Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New router

Options
  • 21-09-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

hi there, looking into getting a new wireless router because the basic UPC router (EPC2425) is pure crap in terms of its wireless ability, so i need some recommendations for a new router which i can use the DMZ feature to connect to, im currently on the 30mb package so ill need something that has got good wireless range for better speeds, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

ugglasdav wrote: »
    hi there, looking into getting a new wireless router because the basic UPC router (EPC2425) is pure crap in terms of its wireless ability, so i need some recommendations for a new router which i can use the DMZ feature to connect to, im currently on the 30mb package so ill need something that has got good wireless range for better speeds, thanks :)

I think you have a cisco epc2425. This is a home gateway - ie it is a combination of cable modem & wireless router. The TV cable connects into the back, is that right? If so, you may not be able to replace it yourself. If you install a different DOCSIS CM then the MAC address will likely be blocked, & it simply will not come online. I think the best option is probably to get an 802.11n wireless Access Point & connect that to the gateway, using an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

FoxT wrote: »
    I think you have a cisco epc2425. This is a home gateway - ie it is a combination of cable modem & wireless router. The TV cable connects into the back, is that right? If so, you may not be able to replace it yourself. If you install a different DOCSIS CM then the MAC address will likely be blocked, & it simply will not come online. I think the best option is probably to get an 802.11n wireless Access Point & connect that to the gateway, using an ethernet cable.

i would connect the new router up through DMZ, the UPC will still be there but i will have a better router connected to it, just need an idea on what router to get but

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

ugglasdav wrote: »
    i would connect the new router up through DMZ, the UPC will still be there but i will have a better router connected to it, just need an idea on what router to get but

You could open up the Cisco, find the broadcast point, solder on some wire, drill a hole into the box and add a dipole antenna. its going to improve the signal!

Otherwise buy a Cisco Linksys E4200 v2 Dual-Band N900 router

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/cisco-linksys-e4200-v2/4505-3319_7-35098697.html

Advertisement