Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op Interview with Intel.

Options
  • 21-09-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everyone. I have a coop interview on Monday with Intel, Shannon
    Does anyone know what specific questions do they usually ask.
    I am doing Electronic&Computer Engineering, year 2 (LM118)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im a current intern there atm.

Cant remember any crazy questions, nothing that would throw you off anyway.

Be prepared to be quizzed on your CV. Your CV has got you the interview in the first place. Personally as a mature student I had a few developed skills to offer, they love Linux, and they love people that can use Linux, they love if you've worked on extra software related projects outside of college, I had voluntary work done on the Ubuntu project.

But above all, and Ive heard this from the horses mouth ...your interviewer...my boss...they want somebody that's interested in the work and very importantly can get on with people, ie fit in well with your team.

So my advice, be yourself, be chatty, be interested, & want the job.

Best of luck.

Absolutely awesome company to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

I've done an interview with them before.

They'll ask you about any projects you've worked on in college/outside of college, how you found working with other people if it was a group project, if you encountered any problems and how you overcame them, etc

They'll probably ask you about what you've covered in college and what areas interested you most.

They didn't ask me many technical questions from what I can remember - I think they don't really expect you to have a massive technical knowledge since you've only 1 year of college done, they just look for a genuine interest in engineering and willingness to learn instead.

They might ask you a question to test your logic - I got asked this one in mine

And as Stuxnet said it's a great place to work in!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bombibom

Thanks for the replays lads. I'm a mature student and I don't feel very confident at interviews in general.I do have some extra skills mostly with networking and computer repairs but from previous interviews last week I found out that it doesn't really matter if you can't make a good impression on the day.
    Anyway we'll see how it goes on Monday.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

Best of luck with that bombibom...

I'm a mature student just starting LM051 and hoping to land something for next summer, so Intel is of great interest to me...

Please update the thread with how it went ;)

Nice link Squarewave,very interesting...

Thanks. I will.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with that bombibom...

I'm a mature student just starting LM051 and hoping to land something for next summer, so Intel is of great interest to me...

Please update the thread with how it went ;)

Nice link Squarewave,very interesting...
    a mature student from lm051 nearly always gets the Sys Admin position (me this year, one last year, and one the year before !)......the rest of the positions go to engineering students, they end up doing sw lab work, and one or 2 business students doing business stuff

Hi lads.
    Just reporting back.
    The interview went well and I'm going to spend 8-9 months in Intel Shannon next year.
    Thanks for all the tips.
    Another last question maybe is how is the salary in Intel for interns.
    The reason I'm asking is because I will be clocking around 135-140km round trip every day plus toll's charges both ways.
    Please feel free to PM this info. It's only for my own use and won't be shared with anyone.
    Cheers

well its no secret, its just over minimum wage

Ill tell you what I get right now as an intern, 697.07 after tax paid fortnightly. You'll get a bonus relocation payment in your first payment ~600 euros iircc, and 2 cash bonus through out the co-op, first paid in July, second in January. Lots of company perks thrown in also :-)

ya I have the toll also twice daily, & 2 kids... doesn't leave much in your pocket believe me...but I would of done the Intel co-op for free, it'll be priceless on your CV providing you do well :-D

eta congrats by the way ! you might be my apprentice next summer :-p

:)
    Stuxnet wrote: »
    well its no secret, its just over minimum wage

Ill tell you what I get right now as an intern, 697.07 after tax paid fortnightly. You'll get a bonus relocation payment in your first payment ~600 euros iircc, and 2 cash bonus through out the co-op, first paid in July, second in January. Lots of company perks thrown in also :-)

ya I have the toll also twice daily, & 2 kids... doesn't leave much in your pocket believe me...but I would of done the Intel co-op for free, it'll be priceless on your CV providing you do well :-D

eta congrats by the way ! you might be my apprentice next summer :-p
    Thanks for the quick replay man. That should do me. I'm in the same boat with an extra kid though. But still as you said it is once in a live time opportunity to have a chance with Intel. I would be more than happy to be your apprentice :):):)
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bombibom wrote: »
    I would be more than happy to be your apprentice :):):)
    Cheers

Wait 'til you meet him... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Do they just recruit Engineers or are they interested in people from a Science background? Physics etc.

mcdbd wrote: »
    Do they just recruit Engineers or are they interested in people from a Science background? Physics etc.

Shannon site is pretty much all project development so its 99% computer science/engineering students that get hired from UL, (can only speak from what Ive seen) afaik one business student was hired the time I was hired also, there were 6/7 from UL in total, May-January

I don't know what other students were hired and from what courses in other college's but there were quite a few, was about 30 at its peak, most are gone back to college now bar the UL students, as we get a 8 month internship.

If you have a physics background, you should be looking at Intel site in Leixlip imo where they fabricate the processors etc, good chance your skills could fit in there somewhere.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

I just got offered a co-op with Intel yesterday, only a five month one though (Due to my college). Just wanted to know if its possible to negotiate salary or would it be set?

Its set.

Saw a few young lads in reception during the week, all kitted out in their suits, tis interview season, you could see the fear/nerves on their faces, was gas :-D

Its set.

Saw a few young lads in reception during the week, all kitted out in their suits, tis interview season, you could see the fear/nerves on their faces, was gas :-D

One of them was me, thanks! Anonymous internet ehh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Its set.

I was going to say "Bet you weren't saying that last year."

Then I remembered that you basically had the job since you started in first year, so you probably were. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I did my internship at Intel in 2005. It was a fantastic experience. David Knowles was my manager - great guy. We were taken on a trip to the facility up in Leixlip as well. Don't mess around there, keep your head down and you'll go far. It was a great spring board to getting a job when I graduated. I'm now in a very senior position at a financial services company in the US.

Do they hire anyone that has interned with them? I saw on their site that they hire past interns and also pay for masters etc too.

Hi Barry, I'm there atm on internship & yes, the placement is meant to lead to you being hired - it actually specifically says this on the job spec... And yes, they offer scholarships to top graders - I applied but missed out, a UL colleague pipped me :)

'tis fab btw, 100% recommendable, top environment, ace folk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Hi Barry, I'm there atm on internship & yes, the placement is meant to lead to you being hired - it actually specifically says this on the job spec... And yes, they offer scholarships to top graders - I applied but missed out, a UL colleague pipped me :)

'tis fab btw, 100% recommendable, top environment, ace folk ;)

Out of interest what is your job description while you are on placement there?

• Advertisement

My job title is "student software engineer"

I work with a team that supports Intel's customers. The general area is called "server virtualization" ie: running multiple virtual machines (servers) off one single set of physical hardware. The specific work the team does involves DPDK (google it) which is software the customers use to speed up IP packet transfers to virtual machines. It's open source because they want people to use it. You can download and install it eg: on Fedora. It works on most and all modern Intel architectures, Google SDN - software defined networks.

At my skill level, there's no way I can deal directly with customers, which is what my team does, and we're talking about senior engineers with the DPDK implementation teams of some big names operating in linux server-land. So they have me writing code to benchmark the performance of DPDK, to build POCs (proofs of concept) - if they claim that DPDK can achieve xyz, they need to prove this. Essentially, I'm working developing software testing tools. I'm involved in background work that's not critical to the core operations of the team, which gives me great room, while I get to play with some seriously powerful machines.

This is the approach they take in general. There is a very strong program of internship in place. You are not worked as cheap labour, they can afford to, and are, investing in you in the hope that you will prove good and come back to them. The work is cutting edge. There is, by definition, the problem of a constant shortage of skills in new technologies, skills that take time to develop. This is why they grow their own talent.

There are roughly 20-25 interns there atm. Many are back for their second or third internship. If you prove good, you can be offered eg: a summer job between 3rd and 4th year, and chances are, eventually hired. I work with many people who joined Intel years ago this way. Internship (a worldwide program) is a means they use to recruit long-term staff, from, but not exclusively from, a reliable academic background that they can train up themselves, and they want to keep them.

They give unending support. I have regular "1 on 1" meetings with my manger to manage my progress. I have a mentor assigned to me from within the team - he schedules and monitors my work, and helps me if I am unable to solve a problem myself, which is what I'm meant to do. There are hours and hours and hours of training videos you have to complete. There are regular dedicated team-task-orientated training sessions given to me by my team members. There are eg: free books on C programming given to you for keeps.

There is a great work environment - really, really good. There are top notch quality people, who are very approachable, all around. They have all that stuff like free coffees and fresh juice, free organic fruit, a video gaming room, a free gym, free membership with a swimming pool, and so on. You are no different from any other staff member eg: you get free health cover, just like everyone else - you are deliberately treated the same, with no difference in benefits - you get the same as everyone else.

The work is definitely challenging, and the learning curve is very steep and you are expected to ramp it yourself, albeit with lots of backing. All interns have to do one short "Brown Bag" presentation, outlining your work since you started - a 10 minute session in front of a group of managers, who deliberately include senior people, basically scouting for talent - think of it as a job interview in front of lots of team managers - if you can show that you can apply yourself and progress, that's what's they are giving their time, as part of the internship program, to find.

They are aware that you may not have done a module in C, or that your knowledge of xyz is basic - most did similar degrees to yours and travelled the same route. They are looking for people who have talent and ability, and who can get on well with the other people working there. Your current skill level is irrelevant, as long as you've proved yourself a top achiever at that level - so don't panic, they want strong potential, and not instant mastery, as a prerequisite. Just because you may know little about what they're doing, because you're early in your career, is not of consequence. Being able to ramp up quickly and return on the investment they are making in you, is. I certainly recommend the opportunity.

If you're interested, phone reception and ask for the email address of someone to talk to about internships.

Advertisement