). of course they will talk some nonsense like we all did but i find i can get them to concentrate more if im having normal conversations with them.

With the younger ones (3 yrs and up) though i completely agree and i find it an absolute blast. Everyday they will get upset but its forgotten about so quickly and they are back smiling again. absolutely love it

Yea of course. I'm working with 7 year olds at the moment. They're in the transition period between infants and 'big school'. Some of them are still really innocent.

I've taught in 5th class for a while last year and I loved it. The children were responding to my questions and you were able to have a conversation with them.

If I was in 5th now I'd ask them about the election last night. Chances are a few of them might have heard about it at home and they'd be able to tell me something.

With the younger children you'd be just wasting your time. In a class of 30 maybe 1/2 might have a vague idea. The rest mightn't even know where or what America is.

Just completed my first week of teaching practice. Managed not to get any fail marks in my assessment. Got top marks for my planning so happy enough with that.

It's also my birthday today so I'll heading for about 65 pints tonight. Anyone who's around Bangor tonight is welcome to come along for a few ha.

• Advertisement

Just completed my first week of teaching practice. Managed not to get any fail marks in my assessment. Got top marks for my planning so happy enough with that.

It's also my birthday today so I'll heading for about 65 pints tonight. Anyone who's around Bangor tonight is welcome to come along for a few ha.

Happy birthday!

Is anyone thinking of going to Kendrick Lamar in January? I'm thinking of postponing my flight back to Spain after Christmas to go.

Happy Birthday Jimmy, have a good one ye ould b*llix :D

Not sure about going to K.Dot yet. I'd love to but have to make sure i'm not travelling with work first.

Happy birthday Jimmy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Good thread this lads, bita community goin on in here. Happy birthday Jimmay!

On a rap film buzz atm, watched CB4, Art of Rap, Bigge and Tupac & Beats Rhymes and life (ATCQ Doc) in the last month or so. Will be watching RZA's film very soon in the cinema.
    Any more suggestions?

Wu The Story Of The Wu-Tang Clan-2008 is downloading as we speak :cool:

ps. anyone know much about the Big L documentary that was supposed to be in the works?

weemcd wrote: »
    Good thread this lads, bita community goin on in here. Happy birthday Jimmay!

On a rap film buzz atm, watched CB4, Art of Rap, Bigge and Tupac & Beats Rhymes and life (ATCQ Doc) in the last month or so. Will be watching RZA's film very soon in the cinema.
    Any more suggestions?

Wu The Story Of The Wu-Tang Clan-2008 is downloading as we speak :cool:

ps. anyone know much about the Big L documentary that was supposed to be in the works?

That wu tang documentary is on youtube in full afaik, well it was last time i checked :)
    There was a good documentary on channel 4 or bbc a while back, "how hip hop changed the world" worth a look :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Akala was hosting a great documentary on channel 4 Life of Rhyme is well worth a watch.

Happy birthday Jimmy, a bit late and you probably wouldn't even be likely able to read at this stage anyway.

Happy birthday Jimmy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Happy birthday Jimmy :P

Good to see TP went well for you....keep up the good worK!

I'm a first year B.Ed student (Primary Teaching)

I was in school for the second time on Monday...teacher was missing so the head master took the class (1st class)...was a little worried to be in a class with the top guy but naaaa he's sound out and pretty relaxed...he's very enthusiastic for his age...he's not too old but you know most older teachers tend to be more blunt but this guy made learning real fun...you could tell he was a class full time teacher in his day...learned a lot from him and his methods...

but yeah almost forgot, he got me and my TP partner to do one lesson each on our own...mine was a basic reading lesson and asking the children q's but it was on the spot. like he asked me about an hour in advance would i do it and i was hardly gonna say no...but yeah loved it...after settling the kids down after break and telling a few hyper kids to sshhhh and focus it was clean sailing...it felt great being in command...I got some buzz from just getting them to shout the words of the story out with me...the head master said I did very well too...looking fwd to anymore lessons I can do :D

My god it was tiring though and I naturally have a loud voice and I could feel my voice going all raspy and dry a few hours later :P

Good stuff though, can't wait for monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Lots of teachers into their hip-hop, best type of teachers.

I am a Programmer.

Merci for the birthday wishes. It was a good one. Straight back to doing work now though.
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    Happy birthday Jimmy :P

Good to see TP went well for you....keep up the good worK!

I'm a first year B.Ed student (Primary Teaching)

I was in school for the second time on Monday...teacher was missing so the head master took the class (1st class)...was a little worried to be in a class with the top guy but naaaa he's sound out and pretty relaxed...he's very enthusiastic for his age...he's not too old but you know most older teachers tend to be more blunt but this guy made learning real fun...you could tell he was a class full time teacher in his day...learned a lot from him and his methods...

but yeah almost forgot, he got me and my TP partner to do one lesson each on our own...mine was a basic reading lesson and asking the children q's but it was on the spot. like he asked me about an hour in advance would i do it and i was hardly gonna say no...but yeah loved it...after settling the kids down after break and telling a few hyper kids to sshhhh and focus it was clean sailing...it felt great being in command...I got some buzz from just getting them to shout the words of the story out with me...the head master said I did very well too...looking fwd to anymore lessons I can do :D

My god it was tiring though and I naturally have a loud voice and I could feel my voice going all raspy and dry a few hours later :P

Good stuff though, can't wait for monday.

Good to hear that you like the teaching.

One tip. I had PE on Friday and had no control of the class. I was trying to talk over them. The teacher took me aside and told me to wait for them to stop talking. It might seem like it takes forever but it'll work. I did it anyway. Praised the children who were being quiet and waited for the others. Eventually they all copped on and I was able to talk again.

If you use that you'll be onto a winner and your voice will be fine after.

Don't try and talk over them. It's a recipe for disaster. It doesn't matter if you have a loud voice or not, you'll still strain it trying to talk over children.

Also if the teacher has any lollypop sticks in the class you should write the names of the children on them. Then use them as a questioning technique. You pick out a random stick and the child whose name is on it has to answer. It gets rid of the nightmare situation where you ask who knows the answer and the same three hands go up every time.

That transformed my lessons during the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement